wheel offset

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:punk: Prez, not really, using the wrong pivot point adjusters in the wrong place does not work correctly and keep the bikes wheels in alignment. If you take your bike to a place that measures alignment in .0001 increments you will find eyeballing the rear wheel to see if it's in the center of the back fender is not a good way to check alignment. I have had a few beers today but would be glad to post pictures and documentation to show you that centering the wheel in the bike frame can not happen without a chain drive or a very expensive multi angle swingarm. Don't want to get in a pissing match, but I'm tired of people saying they can center a 6" wheel or a 200 tire in a stock or notched swingarm. Happy Sunday, Spurs

Cant agree Spur.
This will work for weight balance, not aligment ;)
190 on 5,5 is a maximum what can be centered.

I have already my v-max with vrf800 single sided swing with belt drive - hope to find some time to assemble it soon and, I have centered it corectly this time.
Anyway I want to say I have some experience here.

I don't agree that big tires in back don't handle well
I have a custom swinarm and custom wheels and my back wheel is dead center. I have an 18" rear 250 wide rear tire and a 19" front wheel and my bike handles WAY better than stock. I have a Very expensive multi angle swinarm. And it holds like fucking glue even at high speeds that I wouldn't ever attempt with a stock swingarm. Ed

From what I measured the offset of the OEM wheel is .125" to the right. We offset the 3" extended arms .250" to the left so a stock wheel is now .125" left. Then an aftermarket wheel is closer to the center or maybe slightly right. The 6" wide wheels is way right and normally not a size I suggest to go with.

With a 6" over arm we can move the offset a bit further.

Sean

For what it's worth i measured my offset one rainy day. With Carrozeria wheels and a 5.5 " rear wheel width, i came up with 1/4" to the right side of the bike. A 180/55x18 tire fits perfectly. I found the centerline of both wheels using a tall straight edge and drawing lines on the floor. Took about an hour.
Sometimes you just have to pee on the electric fence yourself!:bang head:

I don't agree that big tires in back don't handle well
I have a custom swinarm and custom wheels and my back wheel is dead center. I have an 18" rear 250 wide rear tire and a 19" front wheel and my bike handles WAY better than stock. I have a Very expensive multi angle swinarm. And it holds like fucking glue even at high speeds that I wouldn't ever attempt with a stock swingarm. Ed

:punk: Hey, That's what I'm trying to say' Thanks, Spurs

From what I measured the offset of the OEM wheel is .125" to the right. We offset the 3" extended arms .250" to the left so a stock wheel is now .125" left. Then an aftermarket wheel is closer to the center or maybe slightly right. The 6" wide wheels is way right and normally not a size I suggest to go with.

With a 6" over arm we can move the offset a bit further.

Sean

Sean
Was just reading this and had a question. Is the kosman wheel I purchased off you a 6 inch? Is this going to affect my handling any? I had a bad wobble the other night that I have never had before, but figured it might be my head bearings or balance of the tires.

43ae8afb-13f2-b94d.jpg
Kosman 18"x6" wheel with a 200/50-18 Shinko Verge and that's as big as would fit modifying the stock arm.. I actually had to offset my wheel .25" to the right but it lines up perfectly astatically which is all I really cared about but it handles soooo much better than it did before but I braced the swingarm and stretched it 3" and went to solid mounts on the engine with the radial tires so I did alot to make it handle...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I got the solid mounts .. Think it must be a balance issue or head bearings... Gonna check.that out after i get back.from vacation. My tire is slightly to the right more than that shinko tho... Might be the alignment of swingarm.. Ill check that too.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk 2

3/8" - 1/2" offset. I wish mine was there.

2 pictures attached. 1st is stock Venture, 2nd is mine with VMax wheel & final drive.

Nice thing is it will track straight down the road, just looks like crap.

Gary

Attachments

• 83 rear wheel offset.JPG
    83 rear wheel offset.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1691.JPG
    IMG_1691.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 36
I believe the Kosman I sold was a 5.5" if I remember correctly.

Sean

Ah ok so i should be able to go to a 190 or 180 then after.i wear out this one lol. definitely gonna go notched n braced swingarm tho.

my swingarm is notched and with the washer swap i have 2 pieces of paper clearance with a 190 on my kosman, fyi.

Must be a different offset cause with the 200 on there even without the washer swap i got just a mild rubbing.

Maybe gamorg02 has 18" rim not 17"? Generally I thought a 190 on a 17" rim will clear a notched swingarm w/o washer swap but not so much with a 18" rim.

nope i have a 190. on a 17" rim with a morley notched s/a.

I cannot believe yamaha would produce a bike with the wheels out of alignment...
Surely this is either bs or they have lousy engineers....

I cannot believe yamaha would produce a bike with the wheels out of alignment...
Surely this is either bs or they have lousy engineers....

:punk: Well they only did it for 20+ years and created a large market for aftermarket people to make parts that may or may not fix threir problems. Ha Ha! These bikes are quick from stop light to stop light and sound great, that's it. If you want to turn or have a big rear wheel you can buy another bike cheaper that modify these. Good Luck, Spurs

Actually wheels out of alignment is not that rare. Especially with shaft drive bikes...

Last edited:
I'm thinking I could shim this bolt together wheel 5+ mm to the left at the hub,and mill some meat off the other side if I wanted to correct offset some. that's if it has offset. It tracts very straight and turns either way the same. I'll measure it sometime when I'm not riding. I also think this hub could mate to different wheels. It's the best mod so far for me. I used the 85 to try to match the front, but wouldn't mind a matched front if I could find one.
Steve-o

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Back