What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Install a R1 2010 R/R under the passenger seat and new 30 amp fuse mounted to
frame near fuel pump. New UB12220 battery from apex, 420cca 22ah.

Attachments

• vmax rr (2).jpg
    vmax rr (2).jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 28
  • vmax rr (3).jpg
    vmax rr (3).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 30
  • vmax rr (4).jpg
    vmax rr (4).jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 29
  • vmax rr (1).jpg
    vmax rr (1).jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 34
  • vmax rr (5).jpg
    vmax rr (5).jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 33
  • vmax rr (6).jpg
    vmax rr (6).jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 34
  • vmax rr.gif
    vmax rr.gif
    19.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 40696.jpg
    40696.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 27
I temporarily installed my cat eye taillight in place of the ugly stock brick light.
It fit well and looks good, I think I'm going to leave like this, no bracket needed. :D
I have some cleanup to do on it.
I'm going to paint the visible part of the inner fender black.
And also remove the little foam pieces on the black plastic housing.
I'll post better pictures when I can get it outside into the sun (so my flash won't affect them).

HI dman, I like the look of this on the vmax. I have 2 save in my amazon wish list. Thanks for posting this. Where did you buy yours from. Is it a led type light...

I going to go head and buy 1.... The 2 cat eye lights I have save in my wish list may not be the same as yours...

HI dman, I like the look of this on the vmax. I have 2 save in my amazon wish list. Thanks for posting this. Where did you buy yours from. Is it a led type light...

I going to go head and buy 1.... The 2 cat eye lights I have save in my wish list may not be the same as yours...
I bought this one because it has 60 LEDs and has a metal housing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-12V-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d4c2f5393

Just be aware that you will need to add a 100 Ohm or a 220 Ohm resistor to the running light wire to reduce the output so it will not be as bright as the brake light is.
Without the resistor the Running and Brake lights are the same brightness.
I also removed the rubber grommets from the sub-fender (I did re-use the washers though), so the bolts would stick through the fender enough to put the nuts on them.
I am also going to need to add some better license plate lighting.

Bill Seward also installed this same light on his '85 Vmax.
He added lighted license plate bolts to his and they work well.

I haven't decided if I'm going to use lighted bolts or a small LED strip for License plate lighting yet.
But I'm thinking something like this may work well:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUBE-UNIVER...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2330dceb

I bought this one because it has 60 LEDs and has a metal housing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-12V-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d4c2f5393

Just be aware that you will need to add a 100 Ohm or a 220 Ohm resistor to the running light wire to reduce the output so it will not be as bright as the brake light is.
Without the resistor the Running and Brake lights are the same brightness.
I also removed the rubber grommets from the sub-fender (I did re-use the washers though), so the bolts would stick through the fender enough to put the nuts on them.
I am also going to need to add some better license plate lighting.

Bill Seward also installed this same light on his '85 Vmax.
He added lighted license plate bolts to his and they work well.

I haven't decided if I'm going to use lighted bolts or a small LED strip for License plate lighting yet.
But I'm thinking something like this may work well:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUBE-UNIVER...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2330dceb

Thanks Dman for the info, also thanks for your help in the pass to.
I updated my battery to the ub12220. My old 1 i'm using it for my 12 volt air pump. I just bought the cateye light off of ebay... I wish you was local we would be out riding and stop off to eat my treat....

Thanks Dman for the info, also thanks for your help in the pass to.
I updated my battery to the ub12220. My old 1 i'm using it for my 12 volt air pump. I just bought the cateye light off of ebay... I wish you was local we would be out riding and stop off to eat my treat....
No Problem at all, I'm glad to help.
Let me know how you like that UB1220, I'm going to buy that one if/when my current UB12180 dies.

Finally got around to diagnosing my charging system. Everything checked ok except I think the R/R is gone. I'm piecing my own Mosfet system via eBay. Hopefully it'll be back charging where it's suppose to be by late next week.

Later, Doug

Check my r1 r/r voltage today with headlight and brake lights fan on. 14.1 to 14.2.
at idle.

Install a heat shield in front of the battery to keep it cooler and under the vboost and wiring. I have 10 rolls lift over from a job.

Install something to keep the battery from bouncing around.

Clean the bike up, took her for a ride.

