V-Max purchase - Verificaton attached

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah ... its one of those "because you can" things. It's really quite over the top, but its a heck of a lot of fun. And I certainly didn't want to be a slow pig on the road just because I have a sidecar. The supercharger ensures that I can get that rig moving in a hurry.
HAHAHA, I bet!!:clapping:

why would you want your front wheel to lock up? could go for the better brakes but that sounds a little dangerous.

I should be more clear. I don't want to ride around locking up my front tire. What I want is to know that I can get the maximum amount of braking power out of the front rubber.

So if I can lock up the front tire, or even just get it chirping a bit, then I know that I can utilize the full stopping power. From there, you learn to use what you need from the particular bike, and you learn how hard you can mash on the brakes before locking up the tire.

So you are quite correct. Do not go out and lock up your front tire. It's far more dangerous than locking up the rear and it can cause you to crash the bike in a hurry if you don't get off the brake fast. But at the same time, having the ability to brake hard in an emergency is very important, and its a good thing to know just how hard you can mash on those brakes before causing your tire to break loose.

Make sure for OEM you look at Mondak Motorsports and check out the VMF links page for ALL KINDS of helpful links... Oh and stay away from UFO... Big ass hat not worthy of your money...

Chris

Make sure for OEM you look at Mondak Motorsports and check out the VMF links page for ALL KINDS of helpful links... Oh and stay away from UFO... Big ass hat not worthy of your money...

Chris

Thanks. I ordered a half dozen items this morning. I looked at UFO's stuff, but went a different route.

I'll certainly check out Mondak.

I locked up my front wheel with stock setup both on purpose and in a emergency. Both times they were with either the stock bridgestone or the dunlop.
I have since upgraded to 298mm wavy rotors/ SS lines/ HH brake pads and have a Shinko mounted now. I have done many hard stops which squeals the tire but not locked it up, I need a little more caliper clamipng pressure.
I am going to add Sean's adapter and hayabusa 6 pot calipers with HH pads so I should have no problem with clamping pressure then!

I locked up my front wheel with stock setup both on purpose and in a emergency. Both times they were with either the stock bridgestone or the dunlop.
I have since upgraded to 298mm wavy rotors/ SS lines/ HH brake pads and have a Shinko mounted now. I have done many hard stops which squeals the tire but not locked it up, I need a little more caliper clamipng pressure.
I am going to add Sean's adapter and hayabusa 6 pot calipers with HH pads so I should have no problem with clamping pressure then!

I'll be interested in how your caliper upgrade goes. I think the '90 and '92 have the same set up. From what I can tell, something changed in '93+

Make sure for OEM you look at Mondak Motorsports and check out the VMF links page for ALL KINDS of helpful links...

+1 on Mondak. I just ordered a bunch of parts from Gary. He is super nice and great to deal with. Quote from him "He wants to make sure he takes care of us V Maxer's"

Sean is really helpful and in my opinion has the best seat for our bikes.

I've tried many upgrades and by far the 6 piston busa setup is the best thing we have come up with. The brakes are incredible and not just becuase you can lock them up. In fact, I can lock up the brakes with about any setup including the stock 2 pistons like you have. The busa setup gives you a very good feel for what is happening and takes more travel to actuate. I can now lock up the front if desired with 1 finger but you have to want to do it.

Look around and talk to the guys that have our setup. There is a thread in here that has pictures to show you what they look like,

On the segment issue. You can emal me for more info but I am not sure if I have a kit on hand right now. Since your's is working OK for now there really is no rush. It can be fixed at the same time you do a clutch (or now would also be a good time to do the double d clutch mod).

Sean
[email protected]

On the segment issue. You can emal me for more info but I am not sure if I have a kit on hand right now. Since your's is working OK for now there really is no rush. It can be fixed at the same time you do a clutch (or now would also be a good time to do the double d clutch mod).

Sean
[email protected]

No worries. I've got a stack of stuff to do in the mean time.

I'll need to read up on the double d clutch mod and the busa mod in more detail. The lever takes far to much grip to get the thing to stop.

Back