• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Motorycle For Sale 1985 (1st year #444) Vmax For Sale New Pics/Video Link Price Drop $4000.00

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frankly, I think you'll be lucky to get 4,000 for it.

I figured you'd pipe up when my MIL told me to drop the price,

I've seen it drop several times and said nothing. I only mention it now because I told you exactly where you'd wind and that your price was completely unrealistic and you got completely bent out of shape and acted like a complete asshole.

I've seen it drop several times and said nothing. I only mention it now because I told you exactly where you'd wind and that your price was completely unrealistic and you got completely bent out of shape and acted like a complete asshole.
1718670982717.png
Sir, this is a Wendy's.

We need to not be acting like this. It's time to stop the behavior. This member is trying to help his widowed mother-in-law. If it continues, a suspension of member privileges will happen to any offending member.

I figured you'd pipe up when my MIL told me to drop the price, but thought you might have a little more class. Good to know my judgement on people is still spot on.

Honestly, if this is what you get off on.
Maybe just maybe get a life before you run out of days.

This thread that you've decided to be a douche bag on was created to help a dying man sell the motorcycle that he loved and took good care of for 40 years.

You thought the price was to high, instead of DMing me, you had to be king dingaling and do your thing on the for sale thread.

Truthfully, you are the only person on earth that cares at all about your opinions. Everyone else gives zero fucks about what you think.

As the they say in Philly go pound sand.

Good assessment. I joined a few years ago and it wasn't long before I came to the same conclusion. Always knocking posts or people or things. Probably in his 40's or early 50's. Eventually most of those guys learn how to get along.

We need to not be acting like this. It's time to stop the behavior. This member is trying to help his widowed mother-in-law. If it continues, a suspension of member privileges will happen to any offending member.
Thank you ! Sorry to be an offender but that kind of behavior is unacceptable.

Sorry for your loss. Perhaps you could try eBay to find a home for it. Good luck.
Thank you for the kind words and good ideas, lot of great people on here that have my respect for helping others and general all around good attitudes. I'm going to post it on a few public markets, ebay and facebook market place maybe some others.

You might try to swing for the fences with Bring a Trailer, since the bike is largely original. If they accept it, you're likely to get a higher price. The mileage may reduce the likelihood of acceptance by BaT; they're really persnickety. eBay may be a better fit, and you can still reach a national audience with it.

There's a bit to be said about the Dark Amethyst color. Mine attracts a fair amount of attention both in person and online. Recently, I took it to Thunder Beach with its 60,000 bikes, and seemed to turn many heads. Stands to reason; in a sea of custom baggers, suddenly an '85 VMax shows up, and folks are caught off guard. I heard more than one fella say "that's a Yamaha" or "that's a VMax", presumably in response to someone asking, "what is that?" I think the color contributes to that, since most folks expect to see Deep Garnet, yellow, black or carbon fiber.

You might try to swing for the fences with Bring a Trailer, since the bike is largely original. If they accept it, you're likely to get a higher price. The mileage may reduce the likelihood of acceptance by BaT; they're really persnickety. eBay may be a better fit, and you can still reach a national audience with it.

There's a bit to be said about the Dark Amethyst color. Mine attracts a fair amount of attention both in person and online. Recently, I took it to Thunder Beach with its 60,000 bikes, and seemed to turn many heads. Stands to reason; in a sea of custom baggers, suddenly an '85 VMax shows up, and folks are caught off guard. I heard more than one fella say "that's a Yamaha" or "that's a VMax", presumably in response to someone asking, "what is that?" I think the color contributes to that, since most folks expect to see Deep Garnet, yellow, black or carbon fiber.
I don't believe 32K miles is something that BaT would turn their nose up because of it. That's only 818 miles/year, If it 'needs-nothing' and is better-than-average, then I think BaT is a viable way to go, seeing as it's a first year bike. After all, one of the selling points could be, "Pee-Wee (Jay) Gleason turned a 10.27 second quarter-mile e.t. on one of these, the same year/model."

