Trash or Treasure

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
A friend of my wifes family was getting rid of some "junk" a couple months ago and my wifes uncle thought I may be interested in some of it.

After a short ride up the road I came home with a trampoline appox. 12' diameter with a net enclosure and.... Panterra, 50cc, 4 cycle dirt bike.

Both items were a little rough looking but I figured if they don't work out I'm not out anything but some fuel.

I put the tramp together and everything was there, every spring, everything. Great! My kids, 6 YO daughter and 4 YO son, are loving it. The legs are bit rusty but it works.

Now, on to the bike. He said it hasn't been ran in a few years. He couldn't get it to start. I couldn't get it to start. Took it home. Cleaned the plug, put in some oil, cleaned the carb, and air filter. I kicked it over and over and over. She wouldn't go. Plug was soaked with fuel and oil. Played with it pulled and cleaned the plug, kicked it a few times to clear the chamber, put the plug back in and it finally came alive!!

I weigh in around 205 and my boy is around 40 lbs and this lil 50cc bike will haul us both around the yard! My wife and daughter had "girls day" yesterday so my son and I went for a ride in the yard. 2 hrs later and he wouldn't let me put it away. The faster we went the more he liked it. I don't think I've ever seen him have so much fun. It was a great afternoon.

I must say the bike is a bear to fire up. Seems like its pulling a ton of oil into the engine. Oil drips out the exhaust pipe to muffler joint. And it shoots out black smoke. Its funny to see when you sit still for about 5 seconds and gas it..Smoke screen effect. Not sure exactly what the issue with it is but oh well, it was free and its fun.

So, as the saying goes- One mans trash, another mans (or boys) treasure

Last edited by a moderator:
haha thats awesome u got it running. any pics?

Do the auto transmission cleaning method. Mix some auto trans fluid and fuel together and run it down the carb while you hold the rpm's up. Works well to clean the rings, cylinders, and heads/valves.

Sean

Yeah, my thinkin' was along Sean's lines--possibly the rings need to be freed up a bit...

Latest posts

Back