1st ride on the Vmax...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you got a pic of your shift light garrett? must have been blinded by the awesome frame connectors i forgot to look at your light set up. :rofl_200:

mine was letting a little bit of water in, so i got a black rubber cap thingy (thanks cruzer again) and cut a hole in it. then pressed it over the light with some saran warp. then put some silicone in there to really seal it up. haven' thad a problem since.

anyways i had a spare beat up speedo bucket so i sanded it and rattle canned it and mounted the light to it. i don't have any pics of it on, but its more than enough during the day to catch your eye and almost too bright at night.

Attachments

• SSPX0426.jpg
    SSPX0426.jpg
    86.4 KB
it works well for what it is. no regrets. u do gotta drill a hole in ur speedo cover to mount it.

hence the backup one you had. can you use a clamp of some kind or it just wiggles out??
might do it over the winter. I think you told me which one you had but i forget? please refresh my memory. Is it a easy hook up to the coil? which one you used.

harlan. it has a mount thats facing the wrong way to use a clamp (could easily be changed tho). a clamp would probably bugger up the speedo housing, but would work just as well.

i hooked it right into the back of my tach. all 3 wires, no extra mounting.

I should also add that on my very first ride, some idiot blew a stop sign at a t-section and just barreled into the lane at a high speed. Thankfully I was looking ahead and already started slowing down. I had enough time that I even looked directly at his head - which was looking right - the way he was turning. So technically I saw the back of his head. He was a young back driving a Saturn SL1 like he stole it.

And yes, I am respecting the beast, let me tell you.

Wow! I am just seeing this and I am sitting here in near disbelief. And so, I make the following points:

1) Post the damned pics.

2) I cannot believe for the life of me that you had a bike sitting there since May and "really" didn't ride it. You are either the "master of your domain" and in complete control of your will power, or you are lying through your teeth!!! BTW: There was a nice Seinfeld reference that I threw in there, but I'm starting to wonder if you are much younger than I am and perhaps are not familiar with Seinfeld. (Clues to age: a) "ghostntheshell" user name and paint scheme, b) your insurance is expensive, compared with my $91.00 policy total PER YEAR, c) you have no riding experience, and d) you actually waited to ride the bike instead of just saying, "screw it," like an old fart such as myself would have done.)

3) I don't care if you are young, but be really careful. This is not a learner's bike. I would never let one of my kids jump on a max or a rocket or an R1, or so many other bikes as a "FIRST" bike. Just please be careful. Don't try to prove anything to other riders. Don't come too hot into those corners making sure to slow down waaaay before you get to the apex. Don't ride in big groups, and avoid the freeway.

Ugh ... I totally sound like a parent. I'm sorry about that ... its those 5x kids that I have to feed, but seriously, sliding down the asphalt after a spill at 110mph is not cool. I haven't done it, but I've seen it. It never ends well.

Ok, I'll stop now.

PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S
I'M NOT STOPPING TILL WE GET SOME. PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S
Ok, I give. Its someone else's turn.

Wow! I am just seeing this and I am sitting here in near disbelief. And so, I make the following points:

1) Post the damned pics.

2) I cannot believe for the life of me that you had a bike sitting there since May and "really" didn't ride it. You are either the "master of your domain" and in complete control of your will power, or you are lying through your teeth!!! BTW: There was a nice Seinfeld reference that I threw in there, but I'm starting to wonder if you are much younger than I am and perhaps are not familiar with Seinfeld. (Clues to age: a) "ghostntheshell" user name and paint scheme, b) your insurance is expensive, compared with my $91.00 policy total PER YEAR, c) you have no riding experience, and d) you actually waited to ride the bike instead of just saying, "screw it," like an old fart such as myself would have done.)

3) I don't care if you are young, but be really careful. This is not a learner's bike. I would never let one of my kids jump on a max or a rocket or an R1, or so many other bikes as a "FIRST" bike. Just please be careful. Don't try to prove anything to other riders. Don't come too hot into those corners making sure to slow down waaaay before you get to the apex. Don't ride in big groups, and avoid the freeway.

Ugh ... I totally sound like a parent. I'm sorry about that ... its those 5x kids that I have to feed, but seriously, sliding down the asphalt after a spill at 110mph is not cool. I haven't done it, but I've seen it. It never ends well.

Ok, I'll stop now.

I'm 33yo and the v-max is my second bike after a twin Suzuki SV 650S.
I can only agree you.
Even after 1y i'm still discovering my bike, improving the balance and the riding attitude.
Better to take time and arriving in one piece, that's the idea.

I'm just happy to find a lot of feedback and help here.
Most of you guys have a huge experience and share it with us "newbies".
That's what is amazing with that bike, it's 25y of history of experience and passion and we still see guys like us getting a v-max 25y after its released...

Thanks for that guys ;)

1) Post the damned pics.

Ok, I'll stop now.

Whats with the " Don't ride in big groups, and avoid the freeway" part? Im new here too so just wondering.

I'M NOT STOPPING TILL WE GET SOME. PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S
:clapping:

Yeah this thread is a C hair from getting closed due to the blatant lack of respect for picture posting...

Whats with the " Don't ride in big groups, and avoid the freeway" part? Im new here too so just wondering.

Riding in big groups is insanely dangerous when you are inexperienced. Actually, to be honest, its dangerous even if you have experience because somebody else in the group might make a mistake and cause a huge domino effect.

If that's what you really like to do, then so be it, but give yourself a really nice space cushion or stay at the very back.

Also, its really boring because everybody has to go so dang slow and you're just part of a herd, but that part is not dangerous, just mind numbingly painful.

As for the freeway part, it just raises the stakes. You will quickly find that folks in cars see the space that you are occupying as a free spot and they'll quickly zip into it. It's almost as though they are sucked into the void as if you're presence creates an insurmountable vacuum. Nevermind that you are there on a motorcycle minding your own business.

They don't notice you because they are on their cell phone, doing their makeup, texting, reading the newspaper, yelling at their kids, fighting with their spouse, etc., etc., etc.

The point is, you have you be on your defensive when on the freeway and the high speeds make the game more dangerous. Folks just don't look out for motorcycles. They only look out for other big cars. That's just life.

Just be careful. That's my only point. I drive like a bat out of hell on long empty roads, and I'm not exactly sheepish around town and on the freeway, but I keep loads of space from other crazies, whether they are on bikes or in cages, and I'm always on the look out for the next sucker that's gonna try to mow me down.

I have no problem doing things that have an element of danger, but at the same time, I balance that danger with appropriate precaution.

That's kept the shiny side up for 20 years of riding. Let's hope for another 20 more.

My grandfather always told me that the most important thing about riding a bike is to always remember that EVERYONE ELSE ON THE ROAD IS AN IDIOT. This includes your wife, parents, best buddies. When I get on my bike I have the working assumption that I am entirely invisible. Don't ever assume that someone else sees and acknowledges you. I've had people look me directly in the eye and then pull out in front when I have the right of way.

Anyway. back to what's important:

WHERE ARE THE DAMN PICS????

Latest posts

Back