VMOA yes Or no

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A MAGAZINE FOR OUR MEMBERS, BY OUR MEMBERS!!!

With that said, how are we to produce a magazine that every seems to bicker about to have a copy, but when we ask them to submit an article.......I surely don't see many members, if any at all, submitting anything. I wish all these people that cry bloody murder about the Vboost would put their money where their mouth is and submit content! This goes for any and all members! If we could even get 10% of our member pool to submit content, it would be an awesome magazine to read!!!

Let me ask you, during your membership from 2003 - 2011, how many articles did you submit for the vboost?

My 2 cents for the day........

I should really stay out of this but the perceived attitude in this response, IMO, is not a positive one. I don't think it is very productive to blame the members for what the club promised at sign up but then doesn't deliver. Even on the web site, under 10 top reasons to join it says
"3. Vboost Magazine is published 4 times per year and delivered to your door.". No where does it say that a member has to write the articles. I have been in MX clubs, where along with your membership fee you had to donate X number of hours to the club for track maintenance. I'm fine with this, but they were quite clear with the volunteer part of it at sign up, before I gave them my money. Perhaps you should add "membership requires you to submit X number of articles a year" or give incentives to those that produce articles. Maybe for 2 articles you get a free year membership or something similar. Nobody is going to submit something if they don't want to do it. They will feel like it is "forced labor" and that creates the resentment against the club. I understand content for the magazine is an issue, but I think you are taking the wrong approach to it for a solution.

Hi Blaine,

Now thats a first that I ever heard that an article wasnt acknowledged. Standard practice is to send a submission receipt email once received. Interested and I thank you for trying. Not sure what happened here since I know I have always received a receipt after my submissions. All I can do is look into this at this point.

In my brief experience with the VMOA I submitted only 1 (fairly large) article. It was not acknowledged. I sent follow-up emails to the editor asking if/when it would be printed and got no response. Hopefully the process of submitting articles has improved since 2006-2008.

Blaine

So your telling me that you never received a single vboost copy in the mail during your membership? As long as you registered with the proper mail address we sent out to all members in our database. Pictures do count too for content and many thanks!

for your information, I did not know that VBoost mag was being printed. In the past I submitted two articles. Here are two photos of what I posted - I can't remember the dates, but I did try to help. (incidentally, no need for sarcasm!)

I should really stay out of this but the perceived attitude in this response, IMO, is not a positive one. I don't think it is very productive to blame the members for what the club promised at sign up but then doesn't deliver. Even on the web site, under 10 top reasons to join it says
"3. Vboost Magazine is published 4 times per year and delivered to your door.". No where does it say that a member has to write the articles. I have been in MX clubs, where along with your membership fee you had to donate X number of hours to the club for track maintenance. I'm fine with this, but they were quite clear with the volunteer part of it at sign up, before I gave them my money. Perhaps you should add "membership requires you to submit X number of articles a year" or give incentives to those that produce articles. Maybe for 2 articles you get a free year membership or something similar. Nobody is going to submit something if they don't want to do it. They will feel like it is "forced labor" and that creates the resentment against the club. I understand content for the magazine is an issue, but I think you are taking the wrong approach to it for a solution.

I am not trying to argue, just make a point. The VMOA bylaws state the following:

ARTICLE VI

MEMBER BENEFITS:
The association shall publish a V-boost magazine of at least 16 pages on a quarterly basis.

This is public knowledge posted for all members to read under our club info section on the website. Your right, perhaps that line needs to modified since it can be perceived to your doorstep as being mailed. It can be any medium, but I am not going to argue that just agree it isnt 100% clear. As to the magazine, the VBOOST has and always will be a user driven magazine. No where does it state members have to submit, but we print the magazine for our members to enjoy what others are doing with their bikes, true experiences, technical write-ups, etc. The editor is only responsible to assemble the publication and thats all. We dont have a hired writer, its the users who have always furnished the content and always will be. If you pickup any vboost you can see that the articles are all written by individuals. In the past years, article submission has declined and we have been trying to figure our how to get more articles in each issue. To make a 16 page layout means actually 32 pages in a printing layout. We could just recycle old technical write-ups, but who really wants to see that? To be honest, we are open for any and all suggestions on how to rectify this matter? I know it wont mean much to some of you since your no longer a member anyhow.

