UFO dragstar pipe

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I buy the UFO pipe I want to gut the insides of the fatory mufflers any advice?

Nothing to lose doing it. Stock exhaust ain't worth much for resale anyway. I did mine years ago, actually sounded pretty good, definitely loud. Most defintely did not lose any performance by doing it. The muffler itself is very restrictive with a lot of chambers and passages, the length of passage inside the muffler from entrance to exit is probably twice or three times the length of the can itself. You wouldn't believe the amount of shit inside that can. I won't say it made any more power, but it for sure didn't hurt performance.

Drill a bunch of holes around the outside edges of the outlet and then use a jig saw to cut around that connecting the holes together. After that it's just a matter of using drift pins and crow bars to work all that crap out of there. There's also some stuff way down in there you can use a 2' long drill bit and just keep punching holes in it till there is basically nothing left.
When your done use a file or a die grinder to clean it up and touch up the edges with black paint. The finshed job comes out looking clean and not butchered at all if you take your time and do it right. If your getting another exhaust later why not? it can't hurt, it'll sound good to you for a while till you decide what exhaust you really want. And yes, the main pipes and the collector box/garabge can on the stock system is a big holdup on performance, plus it's REALLY heavy, I don't remember exactly but I think the weight loss by ditching the stock exhaust was something on the order of 20-23lbs

BTW, I have a UFO 4-2, the original version in stainless with 14" aluminum cans and it sounds excellent and is as good as quality as "Marks". I love it! The latest slash cuts he makes are also very good quality, but yes they are extremely loud. the mufflers are basically non-repackable glass pack, although they won't have glass in them they will have metal stuffing.

But if I was buying a new system and paying full price I would go with Marks, UFO can be difficult to deal with at times for some people, although I have never had an issue with him others have...

[QUOTE=

I think the weight loss by ditching the stock exhaust was something on the order of 20-23lbs

BTW, I have a UFO 4-2, the original version in stainless with 14" aluminum cans and it sounds excellent and is as good as quality as "Marks". I love it! The latest slash cuts he makes are also very good quality, but yes they are extremely loud. the mufflers are basically non-repackable glass pack, although they won't have glass in them they will have metal stuffing.

+ 1 on the weight loss , why are ufo cans non-repackable ? I would think you could cut & paste like a Kerker , plus there are other cans out there you could mate up to the ufo .

Thanks gentlemen. I think I'm going to hold off on a full system at this time leaving me with gutting my factory exhaust or an used set of supertrapps. I'll post a pic either way.

haha yeah my UFO system is so loud even harley guys stay in front of me...I just wear ear plugs no biggie...They are a decent system,,but not the best..

I also have a UFO 4-2 system. The quad slash pipes were so loud, my ears would ring for hours after a long ride with ear plugs. No one would ride with me after a few weeks. I ended up putting supertrap superlight stainless cans on it. Sounds great now. I bought my system used for $700 and was very happy with the quality. I also got Seans jet kit but have not installed it yet. It is overall rich, but runs well, just lots of black soot out the exhaust.

The UFO megaphones are repackable. I dont have any experiance with any other UFO stuff.

For sure the megaphones are...

The ones I think are non-repackable were only the slash cuts like Rhoy Carter has, one like at 'em and I see no way they can be dissasembled like a normal muffler.

I could be wrong tho...wouldn't be the first time that's for sure.

The Quadzilla's with the slash cut mufflers don't look to me like they are repackable either......

http://planetvmax.com/85-07vmax/exhaust/ufo-streetpro-slashcut

I feel obligated to add my opinion here in the hopes that I can save someone time and money.

I purchased the dragstar almost right when it came out. My riding buddy had a 4-1 Kerker with regular street baffle, and I thought it was too quiet for my taste - so the dragstar was my next step.
(no, I did not hear the comp baffle in a kerker before going dragstar:bang head:)

I spoke w/Jon on the phone prior to ordering, as well as after the parts arrived with no issues. It arrived when he said it would, and bolted up easily enough for me to do it myself.

When I first cranked her up, I was awestruck with the sound. I had some fiddling to do with the jetting, but still sounded like everyone thinks a cammed hot rod sounds. I was very pleased with the sound type. Sound LEVEL however quickly became a nuisance. Sure, it had that wow factor that onlookers would comment on, and my riding buddies said it was loud- but they didnt have to put up with it ALL THE TIME.

