Backrest or NO backrest

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont have one yet but its a must if you want to keep the wife off the asphalt, especially on a Vmax. She takes to good care of me for that!

i think renntec is best bang for the buck.

I have a factory sissybar......I HATE IT!!!!!!

Wife won't let me take it off.......yet:damn angry:

I have a stock grab rail coming........it might change when she ain't lookin':biglaugh:

Kaboom let me know if SHE lets you sell it.:rofl_200: Im in the market

I do not intend to part with it.......just put it away.....along with the stock exhaust and windshield.....just in case ya know???:ummm:

Hello, you guy's forget about having both? Many of us cool guy's do! Join us...

Have the macho stock grab bar for one up, and in seconds slap on the factory look-a-like back rest for dragging the ladies along.

Oh...You want to be cool huh? OK.
Its made by H.A.C. and found at ricepaddy.com. Theres another place to get them but can't remember now. Someone will chime in where. Anyhow you bolt up a bracket under the seat and the leggs of the back rest slide in and assume the factory look. Best of both worlds. Only drawback is the rear reflector has to go till you figure out what you want to replace it. a few options from cheap and quick to pricy custom and funtional.

Attachments

• Picture 034.jpg
    Picture 034.jpg
    58.6 KB
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    50.9 KB
Last edited:
Pic's of my brake/marker lights where the reflector was.

Attachments

• Billet 01.jpg
    Billet 01.jpg
    114.5 KB
  • Billet 02A.jpg
    Billet 02A.jpg
    103.1 KB
  • Billet 05A.jpg
    Billet 05A.jpg
    108.6 KB
  • Billet 07A.jpg
    Billet 07A.jpg
    111.4 KB
  • Billet 14.jpg
    Billet 14.jpg
    95.5 KB
  • Picture 001 (2).jpg
    Picture 001 (2).jpg
    47.3 KB
Vmaxcruiser, I like the way your removable backrest looks and works. As far as the original goes, I hate the way it looks on my bike and I also hate the way my saddlebags and windshield look as well....BUT you can beat them for function!!! I think Mr. Max looks best stripped down and ready to rumble!! The "Jeckyll and Hyde" look is awesome.

Last edited:
I too have the HAC and it's the best of both worlds. This year the wife is prego so the rear sissy is coming off. I HATE it on there. She LOVES it on there so it stays while she rides. I too did the mod to put the trim plate back on when it's removed so it looks pretty dang good now with it gone. Otherwise it looks like ass IMO.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    73.4 KB
  • IMG_0686.jpg
    IMG_0686.jpg
    70.1 KB
  • IMG_0200.jpg
    IMG_0200.jpg
    81.7 KB
  • 100_2394.jpg
    100_2394.jpg
    105.9 KB
I just put a factory backrest on mine. I have two eights and an 11 year old and a wife that all like to ride. I'ts way to easy to get after it and have the passanger not paying attention. It also give's me a place to hold or tie down stuff. As far as looks, I can take it or leave it. I had a sissybar on my zl900 eliminator for the same reasons. I guess I'm more of a function over style type.
Tim

I just put a factory backrest on mine. I have two eights and an 11 year old and a wife that all like to ride. I'ts way to easy to get after it and have the passanger not paying attention. It also give's me a place to hold or tie down stuff. As far as looks, I can take it or leave it. I had a sissybar on my zl900 eliminator for the same reasons. I guess I'm more of a function over style type.
Tim

Guess I fall under the same category '93. Can't say I'm totally thrilled with the looks of a sissybar/backrest but they are soooo handy any loss in asthetics is quickly made up for with function.

I'll be installing a factory one later today on the '99 for no other reason than to have a place to put my helmet when gassing up.

I hate it when my helmet goes bouncing across the parking lot cause I klutzed into it while tripping the center section! :damn angry:

Everybody that was standing there admiring the bike kinda turns and walks away! :bang head:

I am with you on that one Danno. I mostly have mine on there to hold my helmet. Nothing worse then watching a $350 helmet bouncing on the pavement.

I say nay; it just doesn't look right. I agree that it prevents the woman from potentially falling off the back under acceleration no Harley rider will EVER see, but otherwise I'm not a fan. My Max came with a Corbin seat with a removable backrest, so you may want to look into something like that. Use the backrest for two-up rides, then take it off when you're solo.

I have a factory sissybar......I HATE IT!!!!!!

Wife won't let me take it off.......yet:damn angry:

I have a stock grab rail coming........it might change when she ain't lookin':biglaugh:

You want to work a trade for a Corbin seat with backrest?

I have the Corbin, and everyone who has ridden back there says it's comfortable, but I prefer the OEM look.

Latest posts

Back