Where do you work on your bike?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAX NV

Reaction score
I see everyone's pictures of your bikes in your nice garages with your big, red, tool boxes and think how awesome it would be to have a dry, lit and even heated place to wrench.

I just have a cold, windy, carport with northwest weather and light and it's a PITA sometimes to have to bundle up just to work on the bike.

But I know some of you probably live in an apartment or somewhere with not even a covered reserved parking spot or just street parking, so I guess I'm not the worst off.

That's all.:clapping:

Trevor aka VMAX NV aka THE NOOB WRENCHER

Ha, that red toolbox/garage ain't mine. It's my buddies work garage. I work in an unheated garage with a small red tool box lol.

I work in my garage. but, my red toolbox is only a medium sized.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 49
We have a detached 3 car garage where the Vmax sleeps in the winter...it shares that space with both the parent's cars, a boat, a jetski, a snowmobile, a quad, a lawn tractor, a snowblower and a corner full of various lawn tools and stuff. Enclosed, but cramped and unheated. During the summer up in Schroon, I get a 1 car(as in if it was totally empty, you could just fit maybe a Civic in it) garage, but all it houses are the Vmax, my minibike, and a couple bicycles. My truck wouldn't fit in there anyway so it sits in the driveway and the bikes go inside.

No big fancy toolbox for me...pretty much just basic hand tools, and a drill and dremel tool.

I do have a friend that has "a nice garage with a big red tool box" that's well lit, well equipped, has a giant air tank, a MIG, is heated, and has every tool/convenience you can think of.

I don't really have to work on the vmax very often, and basic hand tools are really all you need for probably 90% of common jobs. When one of the 10% come up, I go to my bud's house and use all his stuff. It all works out, I'm not complaining.

I see everyone's pictures of your bikes in your nice garages with your big, red, tool boxes and think how awesome it would be to have a dry, lit and even heated place to wrench.

I just have a cold, windy, carport with northwest weather and light and it's a PITA sometimes to have to bundle up just to work on the bike.

But I know some of you probably live in an apartment or somewhere with not even a covered reserved parking spot or just street parking, so I guess I'm not the worst off.

That's all.:clapping:

Trevor aka VMAX NV aka THE NOOB WRENCHER

I used have a 12 x 20' tin shed that was un insulated and i normally would not do much work in the winter. Due to the fact the propane heater would make me gag from the fumes! Now I have a garage but never am home to use it :bang head:. I just have to say one thing..... Those big red tool boxes! it takes years of collecting tools to get one full. Unless you went down to the store and went into debt up to your eyeballs. Most of the people I know....... you look in those big tool boxes. There is only a small toolbox amount of tools in them.... All in all "keep it easy, keep it small , and keep it real":punk:

G

I use my two car garage with four vehicles licensed. The only two kept in the garage is my wifes Mercedes and the 85 Vmax which was bought new in 85. I have two full red tool boxes, even tools my father left me I still have and are useable in some cases. My side of the garage has all the tools, car cleaning stuff, bench grinder, brake disk/drum turning machine and my Vmax extra parts stored on shelves against my side of the garage wall. Heated by a small Harbor Freight eletric heater that converts into a cooling fan for summer use. Im finding out you can have too many items in your unorganized tool box because sometimes it takes me a while to find what Im looking for...............

Guilty. big red toolbox,heated garage, goodlighting,welders,grinders ,ect,ect, but it was a long time comming and doubles as the MAXGASSER factory and my sons toybox. Im hard presssed to fit a car in it anymore but can do it if I move stuff around.
I paid my dues,building trucks outside,loseing tools in the dirt driveway,oil changes in freezing weather, been there done that have the scares to prove it. all good things come with hard work and time !

My parents winter in FL so I store my bikes in their basement. It works well. I pull into the garage and then through a double door into their basement. It's dry, heated, and humidity controlled. When I work on them in the winter, I do it there. IMO the worst thing for bikes is the temperature changes in the garage in the winter. One day they're frozen solid and the next they can be dripping with moisture.

Of course in the summer they sit in my garage where I too have too much stuff crammed in.

