Vboost Experts Please Comment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnblaid

Reaction score
I've been posting in another thread and searching the internet and I just did a test on my bike that baffled me.

My bike does not run the Vboost Self Test, but when I removed the air filter box and could look down into the carb area, I started the engine, warmed it up, and ran it at high rpm and I DID SEE THE SERVO CABLE PULL THE BUTTTERFLIES OPEN.

I've looked at several vboost replacments and I'm familiar with the stock wiring. I don't think I have any mods on this newly purchased 1986.

Anyone have any ideas about why the self test does not run but the servo operates when the engine is running.

I would guess the circuit that does the self test is not operating. The circuit that "monitors" the tach signal along the gray wire is working.

I would guess the circuit that does the self test is not operating. The circuit that "monitors" the tach signal along the gray wire is working.

Which is odd, since I thought they were one and the same, the little black controller box behind the left scoop. If you don't have any gadgets in there to adjust the v-boost operation, that's kind of an odd issue. But as long as it works in function, I would just run it.

Since 1985, I have replace my controler twice. I still have both of them. I could pull the circuit board from the holder and flex it and the bike would do a self check. I thought I had a cold solder joint each time and resoldered everything on the board but never got either one of the 2 boards to work without flexing the board. You might get lucky if you find the same symthoms I described above and fix your board. But in both my cases when the self check did not work the Vboost was also on the blink.

As long as it works while riding I would ignore the lack of self-check on start up. It doesn't make you any faster, whereas while running it does!

Back