What stage are my carbs?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnaVMax

Reaction score
Hey guys... When lankee listed that bike on craigs he said that it had stage 4 jetting. But i've looked around and from what i've seen there is only a 1,2,3, and 7... Is that right?

How can i tell what is currently done to my carbs?

I'm betting it's same as stage 7 except it's a modified air box like Morley runs. Stage 2 and 3 really didn't exist for the Vmax.

airbox just has 4 smaller individual air filters mounted on the carbs. I'll try and upload a picture.

airbox just has 4 smaller individual air filters mounted on the carbs. I'll try and upload a picture.

is there a huge hose coming out of the oil fill port and going to the crankcase breather? at least i think it's the crankcase breather that the stage 7 would entail--in any case if there's 4 individual filters on the carbs instead of the airbox and if there's a huge hose (prolly silver/chrome) coming out of the oil filler, then I'd be willing to bet Stage 7 without the benefit of pics.

Picture of airbox.

Attachments

• IMG_5986.jpg
    IMG_5986.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 74
is there a huge hose coming out of the oil fill port and going to the crankcase breather? at least i think it's the crankcase breather that the stage 7 would entail--in any case if there's 4 individual filters on the carbs instead of the airbox and if there's a huge hose (prolly silver/chrome) coming out of the oil filler, then I'd be willing to bet Stage 7 without the benefit of pics.

Yes it does have the breather hose... It runs into that PVC pipe in the airbox... Ghetto as shit but it works i guess. I'm gonna try and find something that is a little less of a sore on the eye's.

Hey guys... When lankee listed that bike on craigs he said that it had stage 4 jetting. But i've looked around and from what i've seen there is only a 1,2,3, and 7... Is that right?

Yankee would have said Stage 4 ( laughingly ) , if you asked about it he would have told you 7 & grinned. 4 would have been for the novices , and he would be pulling their chain. IMHO :rofl_200:

Those aren't the K&N filters typically sold with a stage 7,

Yea just regular pods....probably saved himself $125 or more.
You can get rid of the ghetto box by putting a small breathing filter on top of both crankcase hoses......a lot of the guys that run stacks do just that...just gets a little messy everynow and then since the fumes have nowhere to go.

Im using the same but i have a condenser box (like a plenum) that connects to 2 of the filters and a drain to the block...

18032011343.jpg

18032011348.jpg

What he did was make his own version of a Stage 7, using stage one parts (needles) then making his own puke tank and adding air correctors and pod filters. I think it still has the stock springs, he just tied them off. I remember a thread a while back, he didn't think there was a difference between stg 1 and stg 7 needles at the time, thats why he was running the stg 1 needles.

Stock, are pretty thick. Stg 1 are a little more aggressive, Stg 7 are even more aggressive.

Hey guys... When lankee listed that bike on craigs he said that it had stage 4 jetting. But i've looked around and from what i've seen there is only a

What he did was make his own version of a Stage 7, using stage one parts (needles) then making his own puke tank and adding air correctors and pod filters. I think it still has the stock springs, he just tied them off. I remember a thread a while back, he didn't think there was a difference between stg 1 and stg 7 needles at the time, thats why he was running the stg 1 needles.

Stock, are pretty thick. Stg 1 are a little more aggressive, Stg 7 are even more aggressive.

There is a nice pic with a sticky in the carb section.

Didn't find the pic yet... This guy is just full of shit from all different angles! On here he said his bike was a 99. Yet he had it listed as a 98 when he sold it. And he took to many damn shortcuts. If your gonna do something do it right!

Didn't find the pic yet... This guy is just full of shit from all different angles! On here he said his bike was a 99. Yet he had it listed as a 98 when he sold it. And he took to many damn shortcuts. If your gonna do something do it right!

He did have a habit of stretching things to the limit. Some time when you have a chance, and a bit of time, search around for the posts about his swingarm adventures! Lankee did have a habit of finding the path of least resistance, for right or wrong, when doing things to his bike.

He did have a habit of stretching things to the limit. Some time when you have a chance, and a bit of time, search around for the posts about his swingarm adventures! Lankee did have a habit of finding the path of least resistance, for right or wrong, when doing things to his bike.

Yeah i've noticed :damn angry: ... Oh well! I'm getting that taken care of right now. The swingarm on it now is good, but it is getting notched and braced by my friend. The motor is my biggest concern right now. The "ticking noise" he said it had in the add is more of a loud knocking noise :bang head:

Yeah i've noticed :damn angry: ... Oh well! I'm getting that taken care of right now. The swingarm on it now is good, but it is getting notched and braced by my friend. The motor is my biggest concern right now. The "ticking noise" he said it had in the add is more of a loud knocking noise :bang head:

Not too sure of your budget, but this would be the time to have the engine rebuilt. There are a couple of very good Vmax engine builders out there, Sean Morley and PCW Racing, that would build you a badass engine. Surprisingly a good buildup can be done for a reasonable cost. Without knowing how good a job Lankee did as far as taking care of the engine you might be better off just getting it looked at by a pro.

Not too sure of your budget, but this would be the time to have the engine rebuilt. There are a couple of very good Vmax engine builders out there, Sean Morley and PCW Racing, that would build you a badass engine. Surprisingly a good buildup can be done for a reasonable cost. Without knowing how good a job Lankee did as far as taking care of the engine you might be better off just getting it looked at by a pro.

Yeah my buddy is going to see if he can't do it himself. While he hasn't worked with these motors before he does know a lot about bikes and what not.

My build is going to stay at or around $3000 total. I have a ton of extra parts i need to get sold, plus a 1998, 2004, and the 1985 motor that is currently in the bike.

I contacted Sean Morley about it but he is away and just gave me some spreadsheet that really doesn't make much since to me. If i were to trade in all three motors as cores what do you think i can get a running motor for?

Back