Top Speed - Texas Mile 3/2012

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LongNap

Reaction score
Two questions I have to ask:

1) Anyone know how fast the Gen2 will go stock?

(I took mine to 158 mph last Saturday but didn't want to push it too much more on the street)

2) Anyone interest in joining me in March for the Texas Mile?

I will be registering in January so please let me know.

I'll feed this thread as I learn more.

Thanks
David.

Ok, I did one more search and filtered for Motorcycles. I didn't see not one VMax!

http://www.texasmile.net/mileresults.php?page=2&ps=1

I see that even a HD Wide Glide was ran in October.

So if anyone is interested please let me know. I will would love to put a team together and run this thing with a couple of Vmax's to boot. It's a really good way to base line your ride and get your name on the list. Wasn't a lot of bikes considering the size of this event.

My goal is the 200 MPH club so I don't think the Vmax will get me there without some modding so I will have to pick up a GSXR1300 sooner or later but would be really cool to see how close the Vmax would get me!??

I have seen 171, I run the corrected speedo as well.

What do you weigh.....and was that in full tuck?
I don't think the gen2 will see much over 180 without a gearing change.....and that's not so easy on a shaft drive:ummm:

I have seen 171, I run the corrected speedo as well.

So I would love to run 200 on my Vmax but don't think I'm willing to make the needed changes to do it? If I could without going into the motor I might consider it but otherwise I will run this March for a baseline and go from there.

It will be a few years before I pay this one off and I need to wait until then before buying the Hayabusa.

On the other hand it would be really cool to do it on a Vmax.

I guess we'll see but for now I just need to find one other guy to join me in the fun!

:rocket bike:

What do you weigh.....and was that in full tuck?
I don't think the gen2 will see much over 180 without a gearing change.....and that's not so easy on a shaft drive:ummm:

If I could run 180 with just removing the mirrors... then I would be really happy! :eusa_dance:

That would put me in range for 200 for sure but if I only run 160 to maybe 170 then that's a little too far off the mark.

My biggest concern would be tearing into my bike and it never being the same.

I've been down that road before and don't like the feeling I get once I start and it never fills right afterwards. :bang head:

A shaft drive VMax will not hit 200mph no matter how much motor you have. Even with my chain drive I currently run out of gearing before I run out of motor. If I go down a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket I might get there, but I think that I would need to hit the NOS to get the HP up enough to do it. Right now I don't know where I top out at, but it is well past the 165mph I could do with the shaft drive.........:punk:

I think it took Bill approx 210-225 rwhp on a stripped down gen 1 Vmax to get there. It's lighter, chain drive, and big displacement (still smaller then the gen 2 but more hp which is what you have to use).

Wind pressures start requiring exponential HP increases to move the next MPH level. I could go 125-130 on my Seca Turbo with only 90ish HP. The Gen 1 could only go 150-155 with 130ish. The Gen 2 will probably only hit the mid 170's with 180ish.

So, get out your wallets and get a bigger engine since you're going to need it!

Sean

Sean

I am 205 suited up, and yes full tuck.
I also have the stock Yami hard bags.
That was all she had....

A shaft drive VMax will not hit 200mph no matter how much motor you have. Even with my chain drive I currently run out of gearing before I run out of motor. If I go down a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket I might get there, but I think that I would need to hit the NOS to get the HP up enough to do it. Right now I don't know where I top out at, but it is well past the 165mph I could do with the shaft drive.........:punk:

Well, I won't be converting my 09 to a chain so that's out of the question but I understand what you're saying.

I really think I will have to buy a Hayabusa to see that 200mph club plaque on my garage wall!?

But none the less I will be running the Vmax come March :scooter 1:

I think it took Bill approx 210-225 rwhp on a stripped down gen 1 Vmax to get there. It's lighter, chain drive, and big displacement (still smaller then the gen 2 but more hp which is what you have to use).

Wind pressures start requiring exponential HP increases to move the next MPH level. I could go 125-130 on my Seca Turbo with only 90ish HP. The Gen 1 could only go 150-155 with 130ish. The Gen 2 will probably only hit the mid 170's with 180ish.

So, get out your wallets and get a bigger engine since you're going to need it!

Sean

Sean

You know I didn't think of that... I could look for another Gen 1 and do the convert on it. Might come out costing the same as a nice used Hayabusa but I could do it on a Vmax (v-twin) and stand out a little? :ummm:

I may have to give some thought to that... I need to get to know Bill or anyone that's ran the Texas Mile before.

Lot's of learning and preparing ahead for me.

Thanks for the info... got me wondering now! :)

David.

I am 205 suited up, and yes full tuck.
I also have the stock Yami hard bags.
That was all she had....

I'll have to weigh with all my gear on... I think I'm at 184 before getting in the shower so my guess would be pretty close to you?

Not sure if I'll be able to wait until March to find out! LOL

I might need a 1.5 mile road to run before then... I don't want to do it on public freeway or roads.

I need a airstrip to play on!

Bill runs the "Maxton Mile" which is pretty much the same thing. He's got the vmax record and the all out record (300mph). I do have an engine (and chassis) in the for sale section that should get you to maybe the 230-250mph range if you are looking to get into it serious.

Engine made 200 rwhp on motor and 300 on the nitrous. It ran 8.30's at 160 (in the quarter). It will need regeared for your top speed run which should be easy.

Sean

300MPH is correct though it was not on a Vmax powered bike. The bike was more like seen on salt flat streamliner and I think was a turbo powered hayabusa engine. He's recently crashed and his onboard video was recently posted. looked like the front end lifted at 230-240mph or so and during the shut down the bike crashed as the surface transitioned from one medium to a different one.

Sean

300MPH is correct though it was not on a Vmax powered bike. The bike was more like seen on salt flat streamliner and I think was a turbo powered hayabusa engine. He's recently crashed and his onboard video was recently posted. looked like the front end lifted at 230-240mph or so and during the shut down the bike crashed as the surface transitioned from one medium to a different one.

Sean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2j68kptHqU

Is this the video you are referring to?
Seems like the bike takes some gearing to go that fast. Sounds like it has a hard time pulling from a dead stop in first. Then he hit over 100mph before shifting into second.

Hope Bill is doing OK.

From the word I get Bills doing well. The gearing required for 300mph does require having to bog it to get it going (imagine starting in 3rd/4th gear).

Sean

Wind resistance increases with the cube of the speed, so you need a LOT more power to go a tiny bit faster. That 1000hp Bugatti "only" manages like 250mph, whereas a car with ~400hp can do 200mph. 150% more HP for only 25% more speed.

Wonder if the physical shaft components would even stand up to spinning that fast? There's some heavy gears in there, and the centrifugal force again increases with the cube of rotational speed. I imagine an exploding pumpkin at 200mpg would ruin your day in a hurry.

I'm hoping I'll be able to peg the stock speedo with a full exhaust and jetting, and a Venture drive. Currently it'll wind up to ~145 given enough room in full on tank hugger mode. Which with the current gearing, is like 8800rpm and that's all she's got.

Latest posts

Back