Bad pickup coil?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvb34441

Reaction score
I’ll start off by saying that I dropped my 90’ vmax about a month and a half ago. Big patch of loose grass going through a corner. Bummer. Dropped and slid on the kickstand side. Mostly cosmetic damage apart from the engine cover which I replaced. Just one problem, she won’t start. Cranks all you want but won’t fire. There’s no spark whatsoever. I grabbed a new spark plug from autozone just to make sure the plugs weren’t the issue and they aren’t. It’s got essentially brand new coil packs as of 1 year ago according to the gentleman I bought it from. I was reading through some of the forums and I’m seeing that it could be either the CDI box or pickup coil.

It could also be the sidestand relay. That happened 1 time on my 86. Crank but no start. I have an ignitech ecu in it, and it would tell me that the pickup coil was still firing.

Are you trying to crank it in gear, or in neutral? Clutch pulled in or out? Side stand up or down?

It could also be the sidestand relay. That happened 1 time on my 86. Crank but no start. I have an ignitech ecu in it, and it would tell me that the pickup coil was still firing.

Are you trying to crank it in gear, or in neutral? Clutch pulled in or out? Side stand up or down?
I hadn’t considered that. Where is the side stand relay located? I’ve been cranking it in neutral, clutch both in and out, side stand down and up.

I hadn’t considered that. Where is the side stand relay located? I’ve been cranking it in neutral, clutch both in and out, side stand down and up.
On the 86 it was on the left side just to the left of the ecu right there on that tray. I believe that it had 4 wires on it. On the earlier models, by taking it out, the bike would start, but you were disabling a safety system. On the later ones, 90 and up, if they relay went bad you just had to replace it.

Latest posts

Back