Valve adjustment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbostang

Reaction score
Has anyone here adjusted the valves without the yamaha tool with the motor in the frame?
I have a tight exhaust clearance causing a partially dead cylinder, and do not have the tool at this time.
I have not seen this tool yet so I would like to know if ne1 has one and how it works. If I knew this/could see one I am sure I could figure something out.

Thanks

Jarrett

Yamaha tool is necessary, removing the motor is not.

When I checked mine at 53,000 miles all my exhaust valves were very tight at .006 inches. The spec is .010 - 012 inches. All my intakes were fine.

Mark

I ran mine for 5-10 mins today and could hold the #4 pipe with my bare hands. It had fire (it spit one back through the carb), but it wasn't complete combustion. Raw fuel out the pipe, no difference with plug wire on or off.

Measured at .2mm warm on the exhaust side

Valve shim removal tool. Kind of looks like a "J" and fits over the camshaft. You then rotate the crank and the tool presses the buckets down. The shims then can be removed.

Mark

I don't know what ever happened to the loaner program on the shims and tool but I may start loaning my stash out.

Sean

There is one dealer in my area that loans 'em out for a $20 refundable deposit. Everywhere else they make you buy them. I though about buying a shim kit through K&L but it's pricey.

Mark

Good to know Sean, I'm pretty picky and want all clearances exactly the same. It's hard to find the weird sizes. Thanks.

Mark

Latest posts

Back