This is just my point of view here, not the VMOA in its entirety. I am always open for a good discussion. Sorry if your taking this the wrong way.

So your telling me that you never received a single vboost copy in the mail during your membership? As long as you registered with the proper mail address we sent out to all members in our database. Pictures do count too for content and many thanks!
Michael, I just stated that I recived allmost 40 Vboost mags in the years that I "was" a VMOA member.(See page 4). Are you sure you mean me, or somebody else??:confused2:

Michael, I just stated that I recived allmost 40 Vboost mags in the years that I "was" a VMOA member.(See page 4). Are you sure you mean me, or somebody else??:confused2:

Hey Rusty, I see that....I read into it wrong prior, you meant that you didnt know we were still printing after that first digital copy in Winter 2010.

Sorry, my confusion with all the responses here.

Hey Rusty, I see that....I read into it wrong prior, you meant that you didnt know we were still printing after that first digital copy in Winter 2010.

Sorry, my confusion with all the responses here.
No problem Mike,I can feal your passion for the bike we love. It's gonna be sunny & 72 degrees in SoCal this afternoon. I'm going for a ride...:rockon00:

Hi Blaine,

Now thats a first that I ever heard that an article wasnt acknowledged. Standard practice is to send a submission receipt email once received. Interested and I thank you for trying. Not sure what happened here since I know I have always received a receipt after my submissions. All I can do is look into this at this point.

Thanks for the reply, Michael.

I submitted the article using the info/links supplied by the VMOA website and it did not work for me. In the same time frame I also sent several email requests to have my online VMOA profile info and picture updated and received no response either. I decided to send an email directly to Kelvin on this matter and he had my profile updated promptly.

What happened to me occured 4 years ago may not be relevant at this time (different people, newer website).

Blaine

Regarding VBoost content...IMO you can only generate so much 'new' info about a machine that's been around for 25+ years. From an artistic perspective you can only take the bike in so many new directions that have not already been explored. Technologically speaking the Gen-1 bike has almost certainly peaked with current aftermarket parts and mods. With the current financial state of things most average folks cannot afford to drop money on motorcycle mods or other nice-to-haves. The bulk of 'new' content will be with the people who ride the VMax and the places they visit. If you like reading/writing or seeing pictures of events you will probably enjoy the VBoost.

Blaine

Last edited:
member # 3659, and probably always will be a member.
I think the one thing that is keeping me is the magazine.
although i'm guilty of not submitting any articles, i understand Mikes point and i will try to contribute something this year.

I bought my Max in '06, joined in '07 as soon as i heard of the club. In '09 i became the Western Canada/Alaska Director, and i love it. I've met lots of good people, and developed great friendships along the way. I'll be a member as long as i'm kickin'.

One thing I just started working with the Board of Directors on is trying to contact former members to get their input into what it would take to get them to re-join. While I know that a large portion of our former members did not renew due selling their Vmax, it is the other percentage that I am speaking to. Some will have economic reasons and others will say they don't see any value. What I want to see is what the non-member would like to see the VMOA do to attract them to join. Maybe a "partial" membership at a discounted rate. Who knows, what I need is input and folks here can definitely add value to the discussion. So this is your chance to speak up and say what you want right to the man in charge:D

I renewed my membership over a month ago and stilled haven't received anything. Tried to contact with no reply.

This should have been rectified. If you don't receive it shortly contact me directly and I will take care of it. I apologize that it has taken this long!! See you at Thunder!!

I'm still a member #3505 but for how much longer I really don't know. Right now I don't intend of renewing. I used to be New England Director and banged my head against the wall with the same issues that are being dealt with now. I'm living in Mexico and there is no VMOA presence here. The production of the Vboost is crippling financially the VMOA. The magnizine hasn't changed and is boring. The website took about 3 years too long to change. I have to give kudos to Mike( I believe it's Mike) for his effort. The issue of membership processing takening too long is very old. One thing that could be done is that instead of sending material for the Vboost to only Jasse it could be sent to a few different Directors, Officers or Members that could function as an oversight group. The Vboost belongs to the VMOA and it is irresponsible not to have solid oversight. I used to write articles for the Vboost but don't anymore. Matter of fact I need to write an article for a local paper about my motorcycle trip across Baja to the San Felipe Blues Festival. Don't bother to ask why I don't submit it to the Vboost because I'll tell the truth and then be accused of flaming. My best also to you, Jim. Don't let anyone tell you Mexico is always hot. A few weeks ago some guy got stuck in the snow and died of hyperthermia about 80 miles from me.
David T.

