VMAX or Venture ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millhouse1

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to posting on this forum but long time reader. I have a newly acquired 89 VMAX which I got from my brother because the dreaded second gear issue and he didn't want to fool with it. I took it apart and when I got ready to order the parts I noticed that some of the gears as far as tooth count were not matching up. Ends up everything is pointing to Venture gearing. Trying to figure out just exactly what engine really is in there. Beautiful bike but do I invest in this engine or look for the real thing and put back what is meant to be in it. The only years of Venture it could be is 83-85 because it is a 1198 displacement. It has a 1FK casting which I thought was only for the VMAX but what's throwing me off is the actual serial #, its 47T000232 which my brother found at some site as only the Ventures were tagged with. Any help or suggestions thrown my way would be greatly appreciated.:ummm:

All Vmax engines are black and Ventures are natural in color. That's the easiest quick identification. Of course they can be painted. Ventures have smaller carbs and no vboost assembly.

Those are some obvious visual queues.

Sean would no for sure because he's very familiar with both motors.

Yeah I was thinking about the color issue, it is black but I didn't know about the v boost factor. Unless everything has been changed over I just don't know. I've been trying to see if I can get part numbers off of the cams or bottom of pistons but no luck there so far. Thanks for your reply.

Not sure if this is the number on the carb your asking for, this was on the butterfly plate, (throttle plate) 61125. Also there are numbers on the body itself, 1FK 01 E8951. Thanks.

If your talking about posting in a thread....instead of hitting the quick reply at the bottom left, hit the go advanced at the bottom right. Then click on manage attachments, and that will allow you to upload from your computer.

Not sure if this is the number on the carb your asking for, this was on the butterfly plate, (throttle plate) 61125. Also there are numbers on the body itself, 1FK 01 E8951. Thanks.

That isn't ringing a bell....it's a 3 digit number, maybe you can get a pic posted?

Another way is to click on the paperclip in the tool bar at the top of this box, then 'choose file' (which will take you to your desktop) and upload it.

Did look up on Venture service manual and found that the 47T prefix is in fact a 84, XVZ12DKC2. Still puzzled about the block casting # 1FK. Maybe it was a late production block?. Everything else points to VMAX components. Does anyone have the knowledge of what it would take as far as converting a venture motor to a VMAX?.

Attachments

• vmax01.jpg
    vmax01.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 27
  • vmax02.jpg
    vmax02.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 25
  • vmax03.jpg
    vmax03.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 25
  • vmax04.jpg
    vmax04.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 24
  • vmax05.jpg
    vmax05.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 21
Posted pics a few minutes ago but didn't work. Trying again.

Attachments

• vmax01.jpg
    vmax01.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 12
  • vmax02.jpg
    vmax02.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 11
  • vmax03.jpg
    vmax03.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 12
  • vmax04.jpg
    vmax04.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 11
  • vmax05.jpg
    vmax05.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 11
Well I guess it worked the first time after all. Sorry. Yeah, like I said its got all the visuals of a VMAX but the serial # is what's throwing me off. I guess someone could have taken the time and effort to switch over the parts. That's why I wanted to know what would be involved in doing so.

It appears to be Vmax to me. For sure Vmax heads (would need to see cam lobes to make sure cams) and also the right PCV. The paint also looks right for the Vmax. Keep in mind that the 86-93 Ventures had similar trans ratios for 2nd-4th with only a small change for 1st and 2nd.

IF it had a venture trans (which is possible) then it would have the tooth drive dogs on 2nd gear (like the recall Vmax trans). Here's a trans pic I took a few years back:
https://www.facebook.com/2827024886...018.282702488678/392832068678/?type=3&theater

The Venture rods are also heavier and wider on the pin end.

Sean

Latest posts

Back