Transporting a shotgun....while riding.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank5079

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, as long as it's not loaded, it should be legal to transport on my bike.....right??

945632_4635330613250_1334199200_n.jpg

216266_4635328893207_2105425902_n.jpg

Depends on the state. In Texas it would be perfectly legal loaded with one
In the chamber.

There are no restrictions regarding carrying long guns at all other than "gun free" zones that apply to all firearms, like schools and "offices of government" and private property restrictions within the owners rights, like a mall parking lot or a store etc. should they choose to post it.

Better yet no gun law in Texas addresses the loaded or unloaded condition of the weapon what so ever. Its either legal or not without regards to loaded status.

There IS a disorderly conduct offense regarding carrying of a weapon in a manner CALCULATED to PURPOSELY cause alarm, which means just because some old ninny freaks the fuck out at your gun doesn't mean you "calculated" to cause her alarm. You pretty much gotta be pointing it at someone.

Every state is different though, would need to check your states gun laws.

Also consider that if open carry of the weapon is legal where you're at having it inside a case could possibly be interpreted as being concealed which might not be legal.

And just remember that ALOT of cops don't have a clue what the actual gun laws are so be prepared to be harassed.

A guy in Temple was arrested the other day while doing a scouting hike with his son in pursuit of an eagle badge. He was legal, the cops knew it and didn't give a shit.
Admittedly the guy knew he was in the right so would not take any shit from the cop which aggravated the situation.

The charge ended up being interfering with a police officer cause they couldn't charge him for the gun.
His son shot the whole thing on video and its in YouTube, very interesting video to see how ignorant some cops are.

Why, it's legal here (in NYS) as long as it's unloaded.
Personally, I'd take my car if I wanted to take a shotgun along though.

Actually Dennis, I don't think it is legal here....the folding stock and pistol grip put it in the restricted category, I'm pretty sure! I had to remove a pistol grip/folding stock from one of mine to avoid conflict with the NY SAFE Act.

Course it didn't matter in the end anyhow cause all my guns got melted down in that completely unexpected volcanic eruption a few months ago! :bang head:

Actually Dennis, I don't think it is legal here....the folding stock and pistol grip put it in the restricted category, I'm pretty sure! I had to remove a pistol grip/folding stock from one of mine to avoid conflict with the NY SAFE Act.

Course it didn't matter in the end anyhow cause all my guns got melted down in that completely unexpected volcanic eruption a few months ago! :bang head:
Actually I don't think that applies to pump shotguns, just semi-auto shotguns:
What guns are banned in New York? The NY Safe Act of 2013 bans semi-automatic rifles, shotguns and pistols purchased after Jan. 15, 2013 that have one prohibited feature – such as a pistol grip, a folding stock or a flash suppressor. This is the state’s new definition of an assault weapon. The ban does not cover pistol grip shotguns.
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2013/01/details_about_new_yorks_new_gu.html

Looks like you're right! I can't read very far into it as it just brings back memories of that awful night....the volcano....the heat and fire...all my guns....:sad2: Oiy!!
:rofl_200::punk::rofl_200:

OK...at the risk of my peace of mind I took a quick peek :blink000:

"What guns are banned in New York? The NY Safe Act of 2013 bans semi-automatic rifles, shotguns and pistols purchased after Jan. 15, 2013 that have one prohibited feature – such as a pistol grip, a folding stock or a flash suppressor. This is the state’s new definition of an assault weapon. The ban does not cover pistol grip shotguns."

That clears it up....why was I having problems understanding it.....:ummm:

I had something to say but this is not posted in the Burn Out Pit like it should be so I'd probably be banned...I think I'm on the edge most of the time anyway.

OK...at the risk of my peace of mind I took a quick peek :blink000:

"What guns are banned in New York? The NY Safe Act of 2013 bans semi-automatic rifles, shotguns and pistols purchased after Jan. 15, 2013 that have one prohibited feature – such as a pistol grip, a folding stock or a flash suppressor. This is the state’s new definition of an assault weapon. The ban does not cover pistol grip shotguns."

That clears it up....why was I having problems understanding it.....:ummm:

".....such as a pistol grip, a folding stock or a flash suppressor. This is the state’s new definition of an assault weapon. The ban does not cover pistol grip shotguns."

Wow!!! If I wasn't thoroughly confused earlier, I'm really confused now.....:confused2:good thing I live here in Kentucky.....

You need to do your own research, don't take my word for it; but here is the nutshell of what I found in about 15 minutes of web time.

If you live in Kentucky as your profile states, then you live in a state with some of the most generous open carry laws around. Open, non-concealed, non CCDW permit carry is allowed and you can open carry virtually anywhere, both handguns and longings. Loaded status does not matter.

They cannot be concealed (not in plain view) on or about ones person unless you have a CCDW permit.

Its called a CCDW in Kentucky because the permit allows you to concealed carry virtually any deadly weapon, something I wish Texas had. Lots of times an ASP baton is more appropriate

If they are not concealed you are good to go.

I would think a closed rack you added to the bike or that soft pack in the picture would likely be interpreted as concealed.

There's some details about vehicle carry that actually define manufactured storage compartments installed by the vehicle manufacturer as allowable for non-permitted carry and NOT falling under the definition of concealed. Under the seat gets you in jail, in the glove box or in a seat back pocket won't. I didn't read far enough to really analyze that part

But plain view is plain view. BUT, for the protection of gun owners it is stipulated that plain view does not mean someone outside the vehicle must be able to see it from any angle, mostly to keep a gun on your right hip from being considered concealed when seated in a vehicle.

I think a sturdy secure shotgun rack bolted to some frame braces would be just the ticket. Might want to get one of those stainless Marlin marine jobs and a rack that can be locked when your not there.

But don't take my word for any of this do your research and make damn sure you have a detailed, thorough and drilled into your brain knowledge of your State gun laws to the point you can cite chapter and verse. It is something I think any responsible gun "carrier" should do, otherwise your flirting with disaster.

And don't bother asking your local police.
It IS ok for taking a pulse on the local LEO Mentality and attitude; but with all due respect in my experience there are many police that don't have a fucking clue what the true laws are and make it up as they go; letting the District Attorney decide to formally charge you or not.

We still have cops in Texas that aren't aware in 2007 a bill passed to allow any non criminal citizen to carry in their vehicle without a CCW.

THAT is the best reason to just get a concealed carry license and avoid all the roadside arguments about what is and isn't legal you may have with a LEO.

On that shotgun length issue;

Kentucky has no law therefore adheres to Federal law.

Which is 26" minimum overall length
18" minimum barrel length.

Back