What would you put into a "3rd Generation" VMax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Different style bikes for different moods. The M109R is a cruiser. The Goldwing is my winter ride, and the VMax is my Adrenaline pumper!

Makes sense.........You can cruise on the Gen2. It requires a TREMEDOUS amount of self control though. :biglaugh:

Makes sense.........You can cruise on the Gen2. It requires a TREMEDOUS amount of self control though. :biglaugh:

A BIG +1 ^ :biglaugh: that's the toughest part of owning a Gen 2....Oh, and having your tire supplier on speed dial, LOL!

Fuel injection, lighter weight ~500 lbs, ABS, G2 style rear suspension, USD frontend, radials, ~200 mile range, and ~200 hp, LED signals/ tail/ brake light, and a modern head light. Of course keep the Vmax sound and looks.

I have rode quite a few of them and love them they are still big & weigh a lot but they handle great ! For me myself I would like to see more fuel range since I seem to like to go a bit. I like the way they run but I would like to see them King of the street once again like they were in 85. Don't get me wrong but I don't think the Gen 2 lives up to the 85 legend. It is a whole different ball game now.

The same thing they should have put into the 2nd gen.
Chain drive, less weight, and less cruiser and more street fighteresque styling.

#1 - loose 85 kilos which even if power output stayed the same it would immediately improve performance and fuel consumption.

Adopt fly-by-wire throttle-less induction such as Alfa Romeo's Multi-air system (I'm sure there are other examples as well) to aid performance, low speed drivability, emissions and reduce fuel consumption.

Minimum range of 150+ miles.

Selectable power modes

Automatic gear shifting for when you just want to cruise plus a manual change facility with two stag rev limiter for those times that you want a somewhat brisk getaway or just want to play.

Active suspension (manual adjustment is soooo last year!) with selectable modes.

Traction control (not all of us are riding gods).

The latest ABS that also works when leant over (see comment above) and linked brakes operated by one lever - it works on a car so why do we need two actuators on a bike?

Adjustable foot pegs so all sizes can get comfy (the auto/ button shift and linked brake mean that you don't need to worry about foot to pedal relationships)

I'd also like a programmable dash so that I can see the information that I want to see.

And finally all at a price that normal folk can afford and not the silly money Yameringha want for the Gen II. If BMW can produce a bike such as the S1000RR HP4 with all of it's technology for around £16,600 then I see no reason why A Gen III should cost any more.

Umm, it's a popular request, ... but ... ABS and/or linked brakes would be a deal killer. My theory: I'm the Pilot and I'll handle the hows.

I've got the track time proving ... my threshold braking beats ABS 'puters every time.

I am also no fan of chain drive ... I simply suck at the maintenance and find myself replacing chains as a result. I don't race, so I don't need the horsies shaft drive robbed.

So, since y'all asked ... my number 1 request would be a ridiculously huge fuel capacity, but I would settle for a ridiculously extended range long as power to the pavement wasn't sacrificed. My number 2 request will be less popular ... I'd like an "Interstate" model ala the Valkyrie Interstate.

#1 - loose 85 kilos which even if power output stayed the same it would immediately improve performance and fuel consumption.

Adopt fly-by-wire throttle-less induction such as Alfa Romeo's Multi-air system (I'm sure there are other examples as well) to aid performance, low speed drivability, emissions and reduce fuel consumption.

Minimum range of 150+ miles.

Selectable power modes

Automatic gear shifting for when you just want to cruise plus a manual change facility with two stag rev limiter for those times that you want a somewhat brisk getaway or just want to play.

Active suspension (manual adjustment is soooo last year!) with selectable modes.

Traction control (not all of us are riding gods).

The latest ABS that also works when leant over (see comment above) and linked brakes operated by one lever - it works on a car so why do we need two actuators on a bike?

Adjustable foot pegs so all sizes can get comfy (the auto/ button shift and linked brake mean that you don't need to worry about foot to pedal relationships)

I'd also like a programmable dash so that I can see the information that I want to see.

And finally all at a price that normal folk can afford and not the silly money Yameringha want for the Gen II. If BMW can produce a bike such as the S1000RR HP4 with all of it's technology for around £16,600 then I see no reason why A Gen III should cost any more.

+1 to Steve's comments.

But as I am getting older - I would also say a new Venture model using the GenII Vmax engine - all the comfort and all the pick up and go.

Mike

Umm, it's a popular request, ... but ... ABS and/or linked brakes would be a deal killer. My theory: I'm the Pilot and I'll handle the hows.

I've got the track time proving ... my threshold braking beats ABS 'puters every time.

Unfortunately not all riders have your unquestionable talent nor are able to maximise the braking effort in the wet let alone when on some diesel.
For 99.99% of the time the human copes well, or at least survives albeit having to change underwear when they get home.
For the other 0.1% l'm happy to live with something that may save my life.

BIGGER gas tank , adjustable seat , and electronically controlled performance mode like KTM & Ducati have. Sport , stock , economy

You know the HP4 is actually quite a bit more money than the VMax here in the U.S.

The 1000RR and the 1300S are approximately the same price.

Come on....let's get real. How about an afterburner or a pair of 50 cal machine guns mounted up front like Batman's!
uploadfromtaptalk1411693159280.jpg

QUOTE=9.nub;381884]Umm, it's a popular request, ... but ... ABS and/or linked brakes would be a deal killer. My theory: I'm the Pilot and I'll handle the hows.

I am also no fan of chain drive ... I simply suck at the maintenance and find myself replacing chains as a result. I don't race, so I don't need the horsies shaft drive robbed.

So, since y'all asked ... my number 1 request would be a ridiculously huge fuel capacity, but I would settle for a ridiculously extended range long as power to the pavement wasn't sacrificed. My number 2 request will be less popular ... I'd like an "Interstate" model ala the Valkyrie Interstate.[/QUOTE]

You nailed it on the head ! I always would choose non ABS (linked is worse) and I hate chains.
Fuel/range is the ticket.

Matt

So, since y'all asked ... my number 1 request would be a ridiculously huge fuel capacity, but I would settle for a ridiculously extended range long as power to the pavement wasn't sacrificed. My number 2 request will be less popular ... I'd like an "Interstate" model ala the Valkyrie Interstate.

I agree. You and eye would get along fine.

Matt

The V-max in the 80's was a champ without an oponent. If there is a 3rd generation must be a V-4 producing 30 hp more than the second production hp beast of another company. Usd is a must . Bigger tank

The V-max in the 80's was a champ without an oponent. If there is a 3rd generation must be a V-4 producing 30 hp more than the second production hp beast of another company. Usd is a must . Bigger tank

Was the champ for about 1 year.

I don't expect Yamaha to ever get into the current super bike war with the VMax.

With the Gen 2 they developed a bike that has acceleration characteristics like nothing else out there. That's what makes it fun to ride.

I've ridden with most of current offering of fast bikes.....Busa's, 14's, HP4's. When they are unrestricted they go close to 200 MPH. You're never going to see a 200 MPH naked cruiser or "streetfighter".

I've also left a new 14R (the fastest street bike currently made) that is piped and tuned, for dead up to 170 MPH in a 2nd gear roll-on from 30 MPH. That's the VMax fun factor, all the TQ and HP that starts at 2500 rpm.

Last edited:
First lighter weight , maybe around 500 lbs. with all fluids, option 1 choice of drive shaft or chain drive, Option 2 USD front end or standard front end, Option 3 abs brakes if you want them . Hp around 230 at the wheel and a much bigger gas tank maybe an optional overdrive for the shaft drive model or an extra gear as some one mentioned . Just my .2 cents!!

Back