- Warp12's 1989 V-Max Adventure -

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well a lot of people like the Morgan carb tune

http://www.carbtune.com/

I have one on order...it should be there by the time that I get home.

I will look into it. I have to do some work to get the bike running right. Right now it wouldn't blow your hat off in a windstorm!!

:rofl_200:

At WOT I don't feel any rush of power from the v-boost. With the seemingly lean surging, I also noticed it feeling like it was running out of fuel a few times. One time it died at a stop after a hard run. It idles smoothly, but it has no pull after about 100 mph. And, as I say, it occasionally pops through one of the carbs.

Pretty quiet today. The handgrips are so old that the throttle grip came right off in my hand! I mean, the grip tube is as clean and dry as a bone!

vmaxbuild32.jpg

I decided to put in a quick order to Dennis Kirk. I ordered a basic pair of cruiser grips for now:

vmaxbuild30.jpg

I also went ahead and ordered a Motion Pro Carb Sync Tool.

vmaxbuild31.jpg

I pondered getting the Carb Tune, as was suggested, but I really want to sync the carbs by this weekend. I'm not 100% sure that will happen, but I will try to get it done. If I don't like the Motion Pro I am sure I can sell it later. :)

Cool project, looks like you're making great progress on it.

Sean sells adapter brackets to use hayabusa calipers, which will take care of the wooden feeling stock brakes. If you plan to race in the future I'd definitely want to upgrade the binders.

Your "lazy" speedometer is likely just a cable that needs to be lubed. Unscrew it from the back of the speedo and squirt some wd40 or similar down it, should take care of it.

Cool project, looks like you're making great progress on it.

Sean sells adapter brackets to use hayabusa calipers, which will take care of the wooden feeling stock brakes. If you plan to race in the future I'd definitely want to upgrade the binders.

Your "lazy" speedometer is likely just a cable that needs to be lubed. Unscrew it from the back of the speedo and squirt some wd40 or similar down it, should take care of it.

Yes, I will be doing something like that with the brakes. It kind of depends on if I wind up with an USD fork or not, as to whether I upgrade existing. I think I will lube the speedo cable this weekend, thanks. It kind of threw me for a loop because it was actually showing 15 mph when I was at rest, at one point!

The Tyga carbon fiber arrived today:

vmaxbuild33.jpg

Overall excellent quality, and only three business days to arrive from Thailand (UPS)!

Total weight, for all three pieces: 1 lb 15.4 oz bare
Total weight of stock pieces: 6 lbs 2.6 oz with hardware

Once I switch the hardware over it should be right at 3.5 lbs of weight savings. The scoops weigh less than 6 oz each! I won't be mounting these parts yet, they will wait until I choose a paint/painter. On my race bikes I just use Krylon, but I would like something nicer for this one. :) I am also considering some other aftermarket body pieces.

I use a food scale to weigh small parts. I have larger, shipping-type scales for objects over 10 lbs. These are my results so far:

Stock Parts
--------------
Left Scoop 1 lb 6.9 oz
Right Scoop 1 lb 5.9 oz
"Faux" cover 3 lbs 4.8 oz
Battery 11.5 lbs
Toolkit 2 lbs 4.2 oz

Aftermarket Parts
----------------------
Tyga CF Left Scoop (bare) 5.5 oz
Tyga CF Right Scoop (bare) 5.2 oz
Tyga "Faux" cover (bare) 1 lb 4.7 oz
Speedcell battery 1lb 7.3 oz

That puts me over 15.5 lbs of weight loss so far. I can't afford the really big ticket items right now, but I am doing my homework on where to cut the weight, and removing the easy stuff for now. Soon I will look at mirrors, footpegs, centerstand, and turn signals....among other things! ;)

I just got back from a little ride on the "other" street bike. High HP street bruisers...nearly a Quarter Century apart:

vmaxbuild35.jpg

:punk:

Warp-

You going with Carbon Fenders as well, too match ??
I'll be starting to read your thread from the beginning..
Bravo on Forum Donation..

