what needs to be done to get 1500 vmax engine

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptnov

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it expensive to get the 1200cc vmax engine converted to 1500cc? Or basically a just a change of pistons? Does 1500 pistons fit the stock cylinders?

Is there anything else to consider if your thinking about converting 1200cc to 1500cc?

Thanks!

Tons of work & very expensive if done right. 1500 pistons will not fit in stock cylinders the case has to be sleeved & also the 1500 runs a longer connecting rod. There is nothing about it cheap.

What kind of power and torque increase is expected with the 300 cc increase?

Hi,

Is it expensive to get the 1200cc vmax engine converted to 1500cc? Or basically a just a change of pistons? Does 1500 pistons fit the stock cylinders?

Is there anything else to consider if your thinking about converting 1200cc to 1500cc?

Thanks!

Expensive is a direct relationship to the size of your wallet. 1500 pistons do not fit stock cyl. See answer # 1 + if you haven't done it before , get a pro & see answer # 1

Pull sleeves, bore cases, fit new sleeves, bore new sleeves, buy new pistons.
Lots more to it than that of course, and its very expensive.

A "bore only" 1500 I think can use stock connecting rod length. The two PCW 1500 Tourmaster I've seen had the original stock connecting rods.

You can also bore less and do a stroker crank setup and end up with a torque monster. Mines a stroked and bored 1540 and am very pleased with it

Sean Morely is who you really need to talk to on this tho'

On a 1500 headwork is also needed to open the chamber up for the bigger cylinder...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Pull sleeves, bore cases, fit new sleeves, bore new sleeves, buy new pistons.
Lots more to it than that of course, and its very expensive.

A "bore only" 1500 I think can use stock connecting rod length. The two PCW 1500 Tourmaster I've seen had the original stock connecting rods.

You can also bore less and do a stroker crank setup and end up with a torque monster. Mines a stroked and bored 1540 and am very pleased with it

Sean Morely is who you really need to talk to on this tho'
Guess I should have worded it diffrent it can be done with a couple of ways depending on the setup you want. It can be done with stock length or the other way around.

I had Pcw racing do mine and i sent him my perfectly fine 1200 stock motor and had John build me a 1500 tourmaster, months later i picked it up he installed it dyno tuned it. pulled 167rwhp and 111 on torque, motor installed was 6800 and the flatside carbs were another 2000 , I do regret not going chain drive. JIM

Well, he can buy my chaindrive 1500 longrod setup and I'll even include the big body fuel injection setup for $10K. Engine needs gaskets/seals and general cosmentic pretty work but that's a steal for a VERY strong engine.

there's a guy telling me i only need new pistons and skirts, if i get custom 1500 pistons. But then i won't get the same amount of power as if i do the whole thing, with rods etc.

Does this really work?

Thanks for greate answers!

I simply cannot imagine what it'd be like to have that kind of power at your wrist. I love the fact that I'm constantly thinking about my lady Max when I'm not on her, but some of you guys must be connected by an imbilical cord!!
$5G (to start) for parts.. $? G for hours and hours of work.. Holy smokes!! I tip my hat to you guys!! Time to brush my teeth, start her up and wake my neighbors.. It's 0 C and dry pavement although it's called for a little snow all week. Canada.. Sheesh..

The power is created from the pistons (size and compression), heads (porting), and cams (lift/duration). The rods make no real difference for that. BUT, the better rods give a longer life by being more durable. The stock rods will handle a low compression big bore just fine (Like PCW's tourmaster).

The bore on the stock engine is 76mm. The 1500 bore is 85mm. So, the new pistons are bigger then the stock sleeves. So, you have to take out the old sleeves, bore the bare block, install the new sleeves (and get them seated well) and then rebore the new sleeve to size. Also, either cutting the sleeve length or notching the sleeve for clearance of the rods.

The 1500 bore will work much better if you open the chambers of the heads up.

Back