What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You get full marks for your ingenuity, but I agree with the above assessments. Your fabrication has a design flaw.
In my opinion, it's not the fasteners that are the problem, or the thickness of the aluminum plate, it's the shape of the cutouts in the plate itself. The large size of the backrest pad is also exacerbating the problem.
Simple physics - F=PxA Force equals pressure times area.
I'm not sure how much actual pressure would be on the backrest in the event of a sudden acceleration (or front wheel lift?!!) of your bike - this would depend on the circumstances and weight of the passenger - but the large area of the backrest would mean that a greater force would be transferred to the weakest point of the assembly, that being the sections immediately above the bolts, which appears to be no larger than 1" wide x 1/4" thick. This is where the bending would occur.
I would suggest that you disassemble the backrest from the bike, and put the bolted area in a bench vise. Then apply some pulling force to the top of the pad. I think that you will see that the rest will bend very easily at the mentioned sections.
Only intended as "constructive criticism", not trash talking, because this is a safety issue.
Cheers!

She weighs 120lbs but I will look into bracing it from the side and see what I can make work ill update this weekend.

Braced the back rest and added support on the frame it's rock solid now
6EE93E1C-A1E0-4AB5-9F54-8A7375303477_zpswcwdskhs.jpg

What about just welding-in the perimeter of the gusset you just did? Welding the plate to the Yamaha loop? I think that would satisfy the most-skeptic person.

I want to keep it removable for now takes about 3 mins to take on and off I honestly believe the way it is now I could tow something with it ha

Just got this in the mail today. Lookin forward to taking some before and after shots:

Repaint my side covers, install 2 resin stickers on the motor,
All so on the 24th of last month I was rear ended total my car. And few Doc's I went to thought I should stop riding motorcycles. Man lower back problems now.

Attachments

• IMG_20140824_170606.jpg
    IMG_20140824_170606.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 32
  • P1060196.jpg
    P1060196.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 28
  • P1060175.jpg
    P1060175.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 26
  • P1060182.jpg
    P1060182.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 27
  • P1060190.jpg
    P1060190.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 26
  • P1060200.jpg
    P1060200.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 27
  • P1060234.jpg
    P1060234.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 29
  • P1060212.jpg
    P1060212.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 27
James I'm glad I don't see that for sale sign also on your car I think that will buff out !! :punk:

Funny, going to buy the car back from the insurance company. And pull the motor and trans out. Super charge motor. 6 speed trans in the car.

Thanks Jamie I was feeling a little down. Going to keep the bike and see what happens. I wlll still be update the bike. I talk to Tony the guy that came up to buy the bike. He offer me $200.00 more to sale him the bike. Funny my $200.00. He told me if I do sale it please let him no.

"O" just order these vmax hose kit.

Attachments

• vmax blue hose set.jpg
    vmax blue hose set.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 19
Bike is looking good James

Thanks Crackerrican, i almost sold it. You have some sweet update items on your bike. I'm not sure what next to do to it. Maybe shocks on the rear and a gas gauge and sending unit.

Attachments

• vmax nice pic.jpg
    vmax nice pic.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 35
Repaint my side covers, install 2 resin stickers on the motor,
All so on the 24th of last month I was rear ended total my car. And few Doc's I went to thought I should stop riding motorcycles. Man lower back problems now.

I'm glad that your keeping the bike. It will be good for your spirits.

You should look into getting an inversion table for your back. My back was so bad a while back I could hardly do anything but shuffle around painfilly at home for 3 weeks.

I bought a table off Amazon after reading pages of buyer's reports. The one that sold me was the report that said 70% of those that were contemplating back surgery changed their mind after using one.
So I purchased one, the pain relief was astounding and immediate! At first the pain relief only lasted about 30 munites, and I would get on the table again for a couple munites for instant relief.

The time between pain spazms got longer and longer, and after 4 days, I WAS HEALED!! This was about 9 months ago, no back trouble since.

You should look into getting an inversion table for your back. My back was so bad a while back I could hardly do anything but shuffle around painfilly at home for 3 weeks.

I bought a table off Amazon after reading pages of buyer's reports. The one that sold me was the report that said 70% of those that were contemplating back surgery changed their mind after using one.
So I purchased one, the pain relief was astounding and immediate! At first the pain relief only lasted about 30 munites, and I would get on the table again for a couple munites for instant relief.

The time between pain spazms got longer and longer, and after 4 days, I WAS HEALED!! This was about 9 months ago, no back trouble since.

My wifie is going up to staples and pick 1 up, on sale thanks I will try it.

Attachments

• m000826151_sc7.jpeg
    m000826151_sc7.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 15
I'm glad that your keeping the bike. It will be good for your spirits.

Thanks tiraumahawk, I'm kinda glad to. The guy had $5000.00 cash with him to pick up the bike.

Thanks Jamie for talking me out of selling it.

Hope it works for you like it did for me. If the pressure in your head becomes quickly uncomfortable like me, simply use my tecnique.
Adjust table so that you're mostly balanced horizontaly after inverting. Then invert to about 60 deg for long enough to get stretched out good, then stay relaxed and slowly pull up to near level and relax like that a few munites then dip back and repeat a few times per session.

I have a inversion table also I go at 33% works well for me the pressure gets to be to much in my head you have to be able to relax and let your body go limp .It took about a week for me to get use to it and now I swear by mine I use it once a week .

The hardbags I ordered for my bike came in today. Includes mounting hardware. Overall, I am pleased, and this was $75.98 VERY well spent in my opinion.
10422460_10203903078192696_6264466993049724757_n.jpg

10646912_10203903078472703_4628371699919228395_n.jpg

10570276_10203903078992716_4098605096695811583_n.jpg

10606305_10203903079432727_6745780048210331854_n.jpg

I should look into getting one of those. With my back, I prefer bikes that have a long reach to the bars with my body at a decent lean. (Was able to get that positioning on the Shadow, tighter rider triangle on Woona, with things in the way of changing the bars to ones that will place me in the position I prefer) Maybe this will help me feel more comfortable in a more upright position.

Hope it works for you like it did for me. If the pressure in your head becomes quickly uncomfortable like me, simply use my tecnique.
Adjust table so that you're mostly balanced horizontaly after inverting. Then invert to about 60 deg for long enough to get stretched out good, then stay relaxed and slowly pull up to near level and relax like that a few munites then dip back and repeat a few times per session.

Thanks it's here now, I will try it out later on tonight.

Back