Welp, pulled the trigger today

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all. It's sooo different from what I'm used to. First gear is scary, haha.

Welcome, you'll get used to first and then want some more. Dont ask me how I know, but start saving your $$$$

Congrats ! Great looking bike and price too ! Enjoy your new ride !!!

The amazing thing about these bikes is the level of performance you get for not much $$. Even totally stock, if the tires & bearings are ok, I don't think they are that bad. I think a lot of the bike's rep is due to inexperienced riders w\> enthusiasm than riding skills & lack of maintenance. A fresh set of good tires makes all the difference in handling assuming other parts are not in-need.

In the 1970's I had a Kawi Mach III, now there you had reason to be concerned! Too-little front end weight, suspension that wasn't, unless compared to other bikes of the time, and a peaky powerband that was the reason for many inexperienced riders hurting themselves. I never wrecked mine but I knew many bikes were wrecked before they got 1K mi on them. You'd see them in the shop w/wasted front ends & pretzled handlebars but sometimes not even 100 mi on them.

I think the VMax is like the Mach III in that many owners don't respect the limitations of their skills when they twist the throttle. How-many times have you heard someone tell you, "wasn't that bike outlawed?" or hear it called a "widowmaker?"

Enjoy your ride, looks like a good deal. I imagine Gary Surdyke knows how to make a bike work right. I followed his success when he was racing pro.

You picked the right bike & the right forum,congratulations .O' yea, there may be a mod monkey following you around.:welcome_sign:.....Rusty:biglaugh:
giffMonkey2.gif

Looks really good for it's age and mileage. Someone took good care of it. And $2600 seems like a fair price for a clean stocker. One of these bikes making it 40k miles and over 20 years without being modded is kind of rare.

Nice find!

The amazing thing about these bikes is the level of performance you get for not much $$. Even totally stock, if the tires & bearings are ok, I don't think they are that bad. I think a lot of the bike's rep is due to inexperienced riders w\> enthusiasm than riding skills & lack of maintenance. A fresh set of good tires makes all the difference in handling assuming other parts are not in-need.

In the 1970's I had a Kawi Mach III, now there you had reason to be concerned! Too-little front end weight, suspension that wasn't, unless compared to other bikes of the time, and a peaky powerband that was the reason for many inexperienced riders hurting themselves. I never wrecked mine but I knew many bikes were wrecked before they got 1K mi on them. You'd see them in the shop w/wasted front ends & pretzled handlebars but sometimes not even 100 mi on them.

I think the VMax is like the Mach III in that many owners don't respect the limitations of their skills when they twist the throttle. How-many times have you heard someone tell you, "wasn't that bike outlawed?" or hear it called a "widowmaker?"

Enjoy your ride, looks like a good deal. I imagine Gary Surdyke knows how to make a bike work right. I followed his success when he was racing pro.

I think you're dead on with people with over-zealous riding with them. My 929 is more powerful, 200+ lbs lighter, but it's "easier" to ride harder. This is my first cruiser, so there is definitely a learning curve, espeically with the amount of power that the bike has. I rolled the clutch quite a bit, just to make sure that I was able to control the power. Sitting in a relaxed postion with instantaneous throttle can be a recipe for disaster.

Latest posts

Back