Attachments

• IMG_20140521_110305.jpg
    IMG_20140521_110305.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20140521_113324.jpg
    IMG_20140521_113324.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20140521_114019.jpg
    IMG_20140521_114019.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20140522_093623.jpg
    IMG_20140522_093623.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 28
Finally got around to diagnosing my charging system. Everything checked ok except I think the R/R is gone. I'm piecing my own Mosfet system via eBay. Hopefully it'll be back charging where it's suppose to be by late next week.

Later, Doug
This what I did too, mounted it under the LH scoop in place of the V-boost controller / connector, they now reside below the ignition box where my front coils used to reside.

Check my r1 r/r voltage today with headlight and brake lights fan on. 14.1 to 14.2.
at idle.

Install a heat shield in front of the battery to keep it cooler and under the vboost and wiring. I have 10 rolls lift over from a job.

Install something to keep the battery from bouncing around.

Clean the bike up, took her for a ride.
I used some flexible plastic cutting board with some heat resistant tape on it to protect the fuel pump from the heat. I have removed the factory rear engine heat shield so I thought a little additional heat proofing might help. It still allows for air flow to go into the area, just not as much.

This what I did too, mounted it under the LH scoop in place of the V-boost controller / connector, they now reside below the ignition box where my front coils used to reside.

I used some flexible plastic cutting board with some heat resistant tape on it to protect the fuel pump from the heat. I have removed the factory rear engine heat shield so I thought a little additional heat proofing might help. It still allows for air flow to go into the area, just not as much.

I like the r/r mounting like you did to, For me under the seat is easy to get to...

I have 10 rolls lift over from installing split system GAS/AC roof top...
It give me something to do on the bike.

The roll of heat shield has a sticky side, I was looking to cover up the hole front and under the battery compartment to help keep motor heat/exhausts off... it works very well...

The front part of the motor, I made the heat shield look like a fan should witch no heat flow up now keeps wiring coils vboost cooler... I can't see unless been down and look up in there... just something I thought off.

I like the r/r mounting like you did to, For me under the seat is easy to get to...

I have 10 rolls lift over from installing split system GAS/AC roof top...
It give me something to do on the bike.

The roll of heat shield has a sticky side, I was looking to cover up the hole front and under the battery compartment to help keep motor heat/exhausts off... it works very well...

The front part of the motor, I made the heat shield look like a fan should witch no heat flow up now keeps wiring coils vboost cooler... I can't see unless been down and look up in there... just something I thought off.

Spray it black so it's not as noticeable

Converted my 85 to a spin on oil filter. Gonna make life much easier from here on out.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I'll more than likely get my exhaust pipes coated next winter so that should help with the heat as well. My local temps rarely get above 85° so doing much more is probably overkill.

Got pulled over. Guess my side mount, curved plate holder is not legal in MD. [emoji16]

Rode down to Portland to spend the weekend with a few friends. Well, I am going through Freeport on the 295, and it begins to rain. Frig it! I got a windshield to hide behind. Yeah, but when it starts coming down hard enough that I should worry about the laptop in my backpack getting wet, I do finally pull off the interstate and stop somewhere.

Made it down there after a break for coffee and to wrap my laptop in plastic bags, and it is rain free there. EXCELLENT!!! Cause Morgana wants to go for a ride! (She used to ride with me all the time on The ACE, and she DROOLED all over Woona.)

You know, I can ride all over the place like Nicky Hayden on meth, and never have an incident, but stopped in a parking lot so she can climb aboard, and the bike ends up on it's side.
facehoof.png
Why me... WHY lol

Yeah, it wet down, cause she tried climbing over that tall backrest, she started to lose her balance, and held on.

She also weighs in at 240 lbs.

fuck me...

10364176_10203115340059735_5622500023508767577_n.jpg

So now I have a custom shorty clutch lever!
SHUT THE HELL UP! IT'S CUSTOM CAUSE I SAY SO!

Ok, it's broke
twilightoops.png

Also, the grip is now a bit bent. Still works just fine.

Starting line tells me a new clutch lever will run me about $5 or so. notbad.com
scootangel.png

They also tell me a new shift lever runs about $90. dafuq

Fortunately, I was able to bend that back into it's proper position. I could NOT get that little rubber booty back on it, so I rednecked the fucker!
rainbowdetermined2.png

Hey, if it works...
Enough electrical tape fixes ANYTHING!

Or serves as a new shift lever booty.

10322573_10203115340699751_8763011417043274100_n.jpg

Back