What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did solid mounts and bar end mirrors over the winter. Recently got the bike running and have noticed some buzzing in the bars. Figured it was due to the solid mounts. After more riding, I noticed the buzzing was stronger on the throttle side.

When I installed the bar end mirrors I put the clutch side in flush against the end of the bars. On the throttle side, I left a tiny gap between the end of the bars and grip to allow the throttle to snap shut properly without getting hung up.

All I did was reposition the bar end mirror on the the throttle side so it was tight up against the end of the bars and move my throttle over just enough to have the needed clearance to snap shut without hanging up.

Never thought that tiny gap between the end of the bars and mirror would have made a difference but it really did.

I think you'll have a hard time getting 9,500rpm out of your OD gear - I think there'll be too much drag for the engine power available. Unless you can make yourself as aerodynamic as a needle, that is LOL :)

Ya, he needs some extra ponnies to hit 9,5k with overdrive.

Hey Brian, there goes Your next monky upgrade...NOS system or bigger engine LOL :biglaugh:

Ripins 1 hour paint job. I had enough of black, and I love red on a max.There are some very nice red max's on this forum and I always wanted mine red.....wait...what was I thinking,..I'm a painter by trade....rip them tins off NOW lol.So I went in the shop and grew this color.I love it and the bike looks like its ALIVE now. Base coat clear, sherwin williams. Just for fun I looked through my color paint chip book to see what the color was close to....and do you know what I found ? ......its just about identical to the coke a cola color germany uses lol.

Attachments

• paintedvmax 001.jpg
    paintedvmax 001.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 16
  • vmaxpaint2 002.jpg
    vmaxpaint2 002.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 22
  • vmaxpaint2 003.jpg
    vmaxpaint2 003.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 20
  • vmaxpaint2 004.jpg
    vmaxpaint2 004.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 19
  • finalvmax paint 001.jpg
    finalvmax paint 001.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 31
  • finalvmax paint 002.jpg
    finalvmax paint 002.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 21
  • finalvmax paint 003.jpg
    finalvmax paint 003.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 21
I picked up a set of the small Cortech saddlebags in black. They look like they belong on the bike, and nothing else has so far. Now I get to spend the rest of the afternoon figuring out to attach them. The way they're intended to work, wont, obviously because of our gas tank. I'm either going to bolt them to the grab rail and leave em stationary, or to the sides of the rear section of the MaxGasser, which will probably look better along with keeping them up higher.

I hate punching holes in brand new shit (both the bags and my seat) but what are ya gonna do? Not much in the world is designed with the Max in mind.

Wednesday, went down to Lincoln to tear apart/clean Hulign's carbs. Today, he's coming up and we're doing a tune up. Fuel filter, plugs, caps and wires. He gave me his old stock rear wheel/rotor with a 90% ME880 on it so going to swap wheels/rotors since my tire is getting thin.

Howard, coming over?

Repainted the engine. Paint was peeling off so I wire brushed,steel wool,sand pappered everything I could get to with out taking the engine out. Used high temp gloss black paint and modeling brushes. Looks like new...for now. Hope I dont see bubbling and peeling soon.
I always seems that even cosmetic improvements seem to make the bike run better.

200 miles of nothing but smiles.
And 2 hooters pressed against my back.
now Off to a local bike night.
life is good.

Well as nice as hooters against your back are.... I completed my first brake job on my bike, EBC HH pads! I was a little intimidated at first, but with a little support from friends like you here at the forum, I was able to do it.
The rears wore pretty even but the fronts another story. The left side (sitting on bike) was completely toast, while the right side only the inside pad was toast and the outer right pad was barley used. Whith a new bottle of brake cleaner, I proceeded to clean them up. I did not remove the pistons, I think that is over my head without someone there to bail me out. I removed all the fluid from the res and collapsed the pistons with no problem, instalation was a breeze. I think I should have pushed the pistons out a little more to clean them, but I'll save that for next time. The only problem I have now is that the right side rotar is hotter than the left, so I think the caliper is froze up. I lifted the front wheel while on center stand to free spin the wheel. I can here both sides rubbing, is that normal? And the tire will only rotate about 1 1/2 turns, is that normal? My fear now is that I will warp the rotar if it gets too hot.

I can here both sides rubbing, is that normal? And the tire will only rotate about 1 1/2 turns, is that normal? My fear now is that I will warp the rotar if it gets too hot.

You DO need to go back, try and push out the pistons out as far as you can go without them popping out, and then do your best for cleaning them thoroughly before pushing them back in with the help of C clamps.

TBH it sounds like your right caliper (or both) would benefit from a rebuild, they're either dirty or in new of new seals. And you're right, your pads will wear unevenly again, your mpg will be crap, and you do risk warping one or both of your front rotors.

If you don't feel confident rebuilding your calipers, either get help form another local Meaxxer if you have one, or call/email Sean Morley. He has countless parts and is the most helpful person on the planet - I'm sure he could do you an calipers exchange for a very decent price, then all you'll have to do is swap them and bleed your front brakes, which we can help you with. :punk:

Thanks for the tip, I went on a short run today, maybe 60 miles and only used the rear brake. I remember my training instructor (police officer trainer) telling me that you have more control over the bike using the rear anyway, the front should only be used to assist ini an emergengy stop. I will dismount the calipers/pads and push the pistons out for a good cleaning. How will I know when to stop pushing them out? if I tale the pads out and squeese the brake lever, won't it push the pistons completly out of the bore, or does something retain the pistons?

Thanks for the tip, I went on a short run today, maybe 60 miles and only used the rear brake. I remember my training instructor (police officer trainer) telling me that you have more control over the bike using the rear anyway, the front should only be used to assist ini an emergengy stop. I will dismount the calipers/pads and push the pistons out for a good cleaning. How will I know when to stop pushing them out? if I tale the pads out and squeese the brake lever, won't it push the pistons completly out of the bore, or does something retain the pistons?

nothing retains the pistons. so if you push and push they'd eventually pop. to remove them u blow compressed air in the caliper (taken off the brake line). when i do it i ususlly push them out 2-3mm more than they are and clean 'em up.

Bike started idling like doo doo and would eventually stall. did the ol' shotgun technique to the carbs and it feels like a new bike :biglaugh:. My only question is that I bought some sea foam and don't really know how much to add per full tank of gas.

Bike started idling like doo doo and would eventually stall. did the ol' shotgun technique to the carbs and it feels like a new bike :biglaugh:. My only question is that I bought some sea foam and don't really know how much to add per full tank of gas.

normally, just a couple ounces.

for fixing, maybe up to a 1/3 of a can.

Changed out the front pads and fluid. EBC HH, and quite a difference just on the break in stops. Took out HH pads, but a different Japanese brand.

So far, very good.

Brian

Changed out the front pads and fluid. EBC HH, and quite a difference just on the break in stops. Took out HH pads, but a different Japanese brand.

So far, very good.

Brian

You didn't happen to have a problem with them pulsating before you did the swap, did you?

Yes Garrett, I'm still having that issue and yes, I know you're going to probably tell me to change the stupid pads, but you know my current situation so be nice. :)

--

mod monkey snuck up on me.
i bought a complete front end off of a 97 (forks,trees)
also got some rotors off a 93. now it's time to add the busa 6 pot calipers.
i've been hanging on too.
aluminum motor mounts are on there way.
all this should fix my 85's handling issues.i hope

Back