Vmax fualty ignition switch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yamaha

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just got a Vmax, a little bit less than 3 months ago ago, and now I am forced to sell it.

1992 Yamaha Vmax.
A bit of background;
Had a 2005 Dodge magnum, found out water got in the transmission, could not afford repairs so I sold it. My Max was the daily driver. about a week later (1 month ago), the bike starts hesitating, and cuts out. does not start again. light work, but fuel pump is not clicking, and starter doesn't turn. kind of like starting a bike in gear.

took it to a shop, said ignition switch is faulty.
bought a new one (OEM)
had it installed, and worked fine.
Connectors were cleaned
ran fine for about a month.

Yesterday, the bike hesitated again, and it died. Will not start. All the lights work. but the fuel pump does not click, starter makes no attempt.
Vboost does not cycle.

I have my reasons to suspect the kill switch swithc is faulty.
Could an ignition switch go bad so quick?

I have a AGM battery less than a month old, installed by myself. Has full charge.
I have gas.
Has new OEM ignition switch less than 1 month.

Ran great prior to incident.

I can't risk fixing the bike, and having it break down on me one more time, no matter how expensive, so I have to sell it.
I'm the only one working, and father of 2 kids.

Life takes priority.
Need to fix bike, and sell it to by a car.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I would not suspect the ignition switch right after replacing it.
My bike has started to do this when I go to start it, but cycling the kill switch several times resolves it. I guess I need to clean the kill switch.

Hey everyone,

I just got a Vmax, a little bit less than 3 months ago ago, and now I am forced to sell it.

1992 Yamaha Vmax.
A bit of background;
Had a 2005 Dodge magnum, found out water got in the transmission, could not afford repairs so I sold it. My Max was the daily driver. about a week later (1 month ago), the bike starts hesitating, and cuts out. does not start again. light work, but fuel pump is not clicking, and starter doesn't turn. kind of like starting a bike in gear.

took it to a shop, said ignition switch is faulty.
bought a new one (OEM)
had it installed, and worked fine.
Connectors were cleaned
ran fine for about a month.

Yesterday, the bike hesitated again, and it died. Will not start. All the lights work. but the fuel pump does not click, starter makes no attempt.
Vboost does not cycle.

I have my reasons to suspect the kill switch swithc is faulty.
Could an ignition switch go bad so quick?

I have a AGM battery less than a month old, installed by myself. Has full charge.
I have gas.
Has new OEM ignition switch less than 1 month.

Ran great prior to incident.

I can't risk fixing the bike, and having it break down on me one more time, no matter how expensive, so I have to sell it.
I'm the only one working, and father of 2 kids.

Life takes priority.
Need to fix bike, and sell it to by a car.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry that you are being forced to sell the bike.
Doesn't sound like the ignition switch is the problem - if it was, nothing else would work (horn lights, signals, etc.) when the switch was turned on.
Most likely, it's the Engine Stop Switch that's causing the stalling, and no-start conditions. In the "Off" position, power is cut to the ignition and starting circuits.
For starters (pardon the pun) try spraying some WD40 into the switch, around the red rocker, then work it from "off" to "run" several times.
Hopefully, this will be all it will take to free up the internals of the switch. If not, it will have to be taken apart for a complete cleaning.
If you still want to test the ignition switch for faulty operation, find the three-wire (blue, red, brown) Ignition Switch Connector, located under the steering head framework. Disconnect, and put a jumper wire from the red to the brown contacts on the loom side of the connector. This bypasses the switch, and supplies power directly from the battery to the fuse box.
Cheers!

Hope you get this resolved.

I totally agree with not having a bike as your primary transportation. Lots of us have done it, including me. And eventually one way or another it will bite you in the ass.

Thanks for the replies everyone, and shout out to miles on teaching me how to jump the circuit.

I will try to jump it, to see if it is maybe the kill switch. By everyone's response, it appears that the kill switch is bad. if it starts, I will know for sure if it is bad, and will give it a thorough cleaning.

Well,
after rethinking over the whole situation from a financial standpoint, I will actually risk a lot more in selling the bike.

Me and the wife had a very big talk, and mentioned to ther that if I were to sell the bike, and the money I sold it for would not be enough for a down payment, I would be without any form of transport, and the funds decrease over time.

Alternatively, If I was able to buy a cheap used car, and that breaks down too, I would be left with nothing. At lesat a bike will always be cheaper to maintain.

The general decision is that It will be kept, and fixed. Which on a side note was a faulty wiring, which the previous owner half assed repaired with electrical tape only.
With some money I can save over 6-8 month period, I can have enough money for decent down payment. (hopefully). If not a beater car.

Thank you everyone, for giving me the help and ideas during this difficult time.

Glad it worked out for you. Hopefully your bike problems are behind you for a while but if something else pops up you know at least you can get answers &/or affordable replacement parts right here.............Enjoy your ride!

Latest posts

Back