What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put a new gas tank in thanks to vmax2extreme, put new progressive 440's thanks to Sean Morley, new brake pads and started reassembling the bike. Waiting for the valve shim loaner kit from Sean so I can check and adjust the valves, then the real fun begins. Bought the bike for $500 and just going through it getting it running then I will begin the mods.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 36
Added a fly screen I acquired recently thanks to Ernie out of Canada (a few of you met him in person at the FL tech day). Next step is to install that loud ass horn I picked up form another Vmax forum member, I tested it and holy shit is it loud. I just need to figure out how it wires into the relay and I didn't have the patience to tinker with it today after 2 weeks on the road.

http://anycycle.com/vmax/vmax_shield.jpg

Happy your happy with the fly screen. Hope to see you guys at the next tech day in the fall?

I took my bike to the garage and got the forks stripped & new tubes fitted. I have 40k miles on the bike, so she's getting old. Should I make sure they change the bushes as well to keep things tight, or will they be ok? I have uprated the brakes (hayabusa 6 pots, thanks Sean Morely - like a ships anchor, seriously!) so I want to make sure i dont have play in the front end.

Installed DDM HID light, LED tail and turn signal lights. I'll have to post about that later. Also rode to my friend's house just around the corner with the stock final drive for the first time. I can tell this is gonna be a different machine than with the Venture. Still haven't stopped my oil weep, but that will get taken care of eventually, I'm sure. Happy to have put on my gear and gone out instead of taking the car.

Actually felt the V-BOOST!!!!! :eusa_dance::punk:

I guess with the venture final drive, the punch just wasn't quite there. Took the bike out today for the first time for real with the stock final drive. Totally different! Also, my oil leak behind the middle gear cover is getting worse. Looks like it's gonna have to come off sooner than engine removal time. :bang head:

Went to a vintage bike show up in the mountains it was a great 2hr ride up there,

However that a rain font came and stayed. And soaked us then the 1.5hr ride home on back roads and some interstate thru the mountains and a couple of 7% down grades, SUCKed, then about 10miles into the return trip my speedo quits working. But on the awesome side riding two up pulled 30pmg

Went to a vintage bike show up in the mountains it was a great 2hr ride up there,

However that a rain font came and stayed. And soaked us then the 1.5hr ride home on back roads and some interstate thru the mountains and a couple of 7% down grades, SUCKed, then about 10miles into the return trip my speedo quits working. But on the awesome side riding two up pulled 30pmg

Here's some inexpensive, effective rain gear, w/reflective piping top & bottom: http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/RoadToads.shtm

Size XL $70 for both top & bottom. They pack-down to next-to-nothing in size and they sure make your trip in the rain more-bearable. It is very easy to become hypothermic on a bike when you're soaked-wet. Your reactions slow, your cognitive processes suffer, and you can't stop as-quickly when someone turns-left in-front of you because of those factors, and the wet roads.

Bet your speedo is maybe a loose connection or a snapped drive wire/cable.

Lots of things yesterday. Wrapping the suspension concluded the function over form mods planned for the mighty max, and today began more of the fun stuff. It's nice to finally lose some of the boxes of junk and actually get it on the bike.

1. Re-bled the clutch after traffic caused it to suck. Pressure was so good fluid shot out the res like a fountain. Fortunately towels and tank prep made that a non-issue. After bleeding it I replaced the Yamaha branded res covers with cheesy Vmax covers.

2. Installed a dual usb charger for sena headset/phone/gps/whatever makes sense. I could have just used the battery tender's pigtail and an adapter but I really wanted it on a keyed wire so I didn't have a fully charged usb thing and a dead bike battery.

(It's sticking out the bottom there behind the frame)

3. Installed a Flash2Pass in the headlight bucket. Guys were asking about the posi-taps for electrical connections? It should be clear from this picture that I love those things.

4. Installed a battery meter and shift light (combo unit). I always want a battery meter/charging system indicator, and while shift lights are kind of cheesy, I've justified this to myself by the fact there's no rev limiter on this bike and vboost pushes you right up to the redline. So I'll be setting the shift light right at the redline, and probably the start of the range at the 5-6k where vboost starts to open.

