6th gear?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes sense if you use your bike that many miles a day. As we already discussed Sean sells the Venture Rear end which lowers the gear ratio. There are also options of transmission work. I dont think you want that kind of downtime with the hefty cost of transmission modifications.
Do you honestly think your MPG is going to drop that much by lowering your RPM'S by 1500 on the interstate?
As long as your not at 6500 and the V-BOOST is closed I really dont think you are going to see anymore than 1-2MPG increase. Hmm how long will that fuel savings take to pay for this modification?

Have to agree with Lankee, on this one. Pretty tough to recoup the money you'd spend, unless there are other tranny issues you're addressing with a replacement, too.

If you could snag a Ninja 250 or something this winter at a reasonable price, you could probably come close to doubling your Max's mileage, and could leave Max in the garage while burning up the miles on the Ninja on your daily commute.

Just take the Max when you're a little late. :punk:

So here's the big question: How much improvement (fuel economy wise) have people gotten with a venture rear end?

The improvement in rpm if 500 across all gears. Here's my rpm/speed ratio with the Venture diff:

4000 = 65
4500 = 75
5000 = 85
5500 = 95
6000 = 105
etc

Maybe I didn't ride my bike long enough with the original diff to be able to tell, but I noticed NO improvement? I still only get 95 highway miles to a tank before reserve (3 gal).

Ok I'm on an '86 with 38k miles on the clock, but I'm still puzzled by it.

:ummm::confused2::bang head::damn angry: :ummm:

The improvement in rpm if 500 across all gears. Here's my rpm/speed ratio with the Venture diff:

4000 = 65
4500 = 75
5000 = 85
5500 = 95
6000 = 105
etc

Maybe I didn't ride my bike long enough with the original diff to be able to tell, but I noticed NO improvement? I still only get 95 highway miles to a tank before reserve (3 gal).

Ok I'm on an '86 with 38k miles on the clock, but I'm still puzzled by it.

:ummm::confused2::bang head::damn angry: :ummm:

IIRC, 50 mph in 5th gear was 3,000 rpm...thus 6000 = 100 mph, or about 5% different than the 105 listed above. :ummm:

It's a 10% change so realistically a 10% change in economy should be possible.

Sean

So let me get this right:

- what I listed are the speedo/tacho readings I am getting now with the Venture diff
- I have stock wheels, with stock size Dunlop Qualifiers
- said Dunlops are 80% worn on rear, 50% worn on front

Could tire wear account for 5% discrepancy?

It's a 10% change so realistically a 10% change in economy should be possible.

Sean

Yeah sure! I highly doubt that. So if I get 40MPG say cruising at 6K RPMS down the interstate I should get 52MPG if I slowed my RPMS down to 4K RPMS?

:rofl_200:

Yeah sure! I highly doubt that. So if I get 40MPG say cruising at 6K RPMS down the interstate I should get 52MPG if I slowed my RPMS down to 4K RPMS?

:rofl_200:

Yeah, I don't remember the physics exactly, but I thought that the air force that's hitting you is either squared or doubled based on speed.... I'm pretty sure it's not a simple 1:1 relationship.

As an example I have an older thunderbird that used to get a solid 24 mpg on the highway doing 75mph back and forth to work daily. The overdrive went out which upped my rpm's by about 700. The car still gets 22-23 on average. I realize were talking about a car versus a motorcycle but the principle is the same. In my opinion I dont think the small gain is worth the cost.

In my opinion I don't think the small gain is worth the cost.

I have to agree that looking at it retrospectively, I feel I've wasted my money on the Venture diff. Maybe in the really long run I'll get a little less engine wear doing 500rpm less for the same speed, but even that will that a long long time to actually see a saving of any kind.

Changing the 5th gear for the Venture overdrive is definitely a better option as I feel that this would really help by dropping the rpm a LOT more for highway cruising, but again the high cost of splitting the cases would take a hell of a lot of miles @ $4/gal to even out.. It's only worth doing if dropping the motor is a must for other repairs.

I am in the process of putting a 22' Spinner (Less drag) Dub for my rear wheel. This will lower my RPM's and it will look PHAT

Also with my 22' spinner on the rear I am going to put a 12in scooter wheel up front.

This will acomplish 2 things to save gas mileage.

1) The bike will always be going downhill.
2) The wheel is going to spin faster which make the speedo read faster and register more miles per gallon.
:eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

Ok, I will stop now, this thread is getting ridiculous but know yourselfs out.

Yea, just to correct myself guys - I screwed up: reading my speedo again last night, and 4000 rpm = 75mph with the Venture diff.

Then it goes like this: 4500=85, 5000=95, 5500=105, 6000=115 and so on.

Sorry for the confusion!

Yea, just to correct myself guys - I screwed up: reading my speedo again last night, and 4000 rpm = 75mph with the Venture diff.

Then it goes like this: 4500=85, 5000=95, 5500=105, 6000=115 and so on.

Sorry for the confusion!

Come on with them numbers, I know your close to I95. I wanna know what the RPM is at 155??

8000 of course. But that ain't ever gonna happen with a stock engine and the way it's been wobbling anyway. Fastest I've been so far is 135 and I have no intention to try again until I get those new Shinkos on my wheels and replace them bearings. Just not enough of a suicide wish lol

Latest posts

Back