I took it down to Sean's shop when I was in Kansas, and he worked the jetting with me along with helping me tweak his jet kit to my application. I drove off happy - and it felt stronger.

When I got to the dyno in Topeka, it barely made 119 - there were several other vmaxxers there for a dyno day, and they all had some kind words about how it looked, and of course everyone said it sounded good at the time - but I knew it was all charity. (no prob guys) When I brought her out of the dyno with 119, I think everyone knew right there in person that this pipe just didnt perform to my expectations - but everyone was still nice and maybe they felt bad that I dropped so much coin on such a crappy setup. I've never met a nicer group of vmaxxers than those from the Kansas region.

So if I had to do it all over again, I would definitely shelve the UFO idea. Sean has been around long enough to know what works, and I would always defer to his judgement. Not to mention so many guys are running Kerker 4-1's here for a reason. I just didnt want to make another carbon copy of everyone's exhaust choices. Now I know better.

I've since sold the Vmax, but still hang out here from time to time - and I'm glad to help those not make the same mistakes I did. It's just too damn loud for the poor performance it provides. If I put down 125 - 130 on the dyno, I might have put up with the noise.

Happy to discuss further
Ski

I feel obligated to add my opinion here in the hopes that I can save someone time and money.

I purchased the dragstar almost right when it came out. My riding buddy had a 4-1 Kerker with regular street baffle, and I thought it was too quiet for my taste - so the dragstar was my next step.
(no, I did not hear the comp baffle in a kerker before going dragstar:bang head:)

I spoke w/Jon on the phone prior to ordering, as well as after the parts arrived with no issues. It arrived when he said it would, and bolted up easily enough for me to do it myself.

When I first cranked her up, I was awestruck with the sound. I had some fiddling to do with the jetting, but still sounded like everyone thinks a cammed hot rod sounds. I was very pleased with the sound type. Sound LEVEL however quickly became a nuisance. Sure, it had that wow factor that onlookers would comment on, and my riding buddies said it was loud- but they didnt have to put up with it ALL THE TIME.

I took it down to Sean's shop when I was in Kansas, and he worked the jetting with me along with helping me tweak his jet kit to my application. I drove off happy - and it felt stronger.

When I got to the dyno in Topeka, it barely made 119 - there were several other vmaxxers there for a dyno day, and they all had some kind words about how it looked, and of course everyone said it sounded good at the time - but I knew it was all charity. (no prob guys) When I brought her out of the dyno with 119, I think everyone knew right there in person that this pipe just didnt perform to my expectations - but everyone was still nice and maybe they felt bad that I dropped so much coin on such a crappy setup. I've never met a nicer group of vmaxxers than those from the Kansas region.

So if I had to do it all over again, I would definitely shelve the UFO idea. Sean has been around long enough to know what works, and I would always defer to his judgement. Not to mention so many guys are running Kerker 4-1's here for a reason. I just didnt want to make another carbon copy of everyone's exhaust choices. Now I know better.

I've since sold the Vmax, but still hang out here from time to time - and I'm glad to help those not make the same mistakes I did. It's just too damn loud for the poor performance it provides. If I put down 125 - 130 on the dyno, I might have put up with the noise.

Happy to discuss further
Ski

Ski, glad to hear from ya! Are you still deployed?

Hey Man -

I've always been here, just not as often as I would like.

Returned in 2009, picked up a 09 Victory 8 ball cruiser with my pocket of deployment cash that was burning a hole in the pocket.

You wouldnt believe how many times I've been on ebay or cycle trader checking out the vmax market since I sold my max.

I was riding my max too recklessly, and had to sell her before I did something stupid.

Now, I'm in a far-off country that has import restrictions on bikes that limit the size to 250cc's or less. Can you imagine that?

Still, I'm brushing up on all the familiar carb and exhaust questions/posts that seem to keep coming up all the time.

I've promised myself another vmax when I get home in a few years.

I couldnt pass up this latest dragstar post. I kick myself for buying that system, and though I dont have near the knowlege of most on the board here - I feel pretty qualified to discuss the dragstar.

I've enjoyed seeing everyone's avatar change from time to time - and I know that though we all might go separate ways, its good to see some familiar names on here as I lurk every so often.

I hate thread jacking, so I'll close for now...its bedtime.

Keep it between the lines
Ski

Back