Wont start after performing ShotGun

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RagingMain

Reaction score
Hello All
Just finished performing the ShotGun cleaning, wow did a lot of crap come out. :damn angry: Anyways, cant get the bike to start after the cleaning. Mixture screws set at 2.5 turns and getting really bad blow back through the carbs. :ummm:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :thumbs up:

Cheers :cheers:

Hello All
Just finished performing the ShotGun cleaning, wow did a lot of crap come out. :damn angry: Anyways, cant get the bike to start after the cleaning. Mixture screws set at 2.5 turns and getting really bad blow back through the carbs. :ummm:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :thumbs up:

Cheers :cheers:
Maybe let it sit a while and let some of the cleaner evaporate. Are you sure you got everything back together correctly?:ummm:

I am pretty sure I got everything back together correctly. Although I am working nights right now and was working on it after I woke up this afternoon :confused2:
I am letting it sit for the night so the cleaner can evaporate.
Would it hurt to shoot a little starting fluid :ummm:

Thanks in advance
Cheers

sounds to me like the airbox boots or lid are leaking air.Sure the diaphrams are in right?

sounds to me like the airbox boots or lid are leaking air.Sure the diaphrams are in right?

I havent put on the airbox yet as I wanted to make sure it would run before zipping everything up. Could that be the cause???:confused2:

I am pretty darn sure the diaphrams are in right, took my time with it. Plus I found small holes in all my diaphrams, had to put black silicone on them to seal them up.

I will post later on wether or not it starts up, it has been sitting all night letting the cleaner evaporate.
Thanks for all the help guys
Cheers:cheers:

A stock vmax will not run without the airbox on and sealed up.Stage 7 carbs will because of the restrictors.Seal it all up and try it.Run some seafoam through a few tanks of gas too.

I havent put on the airbox yet as I wanted to make sure it would run before zipping everything up. Could that be the cause???:confused2:

I am pretty darn sure the diaphrams are in right, took my time with it. Plus I found small holes in all my diaphrams, had to put black silicone on them to seal them up.

I will post later on wether or not it starts up, it has been sitting all night letting the cleaner evaporate.
Thanks for all the help guys
Yeah... Get new rubbers M8...:thumbs up:

U motors is the cheapest place... Check out the VMF links above for all the info...

still didnt start this afternoon after buttoning everything up. At work right now, will try again tomorrow. Ordering new rubbers from University tonight. Now I have to rebuild the starter clutch as well. Sounds like a box of rocks :bang head:
Cheers

still didnt start this afternoon after buttoning everything up. At work right now, will try again tomorrow. Ordering new rubbers from University tonight. Now I have to rebuild the starter clutch as well. Sounds like a box of rocks :bang head:
Cheers

I'd replace it with a late model 4 pole starter...

I would break the carbs again and make sure all is right. I've shot the shotgun with no issues. Oh and if anyone is going to have an issue whilst working on a Vmax it's me...:bang head:

If after I am done doing it all over again :surprise:
and it still doesnt start would hitting it with starting fluid hurt anything :ummm:

You have met your match in something that can go wrong will go wrong dept :whistlin:

Thanks for all your help. Looked up U Motors and have a part ticket in with them.

If after I am done doing it all over again :surprise:
and it still doesnt start would hitting it with starting fluid hurt anything :ummm:

You have met your match in something that can go wrong will go wrong dept :whistlin:

Thanks for all your help. Looked up U Motors and have a part ticket in with them.

A little ether wont kill it... Don't keep it running on it though...

You say that it won't start after shotgun cleaning - before taking carb bank off again, try taking a plug off and checking for spark, carbs may not be the problem. Start with the small fixes/checks first, than if need be than go to bigger fixes, ie: carb bank.

Good luck

You say that it won't start after shotgun cleaning - before taking carb bank off again, try taking a plug off and checking for spark, carbs may not be the problem. Start with the small fixes/checks first, than if need be than go to bigger fixes, ie: carb bank.

