92 Brake Upgrade

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunrunner

Reaction score
My Max is a stock 92 . As i do get to ride it often im looking at improving brakes etc . Ive been reading the threads on different rotors but some seem to be very expensive and being on a budget out of the ball park .
What would be the best setup for the front on a budget and do i need to worry bout the back ones . Have had a look on ebay but i need to hear from you guys on whats what , any links would be handy :punk:
Also looking at solid motor mounts along the way to . :clapping:

most guys have great luck upgrading the calipers up front. i'd start there.

as far as the rear, i hate the stock rear set up. a new EBC solid rotor with organic pads would be my recommendation. should be well under $200 for the rear.

however i'd do the front first if u have the older style.

Check out our busa adapters (more info on here and on our website). I do offer some 4 piston adapters that let you use your existing rotors without getting the larger ones. Not as good an upgrade as the busa mod but far better then stock still. I have a pair of homemade 4 piston adapters that were given to me and if you want them I would make them very cheap for you. I also have calipers on hand to make it a nearly complete conversion.

Sean

Check out our busa adapters (more info on here and on our website). I do offer some 4 piston adapters that let you use your existing rotors without getting the larger ones. Not as good an upgrade as the busa mod but far better then stock still. I have a pair of homemade 4 piston adapters that were given to me and if you want them I would make them very cheap for you. I also have calipers on hand to make it a nearly complete conversion.

Sean

Sean PM sent .

How much of a difference between 4 and 6 piston calipers , im looking for good brakes for the Vmax and wanting to know would 4 be fine or if im gonna do it go for 6 ..

Also went on fleabay and cant seem to find wave rotors for a 92 , do they not sell them anymore . :ummm:

Hey Matt, there's alot of ways to go to upgrade the 92 brakes on your max. To keep things fairly cheap, I would say to pick up 98-03 R1 front rotors (same as the 93-07 max rotors) and they are pretty cheap.Here's an example - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMA...rcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item33597afbf1

Than you can get Jedi's caliper adapters for your stock calipers for now, or upgrade to the newer style max calipers or the 98-03 R1 calipers.

For the back, I used a 98-03 R1 front rotor and Jedi's caliper bracket adapter and I think it's a great improvement.

Of course, braided lines and EBC HH pads will help alot too.

Mike

Running the stock calipers is fine IMO, Ebay larger semi floating discs like these....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRON...ccessories?hash=item1e59bce1b7#ht_1532wt_1165
are pretty cheap. Braided lines with aftermarket pads that Red Baron sell here in NZ. You'll need my adaptors to run the discs as your bike is pre 93. The same adaptor can be used for any year on the rear with a larger rotor.
That means you need 3 rotors of course BUT seeing as I'm going to dual brake my 88 this year , I could split the cost on one of the pairs of rotors if you're keen.
With this setup I have no desire to alter the brakes further, I'm more than happy with the performance.
With some solid mounts which I can make for you free anyway you could lash out and get some progressive front springs, heavier fork oil (forget the emulators), block the air valve and like magic you have a new bike.

Running the stock calipers is fine IMO, Ebay larger semi floating discs like these....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRON...ccessories?hash=item1e59bce1b7#ht_1532wt_1165
are pretty cheap. Braided lines with aftermarket pads that Red Baron sell here in NZ. You'll need my adaptors to run the discs as your bike is pre 93. The same adaptor can be used for any year on the rear with a larger rotor.
That means you need 3 rotors of course BUT seeing as I'm going to dual brake my 88 this year , I could split the cost on one of the pairs of rotors if you're keen.
With this setup I have no desire to alter the brakes further, I'm more than happy with the performance.
With some solid mounts which I can make for you free anyway you could lash out and get some progressive front springs, heavier fork oil (forget the emulators), block the air valve and like magic you have a new bike.

Sounds like a plan i would be keen on,, would be a good excuse to ride up to see ya etc .... But that would mean the death of the Cadillac . :punk:

Is that what do did to your 90 ?

Is that what do did to your 90 ?

Yes. If you're keen to run up to Auckland we could do the whole thing, brakes/rotors, fork springs/oil and solid mounts .
You'd be riding up on that big sponge pudding and riding back on a cruise missile:punk:

Attachments

• 006 (Large).jpg
    006 (Large).jpg
    71 KB
  • 010 (Large).jpg
    010 (Large).jpg
    74.9 KB
I will throw my 2 cents on using the ebay wavy rotors, using Jedi's adaptors (2 front/ one rear), HH pads and SS lines. It made a huge difference in braking!!! I also have progressive springs which really helped with the fork dive under braking. You'll be amazed how those changes will make it feel like a whole different bike.

I did Sean's Busa upgrade on my 89 with some 05 Warrior rotors a few months back and it was the single best mod I've done on an of my bikes hands down. It made the single most immediate difference. It made the Max's stopping from being watercraft like to that of a modern sportbike. This isn't knocking Jedi's because I know very little about it but I know that I was stoked with the Busa brake conversion's results.

Jedi's conversion saves the cost of calipers and I am sure works well. The busa conversion increases pad contact considerably and also reduces the sharpness of the OEM brakes giving a considerably better "Feel". 6 piston vs 2.

Sean

I too am doing Sean's busa brake upgrade in a effort to get more braking power. While Jedi's system is a vast improvement over stock(in concert with progrressive springs upgrade) I want to brake a little later going into corners so adding busa calipers along with the SS lines I added last spring and the rebuilding of the M/C I should have what I want.

I have a couple FJR brake masters off of the '05 with ABS. It is a 16mm bore which is basically the same as our 5/8" master so it won't offer a different feel in braking action BUT it does have a 5 position adjustable lever and the OE connectors for the brake switch plug right in. Actually, I have more than one if anyone is interested. Looking to get $70.00 shipped out of one.

They are currently NOT drilled and tapped for the stock vmax mirrors but the boss is there. I was planning to do so but tap it with regular threads vs. reverse threads. That way you could use any mirror you want without those ugly adaptors. If you wanted to use stock mirrors I could throw in a stem from a left mirror and then you'd be golden.

FYI

16mm=0.629"
5/8"=0.625"
14mm=0.551"

Another FYI on FJR bore diameters:

03' thru 05' all have the same bore diameter in the clutch master. 14mm
03' is the ONLY year the FJR had a front brake master with 14mm bore
04'-05' FJR front brake masters are 15mm
04'-05' FJR front brake masters for ABS equipped bikes are 16mm.

Im sure the busa brake mod is the shit , i have priced busa calipers here and its more than all the mods mentioned that im gonna be doing .
Anyways i plan on going not stoppin :punk:

Latest posts

Back