To the group of VMOA Members who read this thread and in response to the following post;

?I'm still a member #3505 but for how much longer I really don't know. Right now I don't intend of renewing. I used to be New England Director and banged my head against the wall with the same issues that are being dealt with now. I'm living in Mexico and there is no VMOA presence here. The production of the Vboost is crippling financially the VMOA. The magnizine hasn't changed and is boring. The website took about 3 years too long to change. I have to give kudos to Mike( I believe it's Mike) for his effort. The issue of membership processing takening too long is very old. One thing that could be done is that instead of sending material for the Vboost to only Jasse it could be sent to a few different Directors, Officers or Members that could function as an oversight group. The Vboost belongs to the VMOA and it is irresponsible not to have solid oversight. I used to write articles for the Vboost but don't anymore. Matter of fact I need to write an article for a local paper about my motorcycle trip across Baja to the San Felipe Blues Festival. Don't bother to ask why I don't submit it to the Vboost because I'll tell the truth and then be accused of flaming. My best also to you, Jim. Don't let anyone tell you Mexico is always hot. A few weeks ago some guy got stuck in the snow and died of hyperthermia about 80 miles from me.
David T.?

? I somewhat agree with this point that the magazine is a financial burden on the club
? I also agree that it took a long time to ?Fix? the web site? but that?s what happens when you try to do something by committee! When it was left up to Mike Moore, and me, the site was re-designed in a little over a month? and continues to evolve?
? I totally agree on his point about the membership processing
? As to sending articles to different directors? If any member wants to ensure that an article, they send into the magazine, is seen by someone else they can easily send a CC to whomever they want when they send it in? There is oversight for every issue? By contract, I publish a .PDF file to the VMOA server for the Officer/Directors/Chapter Leaders to preview and make any deletions/corrections or additions?. There is actually a clause in the contract which spells this out? FYI, in the 6 years, of the last two 3 year contracts, The VMOA has not once met its obligation for the number of Directors signing off on an Issue!!!! Besides every article, and every piece of e-mail I receive, I answer with a ?Received your submission? with a CC to both the president & VP of the VMOA? every time I e-mail a member about Magazine business a CC goes to them as well? If it is a question about the web site a CC goes to the president, VP and Mike Moore?
? I do not have a clue what articles Mr. Tavares is speaking about? I have gone back, in my archives to 2007, and I can find not a single article written and submitted by Mr. Tavares, to the VBoost? There are several Event listings and requests to change chapter leaders from his region, a couple of personal address changes along with a lot of comments and questions about the web site?. Mr. Tavares has been a member since 03/2004? I have searched every issue of the magazine, since he joined the VMOA, and I have only found; an event report, about Laconia Bike Week, on page 31 of the summer 2006 issue? After he became the New England Director (which was announced in the fall, 2007 issue). He submitted an Event article along with some photos of ?Rice-O-Rama? (Page 28 in the fall 2010 Issue)? A "My Ride" article was submitted in Dec. 2010 for the winter 2011 edition and appeared on page 7 along with a couple of photos.

Later/Steve Jasse
Editor VBoost Magazine

To the group of VMOA Members who read this thread and in response to the following post;

?I'm still a member #3505 but for how much longer I really don't know. Right now I don't intend of renewing. I used to be New England Director and banged my head against the wall with the same issues that are being dealt with now. I'm living in Mexico and there is no VMOA presence here. The production of the Vboost is crippling financially the VMOA. The magnizine hasn't changed and is boring. The website took about 3 years too long to change. I have to give kudos to Mike( I believe it's Mike) for his effort. The issue of membership processing takening too long is very old. One thing that could be done is that instead of sending material for the Vboost to only Jasse it could be sent to a few different Directors, Officers or Members that could function as an oversight group. The Vboost belongs to the VMOA and it is irresponsible not to have solid oversight. I used to write articles for the Vboost but don't anymore. Matter of fact I need to write an article for a local paper about my motorcycle trip across Baja to the San Felipe Blues Festival. Don't bother to ask why I don't submit it to the Vboost because I'll tell the truth and then be accused of flaming. My best also to you, Jim. Don't let anyone tell you Mexico is always hot. A few weeks ago some guy got stuck in the snow and died of hyperthermia about 80 miles from me.
David T.?

