What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Installed my new APX12220 (420 CCA- 22Ah) AGM battery and took it out for a ride to the local cruise night.

Attachments

• DSCF6019.jpg
    DSCF6019.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF6020.jpg
    DSCF6020.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF6025.jpg
    DSCF6025.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 30
Installed my new APX12220 (420 CCA- 22Ah) AGM battery and took it out for a ride to the local cruise night.

You and the ladies Dennis! Glad to see you're back out and about on your max.
Looks great with the make over.
Dale

+3, I too put one in last week. It seams to be a great deal for a powerful battery. It holds about 12.9 volts overnight. My old USB? It cranks my lawn tractor incredibly fast. It was getting toward the end of it's vmax service life.

I put the stage 7 springs in. Went for a ride. They are barely felt when installing the carb diaphragm covers. My observation is they make my mid-range a little bit too rich. The throttle is twitchy as hell with them in. I'll go back to the springs I was using prior. Shorter than stock but longer and more tension than the stage 7's.

I put the stage 7 springs in. Went for a ride. They are barely felt when installing the carb diaphragm covers. My observation is they make my mid-range a little bit too rich. The throttle is twitchy as hell with them in. I'll go back to the springs I was using prior. Shorter than stock but longer and more tension than the stage 7's.

An old work-around for reducing the effective spring length was to tie-together several coils using safety wire, kinda like changing the springs in a distributor for the centrifugal advance weights to change how soon the mechanical advance came in. Cheap, effective, performance mod. I still have a dwell meter. :biglaugh: Kevin Cameron (Cycle World) awhile ago said how he finally recycled a bunch of old equipment including his dwell meter, since he wasn't working on anything that old anymore.

You and the ladies Dennis! Glad to see you're back out and about on your max.
Looks great with the make over.
Dale
Thanks, it just feels Great to be riding gain !

+3, I too put one in last week. It seams to be a great deal for a powerful battery. It holds about 12.9 volts overnight. My old USB? It cranks my lawn tractor incredibly fast. It was getting toward the end of it's vmax service life.
My UB12180 was 9 years old so I ordered the new stronger battery just because I wanted to try it out.
I'll be keeping the UB12180 around just in case I need it for my snow blower or whatever.
The APX12220 definitely cranks my Vmax really fast so as long as it lasts 5 years or more I'll be happy.
And it was only $46 (using APEX5 code for 5% off) shipped to my door.

Did the peashooter on my '99 to try to eliminate the poor running. When I drained the float bowls I got a bunch of crap out of the two right side carbs. I'll likely still have to do the shotgun.

Can the float bowls be removed with the carbs in place? I'd feel better pulling them to get all of the remaining crap out.

Did the peashooter on my '99 to try to eliminate the poor running. When I drained the float bowls I got a bunch of crap out of the two right side carbs. I'll likely still have to do the shotgun.

Can the float bowls be removed with the carbs in place? I'd feel better pulling them to get all of the remaining crap out.

No. Gotta pull the carb rack off the bike and split the rack in half at least. You can leave front and back pairs together. If you going that far, I would just give them a total cleaning.

Short story... Put on about 400 miles while riding with Reese and wrecked my Vmax a little after the halfway point.

Went into a tight turn a little to fast, hit the edge of the road where it met gravel, nearly recovered, but then caught my crash bar against the pavement and high-sided.

Good news I walked away with only a few bruises to myself, my ego, and my Vmax. In the end I lost my left mirror, cracked my CBR tail light (rest of tail, tag, etc was unscathed), scratched my front left signal (might buff out, excuse to get LED ones if it doesnt), cractched my helmet visor, and probably another minor thing or two I will find after I give it a closer look tomorrow. All in all it was very minor and I thank God for keeping me from really messing myself up (I think the big man really didn't want me to miss my volunteer work at the church tomorrow).

Attachments

• DSC_0356.jpg
    DSC_0356.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0359.jpg
    DSC_0359.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_0360.jpg
    DSC_0360.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 26
Short story... Put on about 400 miles while riding with Reese and wrecked my Vmax a little after the halfway point.

Went into a tight turn a little to fast, hit the edge of the road where it met gravel, nearly recovered, but then caught my crash bar against the pavement and high-sided.

Good news I walked away with only a few bruises to myself, my ego, and my Vmax. In the end I lost my left mirror, cracked my CBR tail light (rest of tail, tag, etc was unscathed), scratched my front left signal (might buff out, excuse to get LED ones if it doesnt), cractched my helmet visor, and probably another minor thing or two I will find after I give it a closer look tomorrow. All in all it was very minor and I thank God for keeping me from really messing myself up (I think the big man really didn't want me to miss my volunteer work at the church tomorrow).

Glad your ok :punk:

Glad to hear your ok tex, If that helmet hit the ground they are made to shatter inside on impact- and don't forget there are a few guys on here that can loan you their egos.:rofl_200:

Put my 85 up for sale here in Wasilla, Alaska.
Cannot take it with me to Australia, and i'm not coming back i think.
At the least its cash to buy another.
So anyone in Alaska go look at the Craigslist, its a fair price.

Good news I walked away with only a few bruises to myself, my ego, and my Vmax.
Just wasn't your time to get seriously injured , or check out completely. Yes, the Big Guy in the Sky has other tasks planned for you, while on terra firma.
Years ago, a workmate of mine came up with a tremendously effective way to self-regulate his need for speed while on his Goldwing - a photo of his newborn son, taped to the inside lower portion of his windshield.
Cheers, ride safe!

Glad to hear your ok tex, If that helmet hit the ground they are made to shatter inside on impact- and don't forget there are a few guys on here that can loan you their egos.:rofl_200:

It scraped more than hit. Since it is a modular unit I will make sure I break it down fully and inspect the inside. Thanks for the tip!

Just wasn't your time to get seriously injured , or check out completely. Yes, the Big Guy in the Sky has other tasks planned for you, while on terra firma.
Years ago, a workmate of mine came up with a tremendously effective way to self-regulate his need for speed while on his Goldwing - a photo of his newborn son, taped to the inside lower portion of his windshield.
Cheers, ride safe!

I'm going to put a picture of Abby on my speedometer to keep me in check going forward!

thanks!

Back