Truck and car, chipper shredder, snow thrower, lawn mower, grill and shelves of tools and yard equipment. I wish it was insulated and heated. It may be someday, but my goal is to buy a bigger home with a 3 car and put a 4 post lift in the 3rd bay and have 3 vehicles and my bikes.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

Attachments

• IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 13
Guilty. big red toolbox,heated garage, goodlighting,welders,grinders ,ect,ect, but it was a long time comming and doubles as the MAXGASSER factory and my sons toybox. Im hard presssed to fit a car in it anymore but can do it if I move stuff around.
I paid my dues,building trucks outside,loseing tools in the dirt driveway,oil changes in freezing weather, been there done that have the scares to prove it. all good things come with hard work and time !

Gees :confused2: I was trying to be subtle! If I said what I had people would think I was rich..... with hard work, oh plus a day job, jumping on the great deals, no sleep , the drive to build your own stuff and make a extra buck when you can, keeping the spending women at bay...... Things will come trust me.. oh yeah the most important thing patience, patience, patience my friends :clapping: What I do is let the good ideas rest in my head and I refine them, sometimes for years! letting them get better , while collecting the parts to build them.

G

G

Have a 12x16 shed out back for minibike/cart and off season storage for the street bikes, have a 20x20 unheated detached garage that I use for the workshop, I use a kerosene torpedo heater for colder weather, my old toolbox tho well stocked is nothing more than a hodgepodge of assorted pieces from many years of wrenching, no high dollar stuff I don't use................Tom.

I partitioned off a 12' X 24' area inside my detached garage, insulated and heated with a 30K btu propane gas heater. I need a dryer heat source due to the moisture Chris mentioned, otherwise a nice comfy place to play on 'the toys.' My toolbox is black.....a Christmas gift from wifey, so was the lift come to think of it. :worthy:

Attachments

• 100_2145.jpg
    100_2145.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_2146.jpg
    100_2146.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 35
carport here too. bikes in it right now actually, warm enough to ride some days so she comes out. actually i have plans to enclose the carport in the next month or so, so that will help in the winter and for security reasons

during the dead of winter shes in my buddy's non-heated garage. that concrete floor got cold quick this year with all the oiling system work!

During the summer it's parked in my brother's 2 car garage (across the street) with a basic set of tools (Vmax specific) brought from my medium sized toolbox (red) in a small tool box. My brother has a small toolbox with a basic set of tools that I use.
During the winter it's kept in my brothers basement so it stays heat/ humidity regulated but just the basic needed tools to work on it.
My own garage is a few years away, looking at building a 32x32 w/ heated floor, quad lock walls (concrete in insulated forms) to start with.

It used to be my car port first, then small garage/driveway in O-town, and then back to car port in Tampa. And of course, Kyle's garage on those lucky tech days ;-)

20'X24' - Toys only heated garage built last year. Only time a car gets in there is if I need to work on it, other than that, bikes and sleds only.

Before that, a 12'X12' unheated shed - so I paid my dues over the years!

As far a Big Red Tool box, not yet, right now I have a medium size golden oldie tool chest.

Mike

Also guilty as charged. Nothing but Bikes and toys in my heated, well lit garage/shop. A couple of guys said it right, that it usually takes years to build a massive tool collection. After I got out of the US Army, I earned my Mech Eng degree while working full time as a mechanic. Now years later I have a full service garage/shop at home. Two big tool chests, hoist's, air comp, welders, etc...

However, I still remember my younger days working in the driveway next to the house with minimal tools. Not such a bad thing when you realize that it makes you get things done in a much more creative way :)

Tool boxes yes, but kept in the cellar. Nice garage? +1 on the tin shed, insulated with a space heater, small bench, and good lighting though. Only my bike is allowed in there. We're probably going to down size the house now that it's just me and the wife, but won't buy another house without a garage or barn.

My shop/garage is too small. Ask anyone who visits. I can barely move around (maybe it's big enough but too full lol)!

It is not heated unless you count the middle of the summer when it's overheated! Hopefully this next season will find a big change in that!

Sean

Latest posts

Back