ask a gen 1 and 2 owner..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That blows. I mean I understand it's a muscle bike and not a Goldwing Interstate, but come on... 70-80 mile range? My maxi-minibike goes farther than that, albeit at a top end of about 50mph. Instead of a gas gauge, they have just put one of those five-minute hourglasses that come with board games.

And I thought 120 to reserve was crappy..... (I've found it goes dead-on-road at about 155).

That'd be a serious "speedbump" for me to get over, since I regularly do a 90 mile commute (one way) on the bike. I can easily make it without having to touch reserve, and I've made it leaving with 35 on the tank before.

Maybe in later years they're offer select on the fly fuel maps like some current sport tourers and sportbikes. A full mode for max performance, then an "eco" mode when you're just cruising on the highway and don't need all that power.

It has a mode selector already. It's called your WRIST! You can get 120 miles before fill up (if your wrist behaves) :)

That blows. I mean I understand it's a muscle bike and not a Goldwing Interstate, but come on... 70-80 mile range? My maxi-minibike goes farther than that, albeit at a top end of about 50mph. Instead of a gas gauge, they have just put one of those five-minute hourglasses that come with board games.

And I thought 120 to reserve was crappy..... (I've found it goes dead-on-road at about 155).

That'd be a serious "speedbump" for me to get over, since I regularly do a 90 mile commute (one way) on the bike. I can easily make it without having to touch reserve, and I've made it leaving with 35 on the tank before.

Maybe in later years they're offer select on the fly fuel maps like some current sport tourers and sportbikes. A full mode for max performance, then an "eco" mode when you're just cruising on the highway and don't need all that power.

Wait a minute. . . I bought a 200 HP muscle bike and am worried about gas mileage?:ummm:

Your right this bike is defiantly not for you.

IMHO

some pics

check out the new fuel inlet funnel filler cap design tube. if you overflow, it drains INTO the tank. YAY!!! gawd knows these gen 2s need every drop

4k miles? i assume u bought used?

The speedo is not optimistic,
We checked two 2010's , mine and Darly's (long distance guy) with a GPS at 75 (on the GPS) both bikes showed 78 on the speedo. I average 35 mpg on a long distance ride at @ 75 indicated. @33 back and forth to work with half and half city and highway.
Yes I definitely lean over a little more on the Gen 2, bars are wider as well. I like it though, feels more aggressive but not as far as a sport bike. My reserve light comes on around 85 typically but will go an easy 30 more before I start to get nervous.

The speedo is not optimistic,
We checked two 2010's , mine and Darly's (long distance guy) with a GPS at 75 (on the GPS) both bikes showed 78 on the speedo. I average 35 mpg on a long distance ride at @ 75 indicated. @33 back and forth to work with half and half city and highway.
Yes I definitely lean over a little more on the Gen 2, bars are wider as well. I like it though, feels more aggressive but not as far as a sport bike. My reserve light comes on around 85 typically but will go an easy 30 more before I start to get nervous.

how stock is yours though? im wondering if i could get better mileage if i was on the interstate...

this one has a power commander 5, x pipe, arrow carbon fiber mufflers, autotuner for the pc5, top speed limiter remover... maybe a couple other things i cant remember.

this bike doesnt stop pulling around 110-115 like the gen 1... it just pulls and pulls and pulls

4k miles? i assume u bought used?

yep it was alrdy modded with 3900 miles on it... it doesnt break my heart over buying a new one, i save a few k and i can ride it hard whenever i like! but i honestly dont ride it like the guys at the vmoa meet lol. me and my gf just plop it in 4th or 5th gear on a country road and chill. or if im alone i cruise on sw 60. i know i cant be THAT hard on it cuz im never below 3rd gear unless im in town.

4 speeding tickets will do that to you

oh and im also wondering.. how good is the slipper clutch in these? ive felt the rear get slick on me going into second at like 7k rpm not even riding it hard?? i guess im easing out the clutch more from now on heh.

oh and does your gen 2 make a ringing sound when the key is turned?

Ringing sound???
I don't think so???
It does cycle though and make a slight "whinning sound", maybe thats what you are saying?

ya my airbox does whatever it does and then it just sits there with a high pitched ring...

im young though and i dont think my dad can hear it either...

kind of like those ring tones only kids can hear? its just so high pitched adults cant hear it

You saying I'm old? HA HA
I getting there..... But no High pitched tones though.... and my hearing is pretty good.

hey does your gen 2 not go back to idle after youve ridden it for awhile? if i pull the clutch in it goes back to 1k rpm but if the clutch lever is out it sits at around 1200 rpm. thats enough to make it go 30mph in 5th gear... wtf?

No, that problem is a well documented recall Yamaha has on certain serial number 09's .....

Latest posts

Back