I don't believe 32K miles is something that BaT would turn their nose up because of it. That's only 818 miles/year, If it 'needs-nothing' and is better-than-average, then I think BaT is a viable way to go, seeing as it's a first year bike. After all, one of the selling points could be, "Pee-Wee (Jay) Gleason turned a 10.27 second quarter-mile e.t. on one of these, the same year/model."
I don't have much experience with BaT, but if you think the mileage is not a showstopper, I'd encourage him to try it out. Based upon prior auction results, I bet he could do a lot better than $4k if it were listed on that platform.

New tires and a good detail job, check out the brake pads/rotors for wear, and offer it to BaT. Sounds like then, it would need nothing. A first-year muscle cruiser that chased all the other contenders out of the market, with looks and performance. Sounds like a good combination to get onto BaT.

Dij0674, I think you should try Bring a Trailer. Like Fire-medic said, invest in a new set of tires, which the bike may very well need due to age. (I personally like the raised white letters on my Dunlop Qualifiers.) Detail the heck out of it and check the brake pads. Get some good photos, like near sunrise or sunset, and fill the frame with the bike by shooting in landscape mode and zooming in. The houses on your cul-de-sac make a good backdrop. Shoot a cold-start video by putting your hand on the cold header and start it up. Then submit your photos/video to Bring a Trailer and hope you're selected.

You can look at other VMaxes that have sold on BaT. They're getting the $6K+ you're looking for (albeit with much lower miles). I think a Gen 1 with ultra low miles went for $10 or $12K last year or the year before.

Full disclosure -- I'd like to experience this vicariously through you, and see how you do. I sincerely hope you blow way past the $4K that you're currenly asking; I think you can do much better in the right forum, reaching the right buyers. BaT rejected my 1986 Fazer with 9K miles, presumably due to the unoriginal paint, so I doubt they'll accept my '85 VMax with its aftermarket pinstripes (that are painted, not taped). Yours may be a better candidate due to its originality. Again, I'd love to see you take a whack at it, and if you are accepted, I think you could do really well.

Attachments

• vmax AND fazer.jpg
    vmax AND fazer.jpg
    574.2 KB · Views: 0
Thanks, I had considered putting the original mirrors and turn signals back on for the "audition" photos, but doubt that would have made a difference. I bought the bike from a European seller in Atlanta who preferred the look of the blue FZX750's that were sold outside the United States. (For the record, I agree, and prefer this color, too, although the stock burgundy runs a very close second.)

I think this would have been fine if it were an actual FZX750 and not an FZX700, but I can't argue, it is clearly unoriginal, and therefore, probably not up to BaT standards. Still, I like the way it looks, and it draws compliments everywhere. It's fun to get off the VMax and onto the "Wee Max". It feels a bit like a YZ80 after piloting the Gen 1.

The VMax in question at the center of this thread, IMHO, could be BaT material with new tires and a bit of elbow grease. Stock mirrors wouldn't hurt, and another member pointed out that it's missing some manifold covers, which could also be sourced by a parts bike.

A search of recent "comps" on BaT for 85's show three sales since 2022; one for $6K, another for $8.3K, and a third for $11K. Do these prices reflect real market value? Absolutely not, but that's not the point. The point it is to be able to market to the right potential buyer(s) who are evidently willing to pay more for whatever unknown, inexplicable reason may motivate them to do so.

Bottom line, I'd love to see this blue Max go up for auction, to see just how far or how high it could go. I think with a little work, it could be an excellent candidate.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-yamaha-v-max-1200/

Attachments

• 20240515_211645.jpg
    20240515_211645.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
And here we are, right where I told you you'd end up.
I thought the same thing you thought but I kept my mouth shut. There will never be a shortage of overpriced Vmaxes for sale. While I think you meant right, you only served to piss the seller off and make yourself out to be a “know it all”. While yes the price dropped, you couldn’t resist being a “I told you so” guy.
I think most everyone knows who you are as a person now. Many of us OG guys see your types come and go. Patmax.

Latest posts

Back