where to start?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetank

Reaction score
went riding with some friends the other day (sport bikes) and had to work my ass off to keep up.
i have a 96 with progressive suspension. i know my tire situation sucks but it came with a kenda rear and a radial fron...cant remember what kind right now.
problem was that i was flat tracking (drifting). way before i drug my pegs.
i have an r1 but i want to sell it and just make my max keep up so i can give it to the wife next year and get a gen2
where do i start? frame brace? Tires? anyone tried the pirelli night dragons yet?
i was debating solid motor mounts but i am waiting till this winter when i park it for the snow.
o and has anyone put a rear set on theirs yet?

I would guess getting radials. Based on your interest in night dragons, which I think are bias plys, I'm thinking you are running stock wheels? I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

ok well yes i am running stock wheels...and no the wife wont let me buy the carrozzerias...i wish...i mean better then now...for and amount that she wont notice missing

17" wheels
+
Racetech Gold Emulators
+
Solid mounts
+
Upgrade the rear shocks

That will give you a Max that will handle pretty well, but you have to be realistic about keeping up with the sports bike brigade.

It weighs some 70 kgs or so more than one of the 1000 cc sports bikes and in all probability give away quite a few GG's as well.

If you don't mind wringing the *olloks off it all the time and are a riding god (or the sports-bike riders are rubbish) you might keep up.

Far better to accept it for what it is be the coolest dude on the street; let the other riders think they are Spies, Lorenzo et al.

it is funny cause i lead the group with my r1 or chase it with my vmax...i know i will never be that fast on it...but i atleast want to be able to keep them in sight and not have to run the crap out of it and them still have to wait.
i already have progressive suspension..what is the next step?
and until i can afford the bigger wheels which tire will work the best?

I'd go for the emulators, then the solids then the shocks then the wheels.

You will then need some flatslides, a ported head, 1300 cc (or more) bore, cams, chain drive..........

Won't be cheap but you sure as hell wiil have some fun with the arse-up brigade! LOL.

I really don't see you ever keeping up with well ridden liter Bikes in the twisties (the VMax is definitely NOT a Sport bike),
but a Frame Brace, aftermarket front Fork Brace and Sport Touring Tires should help significantly.
Most people run Cruiser tires but obviously they don't help with cornering at all, I ran the Shinko TM230 Rear and Metzeler Lasertec front and am now running a Battlaxx BT-45V Front and they are 1000 times better for running the twisties than the OEM tires or any other Cruiser type tire.
You can also raise the Forks Up 1" in the Triple Tree to lower the Front end 1" to help cornering.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back