? I somewhat agree with this point that the magazine is a financial burden on the club
? I also agree that it took a long time to ?Fix? the web site? but that?s what happens when you try to do something by committee! When it was left up to Mike Moore, and me, the site was re-designed in a little over a month? and continues to evolve?
? I totally agree on his point about the membership processing
? As to sending articles to different directors? If any member wants to ensure that an article, they send into the magazine, is seen by someone else they can easily send a CC to whomever they want when they send it in? There is oversight for every issue? By contract, I publish a .PDF file to the VMOA server for the Officer/Directors/Chapter Leaders to preview and make any deletions/corrections or additions?. There is actually a clause in the contract which spells this out? FYI, in the 6 years, of the last two 3 year contracts, The VMOA has not once met its obligation for the number of Directors signing off on an Issue!!!! Besides every article, and every piece of e-mail I receive, I answer with a ?Received your submission? with a CC to both the president & VP of the VMOA? every time I e-mail a member about Magazine business a CC goes to them as well? If it is a question about the web site a CC goes to the president, VP and Mike Moore?
? I do not have a clue what articles Mr. Tavares is speaking about? I have gone back, in my archives to 2007, and I can find not a single article written and submitted by Mr. Tavares, to the VBoost? There are several Event listings and requests to change chapter leaders from his region, a couple of personal address changes along with a lot of comments and questions about the web site?. Mr. Tavares has been a member since 03/2004? I have searched every issue of the magazine, since he joined the VMOA, and I have only found; an event report, about Laconia Bike Week, on page 31 of the summer 2006 issue? After he became the New England Director (which was announced in the fall, 2007 issue). He submitted an Event article along with some photos of ?Rice-O-Rama? (Page 28 in the fall 2010 Issue)? A "My Ride" article was submitted in Dec. 2010 for the winter 2011 edition and appeared on page 7 along with a couple of photos.

Later/Steve Jasse
Editor VBoost Magazine

Interesting use of semantics. When is a article not a article? When it is an event article. You did omit at least two that I can think of. But it is not about me. I met all my obligations as to submitting articles for the Vboost as Regional Director. On a volunteer basis. Even cost me money out of my pocket which I was glad to do. But Steve as you are the only paid professional in the VMOA, I have found, in my dealings with you, that you are less than professional. Which is even evident with your unwarranted reply trying to turn it into an attack on me. Once again Steve, it is not about me.
The contact information that is contained in the Vboost is for members only. Yet when the first Winter electronic Vboost was published you wasted no time and without any authorization from the VMOA to post it on your Facebook. I don't post my personal address and phone numbers on my Facebook. Very unprofessional of you in the least. I can only assume that when you are promoting yourself , no one else matters.
I have heard on more than one occasion that someone has sent a article to you for the Vboost. And never heard back from you or seen it in print. You can get defensive thinking that I'm blaming you of some dastardly deed however your conscientious dictates. But stuff does get lost in cyberspace. A simple remedy would be that articles be sent a few other people along with you and hopefully nothing falls through the cracks. Although you may want total control I personally do not believe that is good for the VMOA. It seems that is always a problem area for you.
I could go on but I really don't want to bore too many people here. I have been very much involved from my Director's position for long enough and since I don't smoke pot I remember stuff. I have always felt uncomfortable with the amount of members, the founders of the VMOA, being labeled as malcontents. So I have reached out to all the so=called malcontents, by phone or email, to find answers. Somehow in all the discussions I have had about what is wrong with the present VMOA your name always comes up. As long as I'm a member I will voice my opinion.
David Tavares #3505

As I mentioned before; several email requests for an update to my profile on the VMOA website went unanswered and an article I submitted was not acknowledged. It doesn't take too many instances of being ignored to turn off new members.

In the matter of my profile update, a quick email to Kelvin and this matter was resolved. However, I don't see why Kelvin and more recently, Jim Rodgers, have to assume damage control when memberships and/or or other electronic correspondence is not expedited in a timely fashion.

Blaine

Last edited:
Back