Good luck

Thanks will do, still wont start even with starting fluid. Thanks to everyone for helping

Ok, just finished checking spark, plugs needed replaced but have plenty of spark

Almost acts like it isnt timed correctly. The Max is auto timed correct??? :ummm: Will read up the tech manual tonight at work

Ordered the Diaphragm assemblies from U-Motors, cheapest around but still pricey.

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated

After trying to start the bike, without spraying anything down the carbs, are the plugs wet or dry?

If dry, try loosening the carb drain bolts and see if any gas is coming out of the drain hoses. (is the fuel pump working?)

If wet, than it's spark/electrical related. What year is the bike? Newer ones are electronic ignition and therefore it cannot be timed with a timing light, etc...

To back up a bit, how or was the bike running before you did the shotgun fix? simply doing the shotgun fix to a running bike won't hurt the engine.

After trying to start the bike, without spraying anything down the carbs, are the plugs wet or dry?

If dry, try loosening the carb drain bolts and see if any gas is coming out of the drain hoses. (is the fuel pump working?)

If wet, than it's spark/electrical related. What year is the bike? Newer ones are electronic ignition and therefore it cannot be timed with a timing light, etc...

To back up a bit, how or was the bike running before you did the shotgun fix? simply doing the shotgun fix to a running bike won't hurt the engine.

Thanks for the trouble shooting guide. Will do it tomorrow, got called into work again tonight.

The old plugs were wet when I pulled them and when I first turned the key after putting everything together I could hear the fuel pump pumping. I will check the new plugs and the drains tomorrow.

As far as how the bike was running before, well it was running like shit at idle, only run with the choke on and then hesitantly. After it got up over 3k it would run fine, highway speeds it was great, slow down to get off the highway and sputter sputter. Had to keep it choked while sitting at lights to keep it from stalling. After reading up on here I decided to shotgun it. Did the shotgun, put everything back together, hope correctly, and then it wouldnt start.

Like I said I need to rebuild the starter clutch, I think it might not be turning over the engine fast enough to get it going.

I agree that shotgunning shouldnt keep the bike from running. I am glad I did it. I bought the bike used and it has been running great for 3k miles so far and it was time to start diving in anyway. Took a lot of cleaner to get the jets to run clear plus I found my diaphragms with holes.

Thanks for the help again. WIll keep all updated
Cheers

I don't know if you have a factory manual or not, if not go to http//vmaxoutlaw.com/main.html ad they have the complete shop manual under the tech section

Alot of trouble shooting info under the electrical section.

I don't know if you have a factory manual or not, if not go to http//vmaxoutlaw.com/main.html ad they have the complete shop manual under the tech section

Alot of trouble shooting info under the electrical section.

One more easy check since the diaphram slide boots are in poor condition, with the airbox off, stick your finger through the top opening of carb and push on them, are they moving freely? These slides can stick, if they are stuck open, this will immediately flood the motor and it wont start. If this is the case, take them out and spray WD40 on slide tubes than reinstall them. For the holes in the diaphrams, instead of using silicone, as 4gasem said won't hold up to gasoline, try using kleenex and super glue. put glue around the hole, place a small piece of kleenex and glue on top - should work until you get new diaphrams.

One more easy check since the diaphram slide boots are in poor condition, with the airbox off, stick your finger through the top opening of carb and push on them, are they moving freely? These slides can stick, if they are stuck open, this will immediately flood the motor and it wont start. If this is the case, take them out and spray WD40 on slide tubes than reinstall them. For the holes in the diaphrams, instead of using silicone, as 4gasem said won't hold up to gasoline, try using kleenex and super glue. put glue around the hole, place a small piece of kleenex and glue on top - should work until you get new diaphrams.

I did use wd-40 when reinstalling them but will check for movement when I dive back in. Also it wasnt silicone per say it was high performace black RTV made specifically for oils and gas. Did a very very light coat, maybe it is too stiff not allowing the slides to move.
Once again I cant say how much I appreciate all the help, this site f**cking rocks :thumbs up:
cheers

Latest posts

Back