Whiners

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainKyle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put an add out to sell my 88 & had a guy email me whining about the price I did put it a little hi. He told me Kelly blue book was 2835 & I told him I would be more than willing to take off all the extra & sell it for 2800 bone stock. Here is the description of the bike let me know if you think I am that far out of line. 88 Vmax New paint,newtires ,new clucth & brake master cylinders, Marks full stainless exaust,progresssive rear shocks lowered 1 1/2 , progressive front dual rate springs lowerd to match back, super brace fork brace, RMS sport max frame braces, relocated LED tail light , new led rear blinkers, new front blinkers, all fluids just changed ,polished aluminum clutch & brake resavoir tops, yamaha mini fly screen,new chrome clutch & brake levers, new Kureoken grips, Rms Sportmax custom cut down seat, late model updated forks & triple trees with R 1 brakes, Stage 7 carb kit with K & N filters bike has 40,000 miles. I am sure I am forgetting a few extras. 3,500 OBO

nah....screw that guy....it's your bike, your price...get what you want....and it's worth all that your asking.....

-Mike

...and besides....it's an '88.....one of the best....IMO.

nah....screw that guy....it's your bike, your price...get what you want....and it's worth all that your asking.....

-Mike

...and besides....it's an '88.....one of the best....IMO.

Exactly, the market will determine the price of the bike not some nimrod waving a piece of paper quoting numbers.

Ask what you want.

Your bike, ask what you want, but as with cars, I noticed people wont' pay extra for mods.

WoW, it's a sweet early MAX!! At that price w/ those features it's a steal!! ( provideing 2nd gear is good,ect.) Discontinue any and all future corespondence with joe knucklehead. I paid dearly for my 85 w/ low miles & in excellent condition... much more than what you are asking for your 88..& I have absolutely NO regrets...

Shorthair88............

Schitt, that's a sweet deal on your bike! Move to the next guy, or put it back to mostly stock and sell all that good stuff to us...... Good luck with the sell man.

i think its worth 3500 all day long, but does the market agree with you?

While I can appreciate the money/work/time you've put into the bike, I really doubt you'll get $3500 for it. While to a "trained eye" the bike is something special, to the average Joe Shopper it's just a 22 year old bike with a few extras. Not many people are going to put down over 3 grand for a 20+ year old bike, regardless of it's horsepower. Plus the Stage 7 kind of hurts it's "driveability", so again, to the "untrained" person they might think it's not running well.

Case in point: It took me nearly A YEAR to sell my '85 Magna V30. Bone stock, but it virtually mint condition, not a single thing wrong with it. I was asking $1250, and kept getting low-ballers offering me a grand or less. I was in no rush to sell it, and held out. Finally this spring a guy came through and put my asking price in my hand. While I realize a 500cc Magna isn't half the bike of a modded up Max, it's the same idea. You can find bikes much newer for a lot less than your asking price, so unless someone is looking specifically for a Max I don't think you'll get any serious offers for your asking price.

Like EvilD said, money into a vehicle does not equal money out. Buyers see aftermarket goodies as a nice bonus, but not something they're willing to spend extra for. When I was looking for my Vmax(I had my mind set on a Vmax at that point), I was in a toss-up between two bikes. I found one on craigslist locally for $4200, it had like 20k miles on it, a '95. Bone stock but overall good condition. Found another on eBay in Vermont for $4900, with all the extras...stage 1, holeshot slipons, aftermarket blinkers/taillight, frame braces, fork brace, R1 brakes, chromed scoops, shift light. It was a '97 with about 14k miles and in MINT condition. In that case, the newer year, less mileage, and extras convinced me to cough up another $700. If the year and mileage had been the same though, I doubt I would have gone for the bike I did. While all the accessories added to my bike are easily worth a grand, somehow as a buyer I didn't see it that way. More like I was kind of leaning toward the newer bike, and it coming with all the extras just sealed the deal.

And while KBB/NADA book values are nebulous at best, buyers often take them as holy gospel to what something's worth. You're selling an '88 Vmax, not a rocketship on wheels that'll smoke almost anything on the road. For $3500 that's a performance bargain, but that's not what the buyer sees. They see a 20 year old bike in nice shape, and KBB says it's worth $2800, so that's the absolute max they're willing to pay.

You could pull all the goodies and put it back to stock, but that's a lot of work and you're not going to get anywhere near what you spent on them back out anyway. It's your call, but I'd sell it as it.

If you're in a hurry to sell, I think you're going to have to reduce the price, or be willing to dicker a little bit. If not, just bide your time. Somebody who knows what they're looking for will come along and realize what you have isn't just a 20 year old bike.

Fu-k what the blu book says, you know what its worth, don't come down 1 cent if you arn't in desperate need for the money, just hang on you'll sell it for that price. chances are the guy thats looking will sooner are later come to his sences. ( because if he's looking he's wanting)

Well I know you cant get out near the money you put in them thats a known fact but I do not thingk 700 over blue book plus I put OBO is a bad deal. I would probably take 3100 for it but not going all the way down to 2800 & sorry RA as far as the stage 7 if there tuned right it does not hurt drivability one bit. I had 98,000 miles on my last one with stage 7 & no problems what so ever & no problems with this one either. I am not in a hurry to sellit if I do ok & if I dont ok. I just decided not to sell my CBX righ now & wanted to thin the heard a little & having 2 other Maxs figured I would drop one of them off but no biggie its paid for.

Ufortunately most times you get zip for all the extras you put on a bike. I agree most people don't take into consideration the time, money and effort that is put into a bike.

I still have my 2007 listed on here and on Ebay and if I was to add the extras on top of what it books for stock nobody would even look at it. I listed mine for $8200 on Ebay and it ends Saturday, I really don't need to sell it for the money so I will not take a penny less but it pisses me off when peple bitch about the price, some guy from Ebay had the nerve to email me and say if that was my VMAX I would sell it for $7500.

I emailed him back and explained that it wasn't his VMAX, it was mine and it wasn't selling for a penny less, hell they are getting over $2000 of extras for the book price of a stock VAMX.

I doubt it will sell so I have put my mindset back to being the owner and even if it sits while I have a few surgeries this summer I will still have a great bike next year.

Don't drop your price one red cent !!!!

Ron

I got a couple buddys around here with parts if one of them still has a stock exaust & air box reasonable I will get it & put it back on & take the frame braces & every thing else off & sell the bike bone stock & sell all the extras off & if they dont have an exaust I& air box I will just keep the bike no big deal.

LOL Those guys I send a response like "I'm not holding a gun to your head to buy it" or short and sweet... "thanks for your opinion"

Fuck them!

The price is MORE than right IMO.

Chris

I agree that 3500 is a very fair price, considering thats what I gave for my 86 with a 4 into 1 kerker and countless little age related problems:bang head:. I would have rather bought something closer to yours. I am a sucker at times and dont like to bicker about prices.

Well if some one wants it I will take 3000 firm dont have to sell it just wanting roon in the garage forgot to mentin frame braces and scoopss have been chromed but my sister in law backed into my 99 when I had the chrome scoops on it and cracked one. I have another scoop that goes with it but its not chrome the bike also has a brand new oddesy battery in it

Back