What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received my custom Galfer lines for the 96. The 88 I'm building for my dad needed a new clutch line so I figured it was a good to to get shorter lines for the 96 since the Galfer li d's on there now are about 3 inches long. Ended up getting a whole new set in black and the 88 will get all of the clear stuff currently on the 96.

My dad is excited. He's never even been on a dirtbike but he got his permit and is coming this weekend. Going to take him to a big parking lot and then around town once he is ready.

If your father isn't a motorcyclist, and only has a piece of paper to say, "I'm learning," you really need to plug him into a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Beginning Rider program, not onto a 600 lb. 110 horsepower motorcycle. Just like you wouldn't introduce a new shooter to firearms by having him or her fire a 3-1/2 inch barrel .357 Smith & Wesson Model 27 for their first time pulling a trigger, your dad needs to learn on a 250-500 cc single or twin, something that is easy to keep upright, to turn, to stop, and to gain confidence upon before going for a ride on a VMax. Older peoples' reflexes aren't as-sharp as a young adult's. Their bones won't heal as-quickly, they can have osteoporosis, which could mean a much-more serious situation in the event of an accident. I wouldn't want any bike falling on me, but a 300 lb bike is going to be less-damaging than a 600 lb one. https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#m_course.asp

The LED 1157 bulbs came yesterday, and I installed them in the Roadstar and the cat eye taillight on the Max. I had to reposition the bulb to get the proper light dispersion, but it works well, and is really bright! I notice a slight repeated dimming and brightening of the bulb at idle. Not a flicker, as it doesn't go out, just slightly dims. I kinda think the cause is the series regulator opening the stator coils, letting the voltage vary a bit. Still 100% happy with it.

Today the LED voltage indicator got here. I put it on the flat part of the handlebar clamp. I ran the wires to a fuse that turns on with the key, and battery negative for a good ground. I'm getting all 3 lights green just off idle. While removing the headlight to remove the old meter wiring, I switched to a 80/100 watt bulb. Holy cow, it sure is bright now! So now I have a voltage indicator that is easily visible in daylight, and reads accurate compared to a voltmeter hooked to the battery.. Just in time to put the bike away in a few weeks.

Today the LED voltage indicator got here. I put it on the flat part of the handlebar clamp. I ran the wires to a fuse that turns on with the key, and battery negative for a good ground. I'm getting all 3 lights green just off idle. While removing the headlight to remove the old meter wiring, I switched to a 80/100 watt bulb. Holy cow, it sure is bright now! So now I have a voltage indicator that is easily visible in daylight, and reads accurate compared to a voltmeter hooked to the battery.. Just in time to put the bike away in a few weeks.

No pics? :biglaugh:

Just got these back from Fotomat..
Engine was running about 1200 RPM. Note all 3 green lights are on. Good charging!
The tail light is on tail light function. The brake function is very much brighter.

Attachments

• 100_1366.jpg
    100_1366.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 100_1367.jpg
    100_1367.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 17
Just got these back from Fotomat..
Engine was running about 1200 RPM. Note all 3 green lights are on. Good charging!
The tail light is on tail light function. The brake function is very much brighter.

always tell myself i need to get a clock on mine. hate not knowing what time it is when im going to work and stuck in traffic.

I got these on EBay. I'm thinking they were less than $15.00 for the pair. The thermometer works good, too. Pretty accurate. The clock hands glow in the dark, too.

Still waiting on my fuel lines. So i lowered the forks 1" down. Since I have changed to radials, the rear has dropped a bit. Also, helps put a bit more slack in the brake lines as I changed to galfers, which are a bit short since I have the 2" risers.

I took the back rim off for a new boot. I have a Commander II to go on to match the front.

We have a local poker run on this weekend so time for a ride. New tyres, new helmet too. Better be fine!!

I've got my pig tail to tie the v-boost control to the Ignatech unit. If I don't ride I'll get it done along with an idiot light for the charging system. New helmet arrived the other day. Shoie Quest. It's light, and fairly quiet, and with good ventilation. At $265 I think the price was right.

Today I rode it with the new Michelin Commander II. Holy crap what a difference. I went from an admittedly squared off Mezteler (on when I got it) to this which has a great rounded profile.
It dropped into the first corner so quick it caught me out. I had the matching front fitted awhile ago.
I like them. So far I only had a quick ride to scrub it in, its still 1.5 inches off the edge but I need a decent ride.

Its a 150/90/15 as Im happy with the stock size and previously messing with sizes has ruined handling for me. I dont care for wide tyres anyway. Im a function over form guy.

Watched Sean's video for the bounce test as I have a slow speed wobble. Bounced 3-4 times. Used screw driver and hammer to tighten. Can't wait to ride her with all the changes I have made.

Rode the dickens out of it. Anybody know what the little joints are for between the carb tubes in the air box? Put on a uni air filter for the paper one.

Went on a poker run. It was Harley dominated but they were ok guys. All noise no go but I expected that.
I figured I was the only guy getting the front going light as I gassed it up. I was definitely the only guy in 1 piece white/orange/black race leathers and a red Shoei too!
Im nowhere tough enough for a matt black open face lid.........:icon_rolleyes:

Well, you're in the Mad Max/Road Warrior part of the world, so matte black, black leather, and attitude are part of the H-D mystique. Of course, Toecutter's and Nightrider's choices of rides ran more-to KZ1000's than Harley-Davidsons, but they were definitely in the 'black & menacing, w/attitude' camp. By any chance did you happen to see Bubba Zanetti? I had a Shoei helmet just like this one, it was the First Shoei that used Kevlar. Still have an OEM shield for it.

500px-207843_193774053992799_100000806186514_402802_3633713_n.jpg

Went on a poker run. It was Harley dominated but they were ok guys. All noise no go but I expected that.
I figured I was the only guy getting the front going light as I gassed it up. I was definitely the only guy in 1 piece white/orange/black race leathers and a red Shoei too!

+1. Ditching the bucket helmet is something I'm preaching to my old buddy. And, to get a decent full helmet. He just wrecked his brand new Triumph Rocket. His first sport type bike. He's nursing multiple broken ribs. And was very lucky he didn't kill himself. The stubborn fool still won't get proper gear. He had no idea new tires are slick and the Rocket wasn't his old Shovel Head power wise.
Steve-o

Back