Valve shims

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
Are there any commonly available valve shims that fit the vmax other than OEM?

Sean's got me in line for a kit but I'm done with this motor except for final clearance checks, I bench shimmed it before installing the heads.

Ready to install but wanting to wait and not do this in the bike

I just sent my shim kit to NH but I do have a few other shims laying around. If you can tell me what you need I might have them. Your welcome to call me tomorrow 813-270-0000

I have a few on the shelf as well. If you can list which ones your after we might be able to set you up.......

Here's what I'm after;
1-269
2-274
1-275
3-277
1-282
1-287

Here is what I could use if the odd sizes aren't available;
1-270
5-275
1-280
1-285

I'll pay shipping and send my unused back or buy 'em straight up if anyone help out

Thanks,

Rusty

Now for the worst part.....My trip to the HOT attic....Will inventory what I have in early morning.....:biglaugh:....standby.....

Email me Rusty. I may have those same sizes in my overflow containers (I don't have the extra tool though). I'll be home tomorrow and can probably ship out Monday.

Sean

Rusty i'm sure you know this but the oem service manual is wrong on some of the calculations.

For those who need the correct one.

143361ce2adc158bd7e968b8e984ad164359aa82.jpg

Here's what I'm after;
1-269
2-274
1-275
3-277
1-282
1-287

Here is what I could use if the odd sizes aren't available;
1-270
5-275
1-280
1-285

I'll pay shipping and send my unused back or buy 'em straight up if anyone help out

Thanks,

Rusty

I thought I had more but only have three. 2 are what ur looking for....I have 1-270 & 1-275 (and 1-255) Let me know if you need them.

Rusty i'm sure you know this but the oem service manual is wrong on some of the calculations.

I didn't use the manual or chart. I figured out that, for example a 265 is 2.65mm, then did the conversions to figure out that 0.01mm is equal to 0.0004" (actually its like 0.00039xxxx, but I rounded), so each step is 0.0004".
I just did the math from there using measured clearance and installed pad number.

I got my calculator really oily

It's funny to me that at the factory they use shims in 0.01mm increments but only sell them in 0.05 increments, only allowing adjustments in 0.002" increments unless you can lay your hands on some originally factory installed shims

I didn't use the manual or chart. I figured out that, for example a 265 is 2.65mm, then did the conversions to figure out that 0.01mm is equal to 0.0004" (actually its like 0.00039xxxx, but I rounded), so each step is 0.0004".
I just did the math from there using measured clearance and installed pad number.

I got my calculator really oily

It's funny to me that at the factory they use shims in 0.01mm increments but only sell them in 0.05 increments, only allowing adjustments in 0.002" increments unless you can lay your hands on some originally factory installed shims

thats the way to do it bud! mike and i got all confused at first until we realized the manual was wrong. could be scary for someone who didn't go back and check their work.

Hey Steve. I also got confused by the factory manual. But I am wondering if it's the exhaust valve clearance is incorrect, not the table? Where you found this table? Is it a legitimate source?

Thank you.

I wouldn't even bother with the table. Its not trustworthy. Just take the measurements and go from there.

Look at my earlier post from 7-14-2012 and the math is explained.

Mega cycle cams calls for
Intake 0.006" clearance
Exhaust 0.008" clearance

I have no idea what the factory numbers are. I think a little looser than that.

I wouldn't even bother with the table. Its not trustworthy. Just take the measurements and go from there.

Look at my earlier post from 7-14-2012 and the math is explained.

Mega cycle cams calls for
Intake 0.006" clearance
Exhaust 0.008" clearance

I have no idea what the factory numbers are. I think a little looser than that.

Yes Rusty, I agree with the way you calculate the shim's thickness, but I still need the correct target range to calculate a proper size.
In my case if I go with the target range 0.16mm-0.20mm(0.006-0.008in) for exhaust valves which is assumed in the factory manual's table, I need to replace with thinner shims; but, if I refer to the same manual's specification numbers(in text, not in the table) or Steve's table-0.26-0.30mm(0.010-0.012in), I need to replace it with thicker than current shims.
That's why I am trying to get down to the very "original truth" :ummm:
I think it's a big difference in the numbers. Isn't it?

Thanks.

Thanks Sean. That's what the factory manual says in its specs, but it's Valve Clearance Adjustment table assumes the different numbers for exhaust valves. And I saw on the internet how other guys did their valve adjustments based on smaller numbers from the manual's table: http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/?action=article&cat_id=001008&id=412

That's why I am still not sure who and what is correct.:confused2:

I understand your dilemma.

That's why I recommend tossing the charts and tables. I don't trust them and they're just a shortcut method anyway.

You know what you have for clearances when you measure them.

You know where you need to be based on the recommended clearances. The ones Sean gave are widely accepted. The ones I gave are the Megacycle recommended clearances and they don't give a range, just a number.

In Damon's engine video he quotes the Megacycle numbers. Which are tighter in the exhaust than the book numbers.

Either set of recommended clearances is fine in my opinion.

A quick conversion on multiple internet sites will convert the metric shim sizes to SAE numbers.

The only piece of knowledge thats not made clear is the format for shim sizes. I checked a big pile of them and found that the format is as follows.

A 270 shim is equal to 2.70 mm, and so on.

New shims (including after market) are almost always only sold in steps of 0.05 mm, as in 255, 260, 265 270 and so on. You'll find the factory sets them up using shims having smaller steps. But Yamaha doesn't sell them in smaller steps and I couldn't find them on the aftermarket either.

I did find some at a local shop they let me trade for. They guy had a huge pile from the 80's Honda CB 750's i believe it was that he said were identical. They were.

The bigger steps should not be a problem though since the tolerance range is a little wide/forgiving anyway.

Back