ask a gen 1 and 2 owner..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does going to a 17 or 18" wheel mess up the "gearing" of the bike, or do the much lower profile tires kind of cancel it out? I already have the Venture drive, sold my stock one a while ago. Does putting a radial on the stock front rim mess up the speedometer? I'd love to go to radials but that's pretty serious coin. I'd probably have to ride a radial-equipped bike to see what the difference is first.

I first looked into this figuring a generic bike rim would probably cost the same as a generic replacement car rim...like $100. Ehhh, not so much, haha.

lots of questions..

17" rear changes it slightly. it would probably be back to stock with your venture rear end.
18" i bet puts it right at stock size

radial on the front changed mine slightly I believe. I'm still trying to figure it out, its between 5-10% based on mile markers. its not too bad. going to a 17 up front would probably change it significantly.

thats what i said, i rode bills and it was nice but honeslty i did it more for the reason (with the swingarm) if i took sweepers at above 70 or at above 50 and let of the gas still leaned over the bike would shake the back end like a rotwieler was ahold of it..

trust me, worth every penny. plus the shinko verge011 are on sale CHEAP at BB right now..

So a 17" radial tire is actually has a smaller circumference than the stock 15" tire from the profile difference? Meaning it would effectively raise RPMs across the board slightly?

Never would have guessed that.

So a 17" radial tire is actually has a smaller circumference than the stock 15" tire from the profile difference? Meaning it would effectively raise RPMs across the board slightly?

Never would have guessed that.

right...

i run a 190/50 on a 17" rim. that diameter is roughly 62 cm. the 15"rim with a 170/80 tire is around 65 cm. -> 5% ish

an 18" rim however (much more mooolah) would put you at (assuming same aspect ratio (roughly)) another 2.5 cm bringing you up to almost 65cm.

Stock 18" Front:
110/90-18 = 81.037" circ - 25.8" dia. (Stock).
110/80-18 = 78.317" circ - 24.93" dia. (What I have).
100/90-18 = 78.813" circ - 25.09" dia.
120/70-18 = 77.327" circ - 24.614" dia.

18" Rear:
150/90-15 = 80.6" circ - 25.63 dia. (Stock).
170/60-18 = 81.8" circ - 26.03 dia. (What I have).
160/60-18 = 80.3" circ - 25.6" dia.

With the slightly taller rear tire and Venture rear end, I get 44 - 45 mpg at 80 on the highway.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Stock 18" Front:
110/90-18 = 81.037" circ - 25.8" dia. (Stock).
110/80-18 = 78.317" circ - 24.93" dia. (What I have).
100/90-18 = 78.813" circ - 25.09" dia.
120/70-18 = 77.327" circ - 24.614" dia.

18" Rear:
150/90-15 = 80.6" circ - 25.63 dia. (Stock).
170/60-18 = 81.8" circ - 26.03 dia. (What I have).
160/60-18 = 80.3" circ - 26.6" dia.

With the slightly taller rear tire and Venture rear end, I get 44 - 45 mpg at 80 on the highway.

Hope this helps.

question on the last calculation... how does the 170 and 160 both with a 60% aspect ratio, how does the 160 have a taller diameter?

and for those of us who ride with passengers.

she complained about the following - compared to the old gen 1

backrest is way too low
pegs are way to skinny
pegs are too high up

but the seat is more comfortable

Arrrrrgh...mod monkey is poking me about a 17" radial for next year. DAMN MONKEY!

Arrrrrgh...mod monkey is poking me about a 17" radial for next year. DAMN MONKEY!

the shinko 011 verge rear tires are on sale too. like $100 for a rear. could probably fit a 180 on a stock swingarm.

altho if ur gonna do it, i'd recommend a braced swingarm (and notched if you'd like)

road was wet this morning and i still did a power wheelie in 1st.

question on the last calculation... how does the 170 and 160 both with a 60% aspect ratio, how does the 160 have a taller diameter?

Should be 25.6 instead of 26.6. Lucky that was the only typing error I made with my two finger style... :damn angry:

oh and the transmission is way smoother too. you start to pull the lever up and it "clicks" and it sucks into gear.

oh and in my opinion you "feel" acceleration more on the gen 1. but the gen 2 is way faster

oh and in my opinion you "feel" acceleration more on the gen 1. but the gen 2 is way faster

I have a Gen 1 and 2.... and the Gen 1 does not even come close to the Gen 2 feel in acceleration...

i think its the frame twist on the gen 1. or maybe the fear of knowing you cant stop.. i sat up straighter on my gen 1 than the gen 2 too so thats just me.

also are you leaned forward more on your gen 2? i think i am... im wondering if my bars have something to do with it... like if theyve been adjusted or something?

but ya without a doubt the gen 2 is a faster bike all around

some pics

check out the new fuel inlet funnel filler cap design tube. if you overflow, it drains INTO the tank. YAY!!! gawd knows these gen 2s need every drop

Attachments

• DSC_0163.jpg
    DSC_0163.jpg
    79.9 KB
  • DSC_0169.jpg
    DSC_0169.jpg
    44.9 KB
  • DSC_0171.jpg
    DSC_0171.jpg
    44.8 KB
its a bad bike dude its so bad.

see you next time it said

For some reason I think machines that "talk" to you are way cool. I rode a couple customer's jetskis over the summer that did something similar, scrolling welcome, or good-bye as you started or stopped the motor. Seem to remember a sea-doo that said "WELCOME TO SEA-DOO HAVE FUN" or something like that when you plugged the tether in.

At least my Max is better than the magna. I get the whirr of the boost valves and clicking of the fuel pump to let me know it's awake, my Magna did nothing except wink on the green neutral light.

What it really needs is one of those calendar like things you see at industrial plants, except it keeps track and says "It's been ____ days since the last burnout/wheelie", as a reminder to ensure your hooligan level stays high. It would be fun to tinker with the messages...like have it say "OM NOM NOM" as the fuel level rises, or "NICE ONE" after it detects a lot of rear wheelspin.

Does it keep track of maximum speed? I guess speedos always tend to be kind of optimistic, but it would be fun. I've noticed Yamaha digital ones seem to be some of the worst "offenders" in the optimistic department. My Yamaha sled has a similar gauge to the new Vmax (big analog tach, little digital speed screen) and it's close to 15mph fast on the top end (it says 125, actually around 110 on GPS). Friend's R6 is the same way...according to the dash it does 180mph....lol. GPS has shown mid 150's.

to be honest i dont know i havent played with the options yet, i know it has a countdown timer, stop watch, two trip meters, fuel gauge, clock, gear indicator, engine temperature, a fuel tripmeter that starts counting when the low fuel light comes on, odometer, valve opening angle/throttle position guage/meter thing and im sure theres more

lol i reset the odo right after i got fuel and i havent even ridden it hard :(

Latest posts

Back