4a. Get to tach wires

4b. Identify tach wires (brown = positive, gray = tach, and black = ground)

4c. Found where they were routed down the side of the bike and under the scoop. Oddly, in all this mess of wires there wasn't a ground. I had to run an extra stretch of it from the headlight bucket. I could have done it all right under the instrument cluster but it was really cramped and I didn't trust for a solid connection with the room I had to work with. (Note: more posi-taps and a posi-lock for the extra ground)

4d. Cleaned up wiring.

4e. 3M tape that thing to the speedo.

Done. I need to configure it yet, and then I'll probably post a short vid of it in action.

Today i took an idea from a member about installing a 12 volt plug for my cell phone or gps. I also, got up the nerve to take my rear wheel off myself to save money on a tire change tomorrow. This wouldnt have been possible without threads from this forum. I decided that since i was taking the wheel off i would take the Cobra slip-ons off and put the factory pipes back on. Only problem i found was that i didnt have a center stand on the bike. So, it was kinda like a puzzle. Had to take the Cobras off, put the center stand on (not easy by the way), put the bike on the stand, take the rear wheel off, then put the factory pipes on. Ive only had my bike a little over a month and this is the most i have done to it. Thanks again to you all.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367205491918.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367205491918.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 26
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367205514703.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367205514703.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 29
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367205530629.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367205530629.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Picked up the gauge pod from my friend who cut it out on his CNC mill. Needs painted, but turned out nice. It houses my A/F gauge, oil pressure, shift light, and gear indicator in a "halo" around the speedometer.

Attachments

• gauge 002.jpg
    gauge 002.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 26
  • gauge 001.jpg
    gauge 001.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 25
  • gauge 003.jpg
    gauge 003.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 38
I tackled a job today that I normally do every year but had neglected last year which was to clean/ polish my SS exhaust. It had road grime/ oil stains/ some other melted plasticity substance and heavy heat discoloration built up on it. But thanks to Greg (Ninjaneer) and his suggestion of Barkeepers Friend metal cleaner (I used both powder and liquid). With a little elbow grease, warm water, and a old gray scotchbrite pad my Marks exhaust collectors cleaned up very nicely! I used some Mothers metal polish to make them shine once again. I still have to do the front and rear headers with the rear headers being the worst (heat discoloration), but I at least now have the hope that they will be able to cleaned up fairly well.
Also, I installed my Dyna 3000 and didn't like how those dip switches are exposed, I am going to need to seal/ cover that up so I'm thinking a bit of dielectric grease and maybe a rubber cover/ shield to deflect any water getting into this area. I don't want to trap water as condensation under it so it will have to designed properly. Any idea's or suggestions?

After 7 months of hiding I got all my pieces back on the bike and she fired up like it was yesterday I started it. Choke for few sec and it settled in to nice idle sans choke.....marks pipes sound soo sweet.....
Now if spring could show up I might be able to ride....:bang head::bang head:

20130428_192344.jpg

here pic with new parts added.....frame connectors and some colored parts here and there

Nice looking surround/gauge mount.

On the power block added. We now have USB power adapters designed specifically for the bikes!

You what? Aw man.
2. Installed a dual usb charger for sena headset/phone/gps/whatever makes sense. I could have just used the battery tender's pigtail and an adapter but I really wanted it on a keyed wire so I didn't have a fully charged usb thing and a dead bike battery.

(It's sticking out the bottom there behind the frame)

You mean I could have had something out of the box that would have looked better than something zip-tied to the frame or hanging off the handlebars? Do you have pics of this mount?

Picked up the gauge pod from my friend who cut it out on his CNC mill. Needs painted, but turned out nice. It houses my A/F gauge, oil pressure, shift light, and gear indicator in a "halo" around the speedometer.

How do you intend on fitting it?

How do you intend on fitting it?
Designed to be snug on the outside diameter of the speedo, then i added 2 small set screws just in case! Painting it for now, but my friends going to get it annodized black for me. I will post up some pics of the final assembly when its done.

Back