What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don`t mean to hijack the thread but, I installed a thermostat that opens at 180 degrees F. and my bike still heats up to 220 degrees and, with the fan on it stays around 205-210 Is this normal ?:confused2: if it`s 100 degrees out side ?:ummm:
<<Dave>>:punk:

yes dave this is normal

I hooked up with another Maxer yesterday and rode to lunch and back. I did 25 miles on Saturday evening as a shake down run and then another 120 yesterday. Bike ran great and sounded even better. I got 41.45mpg out of it, which isn't bad with my fat ass on it.

Yes folks... This was my FIRST ride after binning it.

I had a crowd of 7-8 people around me at the biker hang out we went to for lunch after I fired it up. (That felt good)

Chock one up for Marks Exhaust! I NEVER had that before!

I hooked up with another Maxer yesterday and rode to lunch and back. I did 25 miles on Saturday evening as a shake down run and then another 120 yesterday. Bike ran great and sounded even better. I got 41.45mpg out of it, which isn't bad with my fat ass on it.

I had a crowd of 7-8 people around me at the biker hang out we went to for lunch after I fired it up. (That felt good)

u got any pics with it all back together?

u got any pics with it all back together?

Not yet! I want to wait till I get the Faux cover sanded and buffed.

I grabbed it from the painter before he had a chance to buff it out so it's still a bit blah looking.

I have it in my car now to bring back today for buffing. It has a CRAP ton of paint on it and has been curing for 2 weeks. I had to cover it with my coat when parked so it didn't get beat down by the sun. It's still soft so I have to be VERY careful.

Chris

Not yet! I want to wait till I get the Faux cover sanded and buffed.

I grabbed it from the painter before he had a chance to buff it out so it's still a bit blah looking.

I have it in my car now to bring back today for buffing. It has a CRAP ton of paint on it and has been curing for 2 weeks. I had to cover it with my coat when parked so it didn't get beat down by the sun. It's still soft so I have to be VERY careful.

Chris
eta?

Later this week I hope! I want to drop it off today and have them do the work. We'll see. They're VERY picky about doing it at the right time.

Well yesterday I dropped my OEM silencers (they weigh a TON!) and fitted that pair of slightly discolored Supertrapps that came with my spare bike.

Then went and rode it. These things are loud. I like them at idle, and when opening it up in the first couple of gears, but I'm not sure I like the constant drone at highway speed. Still, I did shed many pounds. What a dilemma..

Didn't notice any difference in the running other than noise. They kinda look cool too :)

Since we closed up the garage at after 12 am I guess it qualifies as "today". Rockatansky stoped by and we worked on the stereotypically poor charging/hot cranking symtoms of my 85. I started out doing a base line voltage test of the battery with the bike off, cranking, and running. I was disapointed to see I had lost about a volt over last years already poor high twelve to low 13v readings.
HHHmmmm. Saturday night on the way back home I notice that the head light seemed dimmer than I remembered it being.
Well, I started to pull things apart to install the new R/R and found the plug comming from the stator was burnt. ! I had already bought the newer style R/R from Gary McCoy.
After rewiring, rerouting, cleaning conections, soldering, and reassembling fired it up and it started with authority. The ground is now wired directly to the - bat terminal. let it warm up and did several restarts and it is definately spinning better now. Got 13.99v (it starts at 13.3 at lower r's) and it holds that up to the 6k range.
Now I just got to get longer screws to bolt the R/R to the pass foot peg bracket. Amzing I didn't get stranded as the stator conection was BBbbaadd. Anyone know if the later model R/R is grounding to the frame as well as through the black ground wire? I notice the housing is painted and not brite. Is there a benefit to sanding the mounting points to make a connection?
:th_pity:

After a previous thread and Chris giving me grief about my warning stickers , well off they came after attacking them with the hairdryer . They took awhile to come off tho . It has been 17 years tho , a quick clean up with petrol a wash and polish and you would never know they were on there .:punk:

Then off for a quick blat out in the country , doing bout 170kmph and bam hit a magpie . Hit me in the shoulder after clipping my mirror , no damage just a sore shoulder and a loose mirror . Scared the shit out of me it was almost a wild hog moment . :surprise:

Then off for a quick blat out in the country , doing bout 170kmph and bam hit a magpie . Hit me in the shoulder after clipping my mirror , no damage just a sore shoulder and a loose mirror . Scared the shit out of me it was almost a wild hog moment . :surprise:

glad you're ok man! that shit can scare the hell outa ya! he must have not seen ya w/out the stickers!:rofl_200:

See, that's what happens when you start removing those warning stickers. The safety sticker gods were angry and sent you a message.
Be careful now that you are living on the wild side of life.:biglaugh:

I bet that felt good :biglaugh:

I took the bike out for a little ride to put the vac. mod. to a test.
That beast pulled onto the freeway on ramp like a mad monkey, ( my front end is lowered 2 3/4 ins. at the triple tree ! and, it lifted up! between 2nd & 3rd and, when the v-boost kicked in; I was at damn near 100 mph.
I haven`t been scared in a long time and I almost pissed my pants LOL.
definatly the most fun I`ve had on it in a long time.:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
Fargo is right, you can`t equalize the vacume but, something happens in that engine that I can`t explain and I don`t care LOL:clapping:(like having your own personal roller coaster) and now I don`t wanna get off.:rofl_200:
<<Dave>>

I took the bike out for a little ride to put the vac. mod. to a test.
That beast pulled onto the freeway on ramp like a mad monkey, ( my front end is lowered 2 3/4 ins. at the triple tree ! and, it lifted up! between 2nd & 3rd and, when the v-boost kicked in; I was at damn near 100 mph.
I haven`t been scared in a long time and I almost pissed my pants LOL.
definatly the most fun I`ve had on it in a long time.:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
Fargo is right, you can`t equalize the vacume but, something happens in that engine that I can`t explain and I don`t care LOL:clapping:(like having your own personal roller coaster) and now I don`t wanna get off.:rofl_200:
<<Dave>>

so u relaly noticed a difference by adding all the vac hoses?

so u relaly noticed a difference by adding all the vac hoses?
As you know that I`ve had alot of problems with the bike but,it`s one of two things:: #1::could be that it`s never really run right (since I bought it
and now it does or;
#2:: something happened and now it`s a monster.
The guy I bought it from lived in Big Bear (thats about 7,000 feet up in the mountains so, when I rode it down and got down below 1,500 ft. I noticed a difference but I knew nothing about the bike so, I didnt want to mess with it until I did know something.
Even when other people told me that it ran great but, it dosen`t compare to how it runs now, I don`t know , I can`t explain it :confused2:
A roller coaster with v-boost ??:ummm:
<<Dave>>:punk:

Last edited:
I miss my bike a ton today. I'm in training in South Dakota 600+ miles away from my baby and its only 76 degrees here! Honestly if I knew it wasn't gonna rain the day I came up I would have rode her. Geez it was the perfect day to ride!!! I can't wait to get back home.

The sun is going down about midnight and rising about 3am-ish, so I went for a ride for a couple of hours in the dark.

Came back about 2:30am and started an in depth article on nitrous history, theory, application and tuning for the next couple issues of Vboost mag.

Hey KJ you're in Alaska, right? Anchorage? I am coming up to Whitehorse, Yukon at the end of the month to visit family (born and raised there). I miss those midnight sunsets... We're gonna go hunt them sheep!

Anyway, yesterday I conned my wife into helping me gut the garage out, get rid of all the shit we don't need, and put everything away properly. Now I have all kinds of space to tinker with the bike! She still thinks that she's gonna be able to park her van in there... ;)

Back