What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it inspected. Rode it about twenty miles weaving all over the place on the highway, and decided that I needed to check my steering bearings when I got home. wouldn't you know, I could set my bars anywhere in the travel and they'd stay there. Those nuts must have been really tight. It makes me wonder if that's why I'd been having the weird turning left problems since I brought it up here to Virginia. Anyway. I might get to try out my heated gloves tomorrow if I go test my steering bearing adjustment to see if it fixes my problems. Also, I didn't let my clear job cure enough (not that it could in the temps we've been having) so my cover made some nice little compression marks in my super glossy clear coat. I'll sand it in the spring. I was just really happy to go ride today. My Tenere makes good power, and is certainly not slow (ask Redbone), but the V-Max is just such a different beast. It felt tiny while I was riding it.

Stay safe out there, guys.

If you have not visually inspected the bearings you might want to Yamaha did not put much grease from the factory. I pulled the 95 apart the other day & the bearings were fine but dirty & not a whole lot of grease. I cleaned them & repacked them & it is like new now.

That's on the list for when I take the front wheel off for paint. I could probably get the whole front end off in 10 minutes now, though. We'll see how long I want to spend out in the cold tomorrow.

Bought those Progressive rear shocks from Kyle.. 31 years, and 130,000 miles, it's probably time for new ones!

As Rod Stewart said, "every picture tells a story."

Attachments

• 20170105_164152.jpg
    20170105_164152.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 48
Nothing, just walked past her in the garage wishing I was able to ride today.

Waiting for the kickoff and hoping Alabama's winning streak comes to an end tonight.

Went out to the garage and grabbed the tools needed to swap out the rear shocks. We got a warm spell coming up later in the week, and maybe I can get the shocks on, and pull the wheels for the tire change..

I started my tear down for an undercut gear set and a new upgrade gear set for my wide tire offset.
The mod monkey's fur was standing up on his back again, wonder whats next for the max......

If you have not visually inspected the bearings you might want to Yamaha did not put much grease from the factory. I pulled the 95 apart the other day & the bearings were fine but dirty & not a whole lot of grease. I cleaned them & repacked them & it is like new now.
How about no grease! All that's on there from the factory is the rust preventative. I repacked the head bearing on the 03 in 04 right after I bought it. The bike now has over 61,000 miles on it and the head bearings are still good. Grease is some pretty amazing stuff when used properly. Just saying.
Oh, I looked at both my discontinued bikes sitting in the shop.

Steering bearings are on my list of jobs for this season... I've still got the originals in there, though they've been repacked a few times. Not going to like getting the old races out, though...

Got it inspected. Rode it about twenty miles weaving all over the place on the highway, and decided that I needed to check my steering bearings when I got home. wouldn't you know, I could set my bars anywhere in the travel and they'd stay there. Those nuts must have been really tight. It makes me wonder if that's why I'd been having the weird turning left problems since I brought it up here to Virginia. Anyway. I might get to try out my heated gloves tomorrow if I go test my steering bearing adjustment to see if it fixes my problems. Also, I didn't let my clear job cure enough (not that it could in the temps we've been having) so my cover made some nice little compression marks in my super glossy clear coat. I'll sand it in the spring. I was just really happy to go ride today. My Tenere makes good power, and is certainly not slow (ask Redbone), but the V-Max is just such a different beast. It felt tiny while I was riding it.

Stay safe out there, guys.
It is pretty quick, It's parallel twin engine (firing order is same as R1) makes around 110 hp and it weighs less than the Vmax but I imagine that is without the luggage it would normally carry. While Dave and I never officially raced while on our trip to Newfoundland we did have a few spirited runs through the rpm range. Redbone was loaded down with saddlebags/ topcase/ 80l drybag of camping equipment but so was Dave's S10. I rode Jeff's G2 at Thunder a few years back and jumping back on Redbone it felt so much smaller/ lower.
I hope you get your Vmax steering issues ironed out and can ride, as for me we will not see the ground until late March or April as it has been snow non stop for a month and we already have 120" of snow fall on us.

Well I actually didn't do anymore than open this box I got from Mark's Performance Exhaust. I'm a little overwhelmed just looking at it but I will figure it all out. I don't know yet what the bolt hole tab on the cross over pipe is for. Any words of advice before I tear into this project would be appreciated.

Marks%20exhaust_zpsn9w2gttp.jpg

In with your spring kit should be a rubber button that goes into that hole to cushion the center stand when in up position.
I remember when I first pulled mine out of the box in 2009, they are still going strong!

Well I actually didn't do anymore than open this box I got from Mark's Performance Exhaust. I'm a little overwhelmed just looking at it but I will figure it all out. I don't know yet what the bolt hole tab on the cross over pipe is for. Any words of advice before I tear into this project would be appreciated.

Marks%20exhaust_zpsn9w2gttp.jpg
You will figure it out, only goes one way.

Do not tighten any of the mounting bolts until you have all the pipes fitted together. All the connections should fit together in-line with one another. You can wait to fit the springs on after you get the bolts snugged up and before final torqueing. No need for any sealant but make sure you put new gaskets (factory) unless your gaskets are in pristine shape.

Do not tighten any of the mounting bolts until you have all the pipes fitted together. All the connections should fit together in-line with one another. You can wait to fit the springs on after you get the bolts snugged up and before final torqueing. No need for any sealant but make sure you put new gaskets (factory) unless your gaskets are in pristine shape.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if I needed to add an sealer. Is there a torque spec for the mounting bolts or just use the good n tight method? My bike only has a little over 2000 miles on it but it has after market exhaust so I know the gaskets have been off at least once so I probably will take your advice and replace. I did some searching and found two different exhaust gaskets one was a flat copper looking piece and the other was more like a collar. Is this the one I need? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PCS-OEM-Y...ash=item3f71b51850:g:C7YAAOSwRgJXkXfY&vxp=mtr

In with your spring kit should be a rubber button that goes into that hole to cushion the center stand when in up position.
I remember when I first pulled mine out of the box in 2009, they are still going strong!
I didn't get a rubber bumper with mine. I had to use the OEM one and fit it on the Mark's pipes.

Shortly after, I just removed the center stand cause it sticks out like a sore thumb with the new pipes

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back