What is a fair price for my VMAX

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21Turner

Reaction score
Hello guys, I have my VMAX listed on here. What would be a fair price for my bike? It is a 1994 with 11,000 miles on it. Very good condition, all stock with the exception of a K&N filter. Has the factory back rest as well as the stock back peice. Just had the carbs and jets gone through and set up at the Yamaha shop. Comes with cover,charger,Shoei full face helmet and tour master riding jacket that is like new.
What is a fair asking price??

The bike market is not that great right now & your not gonna get much more for it woth the accessories. I suggest putting the stock grabrailback on & selling the backrest & all the other stuff seperately.

Agree. I just sold a 94 about 3 months ago for $3000 that had a few chromed items, kerker header, and out jet kit. Bike ran great and turned 11.05's regularly! I agree with Kyle to put the stock grabrail back on (most like the looks of that better anyway). Ask $3500 or so and have the backrest available separately to any potential buyer (or tell them you'll throw in the backrest at the asking price).

Sean

I was gonna say ask $3500, go down from there......I gave $5200 for a "99 in "04 with 9800 miles on it in pristine stock condition...The market's brutal on these things...

That factory back rest is worth $250-$350 to someone who really wants it bad enough...Like others said..DO sell it separate or keep it separate and use it to bargain with....

I think in the end you will be glad to get something >$2.4K. With the economy the way it is it is a buyer's market. People who want $$ are not going to sell. Not what you hoped to hear, but how many 'offers' have you even got? I think you are going to have to price it well-below $3K just to get any responses. Sorry. Sell your other stuff separately as the others have said & put it back stock.

You are bound to get more pleasure out of using it than you would out of the $ you can get these days. Of course, if it is about paying bills and surviving hard times economically, I hope you can sell it to someone who is willing to pay a fair price considering its 'gentile' use and low mi.

I have my '93 listed on Craigslist for $2995 and all I'm getting are offers to trade junk cars or '72 ironhead Sportsters.

Market is down fellas, plus it's a bad time of year. If you REALLY want to sell it, list it for 2900 and be ready to negotiate down to 2500. Hold onto it until spring and 3K is very reasonable.

i have my 95 on craigslist in Fort Lauderdale, FL for $2500 and have not got any solid offers. .....

"wichdoctor," hi Mike. I have been talking-up your bike to the members, as I told you I would, and isn't it a shame that such a good deal isn't able to develop any interest? I don't think some people understand how bad the market actually is. I've had an Accord for sale for awhile and it's priced lower than your asking-price (it's a '95), everything works, it looks good & has BBS wheels but I have yet to generate one cash offer after advertising it.

South FL is usually awash in money but right now people don't appear to be spending it! They seem only to be spending when they absolutely have to. I bet the Ft. Lauderdale International Boat Show is going to be a big disappointment. It's going on right now and people come from all over the world to attend, this year they have five 200+ ft. yachts for sale, everything down to 8 ft. inflatables, parts and service.

If I wasn't so-far into my own bike repairs $, I would have parted mine out and bought yours, I'd be ahead of the game. PM me if you want to consider the parts deal I proposed.

"bat-shit" crazy market... Put up my 98' loaded with extras, & super clean for $3800 and was gettin' calls for trades of Xbox, PS"2"s, not even the new ps3, & wantin' to cut my grass for 2 yrs... Best cash offer I got was $2000. I sold my 86' three yrs. ago w/ , no shit, 56,000 mi. for $2,800.00.
Just put them away for the winter. Ran some Seafoam through em on a brisk Ohio ride, and said to myself, even at $3800, it's irreplaceable. I'll keep it... (and cut my own grass!)

I sold my '86 (47k miles) for $2500 just a few months ago - was it late last year? Also sold most of the accessories separately as no-one would give any extra cash for them on the bike. So the slip-ons, windshield, Fatmax bags, etc went separate and brought the selling price back to 'nice' :)

Then I just bought a 2000 in amazing condition (about 25k on the clock) for $4000.

It's not worth it... 5 years ago I bought a 1981 Honda CB750K in pristine condition with 5,000 on the clock for $3000 and I flipped it for $2900 after about 2 years. If the miles are low and you can't get anything over 3200, I say don't sell it unless you're in desperate need of the money.

I agree with F-M.....if you have to sell, be prepared to get hosed on the price. Realistically you're looking at a $2000-$2500 bike, at best.

In the spring you might do a bit better. I tried selling my '97, great shape, needed nothing, loads of extras, 15k miles for $3500 this summer(peak season) and didn't even get a nibbble of interest. As others said, a few lowball offers(sub 2k), a few offers for shitbox cars, and of course the one redneck who wants to trade me the entire contents of his house for my bike.

Extras don't add much to a bike's value in general. To the right buyer an exhaust(sounds good) might make them cough up a bit more. "Sounds cool" seems to be a major factor in bike shopping, might as well play up to it. I sold my Yamaha sled based on how nasty it sounded with the Bender pipe(and a blown exhaust donut....lol)....the guy almost shot his wad when I started it. Deal was sealed on the spot....full asking price in hand.

"Ra," funny how a loud exhaust will convince someone! Like listening to stereo speakers, the consumer will gravitate to the one which is louder even if it's inferior, a trick the stereo salesmen use to push the stuff they want to move-turn up the volume a bit when switching from one to the other, and watch them choose the louder one more often than not.

The market is not "for" the seller now, and it doesn't look to change for bikes now that winter is around the corner. As for FL, we have been hammered w/torrential rains in the SE coastal area for the last few days, and it is supposed to continue for several days more, the golf course at the end of the block has more water hazards than fairways because of the standing rainfall accumulated as groundwater. Not very good for biking unless you have an enduro.

You guys all make perfect sense to me. I bought early this year for $3600 so myabe I paid a little too much then. I will keep the bike and keep smiling whenever I ride it!!

:th_flipthebird: for what these "pickers" wanna gimme, I'll park my new tractor, tie a rope between the Vmax & a push mower, and have a few achers mowed in no time. AND have fun doin it... :biglaugh::biglaugh: don't know what the hell I was thinkin' anyway. The wife said I'd be whining b4 it left the drive if I did sell it... (she's usually right).

Back