Warp-

You going with Carbon Fenders as well, too match ??
I'll be starting to read your thread from the beginning..
Bravo on Forum Donation..

Thanks, this is a great forum!! :)

I am planning to paint all of the body pieces purple, to mimic closely the color of my dad's 1985 bike. In many ways this bike is a "tribute" to my dad. Even though he has passed on, he's a big part of the project, in spirit. :)

I should have bought my Samco Rad Hoses purple. Reds cool and all but I love purple..
Can't wait to see it.. There's a list of wants that's growing and paint just added. I have a buddy who's got a set up, just need the paint. Winter project..
Keep us informed about the whole process.. Really looking forward to this man!! My buddy finishes wood so I'll be interested in what differences there are in automotive work.
Cheers man!!

Lee

why don't you do CANDY purple over the carbon fibre. I saw a bike <like trek bike not MC> done that way and loved it. In fact I wanted to buy it... until I found out it cost more then my V-Max!

why don't you do CANDY purple over the carbon fibre. I saw a bike <like trek bike not MC> done that way and loved it. In fact I wanted to buy it... until I found out it cost more then my V-Max!

Do you mean a paint technique like this?:

candycarbon.jpg

I couldn't find any pictures of purple. I am really leaning towards a solid color right now....I see $$ signs and fear of scratches in the above, lol. I'm also not sure if I am going to get all carbon panels; the scoops and faux cover are the biggest weight-saving pieces.

Just keep on sharing brother, I'll keep on learning..
Keep on
Keeping on

My used seat came today. It is really nice! Thanks rifleman!!

The bike is looking pretty good:

vmaxbuild36.jpg

I rode the bike about 75 miles today. First thing this morning I synchronized the carbs (more on that coming). I actually rode it across town and put in on the dyno. It ran pretty smoothly, and was fun, but it makes no power...like 75 hp sae. I will get to that soon, in another post. So, I have some challenges to get it running right, but it is headed in the right direction (I think?).

A good tune stocker should be up around +/- 110hp at the wheel so you're definitely leaving a lot on the table somewhere.

What did your a/f curves look like from the dyno? If it runs smooth but doesn't have any nut I'd tend to say it's running way too fat.

Like I was told by a guy with a 1500cc powerhorse. Don't get to hung up on the Dyno numbers and be happy that she runs and runs well. As you know, it's a long process too make her into what you really want. By starting alittle further down, the climb is that much sweeter. She looks good as she is and when you starting parting her up your Jokers Perma-Grin will make people think that it's time for the funny farm. ;-)

Last edited:
So, first thing this morning I did the carb sync. The Motion Pro tool worked great! It is really cake to do the carb sync on a V-Max since you don't need an auxillary fuel tank!

vmaxbuild38.jpg

I got them pretty darn close, and it took about 20 minutes overall for everything.

Then I rode the bike across town to the dyno. It was running very smoothly and definitely gaining power as the rpm went up. It wasn't viciously fast, but it is really hard to compare the bike to anything else I ride.

vmaxbuild39.jpg

As it would turn out, it is way down on power. My first thought was that something might be acting up with the v-boost only, but it looks the bike is weak everywhere?

vmaxbuild37.jpg

It ran smoothly, and even the dyno operator was baffled. I pulled the airbox just to make sure that the butterflies in the carbs were opening 100%. Uplugging the v-boost, (with it in the "off" position) didn't impact hp much at all, so I know there is something going on there (the servo does cycle on power up, though)...but it also seems weak below the v-boost area. I am going to pull the carbs and do the full setup on the v-boost now (I just bolted it on). I am also going to change out the spark plugs.

I have had other bikes on this dyno, and have done hundreds of pulls overall on various bikes and dynos. So I know that what I am seeing here is definitely a cause for concern. It is not just a matter of "different dynos read differently", in this case. :)

Back