100kmph (60mph) Windy!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostntheshell

Reaction score
Found out today that riding over 100kmph with no windshield is a pummeling!
Thinking about maybe picking up the smallest wind deflector I can find. I have *never* been a fan of the full windshield - and to be honest, I am not very excited to put ANY windshield on her.

You should try 90 miles @ 85mph (135 km/h)..

Suddenly you would find a full size windshield much more attractive! :biglaugh:

The smallest there is for the Max is the Yamaha OEM flyscreen - it's very small but still does a great job at deflecting enough blast to make it a little more comfy and less hard on those neck muscles..

It's usually the gear you're wearing that causes the issue IMO. When I wear my tight jacket I don't notice it at all. When I wear my cold weather loose fitting jacket I feel it in the shoulders.

Good thing I ride in the warm weather 99.9% of the time.

I don't do windshields. I sit up and take it like a man. Of course I DO NOT tour on it either.

Chris

Never been a fan of the windshield either , mine came with the OEM small windscreen but put it back on when i had the sissybar on . Now that the sissybars off i never got round to taking it off , but then again i do ride it .
I personnally think the Vmax handles the wind pretty well , apart from the other day when i picked it back up and had it on the sidestand it was trying to go over again . Considering ive ridden round that area plenty in the wind :bang head:

That's insane.

What if you get hit by a stone? A bee? Or heaven forbid - wipe out. No helmet?

I ride everywhere without a windshield, tours at highway speeds of 85-90, never bothered me. If I want a freaking windshield I will be in a car :punk:

Guess I got big ole neck muscles :eusa_dance:
Cheers

Ghost, IMO, I'd invest in great gear before adding any comfort items to fit on the bike. Minimum gear should be quality FF helmet(for max protection) armored jacket(leather or ballistic), armored gloves, boots that will protect your feet/ ankles. Riding pants should be included too b/c jeans will protect you for about 12" when sliding across asphalt at 50 mph. This is a good time of year to look for sales/ closeouts.
Once you have all your riding gear then look for a quality windshield.

This is a good time of year to look for sales/ closeouts.

The best time is actually December/January. In all the stealerships I know, they do sales in December, then really go all out to get all the old stock out in January. Got both my helmets and my jacket at 50% off that way :clapping:

+1 on waiting until January/February for deals. I have the Givi mini screen and it does a great job of "breaking wind":rofl_200:. It stands a little taller than the OEM but doesn't look as bulky due to the SS frame. Seriously it keeps the wind off your chest. I do agree, a snug leather jacket and you don't feel any wind.

Attachments

• IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    116.3 KB
  • IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    98.9 KB
i like the looks and functiionality of a flyscreen. can't bring myself to put a legit windshield on it. done 200-300 miles at a time, 900 over a couple days and its good enough to just keep the wind off my chest.

I like that Gavi. Very nice!

I also have all my gear:

1.) Great full helm.
2.) Leather Jacket (thick) with armor in the back, elbows.
3.) Armored full gauntlets.
4.) Ballistic pants (armored too) - currently on back order.
5.) Full leather boots (4 inches over ankle).

Excellant gear list Ghost! I run the givi too and like the protection it provides. I have done several weekend runs over 1000 miles, in the rain too. The wind typically hits my faceshield at mid shield and my shoulder are in the wind too. I haven't noticed wind fatigue as a problem and I typically run 80 + mph on the super slab.
I purchased mine from Twisted Throttle for around $120. It's called the Givi Airstars (Givi A123).

speak of the devil. I just saw "redbone" after a burnout video in the exhaust section :)

Yeah. I am very safety oriented. I have made it my mantra and stick by "all gear all the time".
My very 1st ride - EVER - some idiot ran his stop sign at a T-section, and sped right onto the road in front of me.

It's not me I'm worried about - it's everyone else :)
Oh - thanks for that link! I'm checking it out now!

i used to have major wind issues on my HD sportster above 65.... feel like a parachute above 80
With the vmax and that tiny tinted windshield i feel right at home at 90...... mph

Latest posts

Back