bad weave...I'm stumped.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R & R, ask him to check the plumbness of the rear wheel to the frame. It can be adjusted by loosening the 4 bolts holding the final drive to the drive shaft tube and twisting as needed.

Not sure this could cause your issue but it's worth checking. :confused2:
THANKS GUYS FOR THE HEADS UP, I'll be sure to tell him.:biglaugh:

Update.... Well he called me over to the shop this evening to take a quick peek. He finally got around to working on it today.The bike is on the lift with the rear tire off the ground,...In high gear at 4000 rpm the bike starts to swim like a fish! The front starts weaving back and forth, and the rear does the same thing ! Up to 5500, and the thrust pushing the bike side ways is crazy. Soooo, defenitly something to do with the back tire and rim I figure. Thats all he had time to get into today, Buts its nice to see where this weave was comming from.:biglaugh:

How about the tyre balancing?

So with the bike on the lift, and the rear tire off the ground and spinning, the bike wants to move sideways? (like it wants to twist on the center stand?)

Update.... Well he called me over to the shop this evening to take a quick peek. He finally got around to working on it today.The bike is on the lift with the rear tire off the ground,...In high gear at 4000 rpm the bike starts to swim like a fish! The front starts weaving back and forth, and the rear does the same thing ! Up to 5500, and the thrust pushing the bike side ways is crazy. Soooo, defenitly something to do with the back tire and rim I figure. Thats all he had time to get into today, Buts its nice to see where this weave was comming from.:biglaugh:

BINGO! PROOF that weave can, and sometimes, does imminate from the rear tire/wheel combo. I've been saying this to people off and on for many, many years, but it always seems to fall on deaf ears. Most people want to believe loose, or misadjusted stem bearings, or front wheel bearings MUST be the cause of the Max's bad high-speed symptoms because, after all, it's the front end that gets out of control.

So with the bike on the lift, and the rear tire off the ground and spinning, the bike wants to move sideways? (like it wants to twist on the center stand?)

The bike starts weaving just like it does on the highway. It sends a funny walk to the front end.The front end starts moving left and right,..like a fish swimming LOL

BINGO! PROOF that weave can, and sometimes, does imminate from the rear tire/wheel combo. I've been saying this to people off and on for many, many years, but it always seems to fall on deaf ears. Most people want to believe loose, or misadjusted stem bearings, or front wheel bearings MUST be the cause of the Max's bad high-speed symptoms because, after all, it's the front end that gets out of control.

Yes,.. the REAR seems to push the problem forward , and make the front end walk back and forth. Not sure why yet, but soon gonna know. With that amount of MASS moving forward.....the light front gets wipped around.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is the typical 'wobble' issue we usually deal with??? :confused2: The front 'walking back & forth' is kind of a new description....usually the wobble comes on, gets bad real fast and often turns into a full blown tank slapper quickly.

This sounds a little different.

Do you have access to another v max to get frame measurements off for comparison? I have no idea if a bent frame could do this but might be another thing worth checking.

R n R...how long have you owned the bike? And, how long has it been doing this 'weave'?

TBH, I think this description fits the front end wobble I experienced perfectly.

Also, with the 15" rear wheel and huge profile tire, it makes complete sense. I would bet no-one with a rear 17" or 18" wheel with low profile tire has ever experienced a high speed wobble?

And, it also concurs with the theory that riding with a pillion stops the wobble, as with all the extra weight on the rear tire, it couldn't do what it does as described here.

Food for thought, definitely.

TBH, I think this description fits the front end wobble I experienced perfectly.

Also, with the 15" rear wheel and huge profile tire, it makes complete sense. I would bet no-one with a rear 17" or 18" wheel with low profile tire has ever experienced a high speed wobble?

And, it also concurs with the theory that riding with a pillion stops the wobble, as with all the extra weight on the rear tire, it couldn't do what it does as described here.

It does make perfect sense!! Very perceptive G!! Certainly would like to hear more on this from the big tire guys!!

so we have a wobble fix! if it happens jump on the pillon!

