Anyone have the Go Cruise?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have VistaCruise. Like it too. Gives my wrist a rest on long rides. More of a throttle lock than real cruise control. I thought about a real cruise control, maybe adapt from a Venture? Decided to just keep it simple.
Steve-o

I had one but due to my hamfisted handling of it I broke it but at $20 it wasn't a big loss. I will be ordering another one or two in the near future.
I liked it and it works well but I found that if your riding with another rider it was difficult to keep the speeds adjusted so you could stay together. Like Stevo-o mentioned it locks the throttle position so if your in traffic or in hilly terrain you'll be adding input to adjust your speed.
Where it really shines is when riding solo, in this scenario it worked perfectly. A nice feature is that if you just need to pass a car all you have to do is twist the throttle and it will return to your previous speed. It really allows for a extended rest period for your right arm.

Red

Two questions.. How does it actually lock the throttle? Also does it wear the grip at all where it attaches? Also how wide is it?

Go here and watch the video and it will show you how to install it and shows how it "locks" the throttle position. It is very simple but effective. It sets the throttle position by friction clamping on the grip and by the extended part contacting the brake lever. To release all you need to do is with a very light pressure twist the throttle forward to defeat it and was not a problem to leave it on there when it was not needed.
I only used it on a 1200 mile trip and several times locally testing it out so it did not show any wear on the grip. It uses about a 1/4" of the grip on the thumb side.

BrakeAway throttle lock cruise control. Had it on several rides and love it.

Blaine
If I was traveling on freeways all the time I possibly would get a Brakeaway but at $200 is too much for how I would use it on my Vmax. It takes up roughly twice the space on the grip as the Go Cruise throttle control.
For me the Go Cruise is better b/c you can easily remove it and it only runs <$20 shipped.

+1 on Redbone's comments. I have a Go Cruise ( the 7/8 size) and think it's fantastic. Need to thank Redbone for bringing this little accessory to my attention ! :worthy:
Used it for about 60 minutes total today on a 3.5 hr (mostly highway) cruise after attending another great Michigan VMOA event in Three Rivers, Mi. Took a couple times riding / using it to get the hang of setting it just right. But it sure helps in allowing you to take your righthand pressure squeeze off the throttle grip for a short periods of time, letting your hand / wrist rest and not get sore or ache. Works GREAT!

Like Redbone, mine broke too after using it for 3 months. It was like the fifth time I was taking it off ( was showing it to someone at Thunder ) per the way the supplier's instructions showed to do it. Call the Supplier's Tech Service phone number, told them what happened, and they sent me a new one - NO CHARGE, since there was a 1 yr warrenty on the Go Cruise unit. (Just sent them an picture of the broken unit via e-mail to them)

Their instruction on how to install have you spreading apart the open end to go over the throttle grip on the thumb side of the grip. BAD WAY ! It forces the plastic to flex too much this way, causing fatigue & eventual breakage if repeated several times. That's what happened to mine.

A MUCH BETTER WAY to install the Go Cruise is to start at the end of the grip, spread the open end of the Go Cruise just enough so the opening that goes around the grip, slips over the grip, and move it into the proper position / thumb side of the grip. This way, you don't force the plastic piece to open a distance of 7/8" to get over the diameter of the grip (BAD), but rather only 1/2" to slide over the entire length if the grip (MUCH BETTER).
And once installed, just keep it in place... whether you use it or not.

I'd recommend this. Product works, inexpensive ($19.99 with shipping included I believe) , a 1 yr warrenty, and excellent customer service.

My Nighthawk has built in cruise control, because the throttle cables are super stiff. Just set the throttle and it stays there. Actually kind of convenient on the highway, lol.

I was going and did get the Brakeaway but it did'nt fit my Rizoma grips and right after I bought it I found out about the Go cruise. I like the quick removal and narrower profile. Plus I don't do long trips that often. I returned the Brakeaway and will order the GC for my NH trip in a couple of weeks. Any Montreal riders here?..was thinking of trying to get up there as well.

If I was traveling on freeways all the time I possibly would get a Brakeaway but at $200 is too much for how I would use it on my Vmax. It takes up roughly twice the space on the grip as the Go Cruise throttle control.
For me the Go Cruise is better b/c you can easily remove it and it only runs <$20 shipped.

I agree it is a more expensive than the alternatives you mentioned. It also takes up a lot of room on the grip and you can kiss goodbye heated grips. On the plus side it shouldn't ever break under normal use.

I hardly ever go on the superslab and I get lots of use out of it...there's enough secondary roads in S-W Ontario that go on for miles without a turn in sight!

Blaine

Think I'll stick with VISTA Cruise. They both seem to work about the same. They're only for a short break for me. I seldom leave it on long. No flat highways out this way. Like Brian said, they don't work if your riding with someone else. The break away is definitly stronger looking Brian.....lol

I have the vista cruise too, and it works ok for what it is. Anyone know the name of the cruise control that mounts on the end of the handlebar? I think it actually takes place of the oem bar-end.

Found it..Throttlemeister! $149, but the application chart shows vmax 93-03?? Why not 85 to 07....what changed??

Back