If the wobble/weave is actually related to the tire then why not remove the tire from the rim and remount the rim on the bike.

Run the same test again and see of the wobble continues.....
If the wobble continues, we can rule out the tire as the cause.
If the wobble gets better, it does not necessarily mean that the tire is the issue, just that the removal of all of that rotating mass may have stopped whatever is flexing.

Another thought in my mind is what the swing arm is doing. I wonder if the pinion on the end of the shaft is trying to walk up the ring gear, causing the swing arm to flex and the rim/tire to come off axis. Once it does this, it just starts to oscillate back and forth.
You could strap the front of the bike down with cinch straps to keep it from moving and put a dial indicator gauge on the end of the swing arm or part of the pumpkin. See if you can see one side flexing up and down while the wheel is spinning.

I wonder if anybody with a braced swingarm has seen this issue?

:biglaugh:193 kilometers an hour OR 120mph "STAIGHT AS AN ARROW....NO HEAD SHAKE AT ALL!!!
--- 1 slightly bent rim " he said he's seen this on new rims as well" He repaired it. Onley took a tiny weight to bring it into spec.
---- The tire was hopeless. Although new, he couldnt get it within "his specs" Tossed it :biglaugh:
---He also told me that the back tire is to big and said if I wanted better handling in the corners to go a different tire pattern and narrower.
---Installed new brigestone 140/ 90 instead of stock 150/90 He did such a good job that it needed NO weights.
----Final out come...."0" wobble. NO front end weave wobble or shake.
--- Cornering, no problems, no weave.
----lane change at 140kms,..no weave.
---The handle bars are absolutley calm at high speed. Its like riding a new bike. My trust is comming back.
--Air pressure front 35 rear 32.
--No air in front forks.
---- dont have to put my feet on the front foot pegs to steady it any more at high speed.
Now its time to paint the bike RED. "happy once again":biglaugh:
Never again will I run a spit fire tire on any thing.

Attachments

• vmaxtire 007.jpg
    vmaxtire 007.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 16
  • vmaxtire 003.jpg
    vmaxtire 003.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 17
  • vmaxtire 004.jpg
    vmaxtire 004.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 18
  • vmaxtire 002.jpg
    vmaxtire 002.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 15
  • vmaxtire 001.jpg
    vmaxtire 001.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 17
wow. interesting. what was the final bill?, if u don't mind me asking.

Ok, to sum up Rip's post: REAR TIRE CHANGE OUT (to a well balanced one) = WOBBLE SOLVED!

To a LOT of guys over the last 25 years, I'd like to take this opportunity to say "I TOLD YOU SO!" So there.

Rip, you just made my day. Thank you.

seems your right,... to much tire on the back end. Once it goes out a tiny bit, and because of the large mass spinning around,..all hell breaks loose, where as a smaller tire or low profile wouldt be as extream. I had this problem with my bike since I bought it. The neck bearings needed adjustment, and all seemed to be fine for a while, but it was just masking the real problem. So as the back end got worse, the new neck adjustment still couldnt handle what was growing larger in the rear.

wow. interesting. what was the final bill?, if u don't mind me asking.

1 tire ----$130.00
3 hours labour--$240.00 " includes wheel staightning and balance.
$370 grande total. I feel that was more than fare. I dont know how to fix rims.He solved it I didnt.:biglaugh:
p.s I have a great looking spitfrire tire for sale.......

So you saying the wheel had some runout? How did he repair it? Glad to hear you got it going the way it should now!

Dont know how he fixed it. He does rims for the bike shops, and repairs damaged ones as well. Welds them, re- buffs them, you cant even tell, they look like theve never been damaged.

New up date. The skinny tire has better traction. On a "roll" I used to be able to blaze the rear tire and it would skip, looking for traction. The new tire just seems to dig inn. Cant spin it on a roll anymore.

That might have more to do with the fact that the old tire was a POS with a harder compound and the new is a bit softer/stickier :confused2: Either way, sounds like you got it sorted:punk:

Back