Bike becomes offended when wet???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my 'not-a-mechanic' opinion, Rusty's advice is something I would follow if I had a problem as is-described here.

I think many drivability problems are related to standing gas gumming-up small carb passages, something those who have had a stationary bike for months or years w/o draining the carbs can attest-to. Total disassembly, cleaning and correct re-assembly is the only thing that will fix it. Yamaha OEM gaskets and parts are what to use, aftermarket parts may be cheaper, but spring for what it was built to use.

After that, a good synch and checking for no leaks due to torn diaphragms in the CV cap, good-sealing intake air rubber boots to the top and the bottom of the carbs and the VBoost, and to the airbox, if you still run one, are essential. Undetected vacuum leaks will drive you crazy, thinking it's your CDI, the plugs, the carbs, when it's an air leak, or more than one, which needs to be fixed.

Miami FL is an area of hurricanes and torrential tropical downpours, and while I am not typically riding in monsoons, I have been caught-out in hard rainfalls, and I can't say I ever had my bike falter because of rain into the airbox, soaking the air filter. I now run K&N airpods, but so-far have avoided any similar issues.

let me repeat for those who did not catch the whole thing.

Within the last month the Stator and Voltage Regulator and Battery have all been replaced. The carbs were supposedly rebuilt but I have doubts that they were done correctly now.

I followed someone's advice tonight and started the bike in total darkness with the seat rem oved. I saw NO sparking of any kind. So I sprayed everything electrical with water...lots of it...more than could possibly get on the coils with the seat on. I then soaked the plug wires and filled the areas around the plugs with water.

the bike is still running perfectly now. the water did not cause anything to short out.

I swear this should be an electrical issue if it's water related. But it would seem that tonights experiment should have totally stalled the bike. It is still idling OK again now.

I guess it really is the fuel.

To the person who asked, I use a little bottle of 2 cycle gasoline additive that makes a gallon of fuel for a chain saw because i enjoy pouring it in there. It's blue and I like blue.

It also lubricates the upper end of the engine more effectively...I want to do that since this bike has gone from sitting unused for years to being driven 75 miles 5 days a week at freeway speeds.

I think this damn thing is just too old and I need to sell it and get a later model. It just needs too much work in too many areas.

Within the last month the Stator and Voltage Regulator and Battery have all been replaced. The carbs were supposedly rebuilt but I have doubts that they were done correctly now.

I followed someone's advice tonight and started the bike in total darkness with the seat rem oved. I saw NO sparking of any kind. So I sprayed everything electrical with water...lots of it...more than could possibly get on the coils with the seat on. I then soaked the plug wires and filled the areas around the plugs with water.

the bike is still running perfectly now. the water did not cause anything to short out.

I swear this should be an electrical issue if it's water related. But it would seem that tonights experiment should have totally stalled the bike. It is still idling OK again now.

To the person who asked, I use a little bottle of 2 cycle gasoline additive that makes a gallon of fuel for a chain saw because i enjoy pouring it in there. It's blue and I like blue.

It also lubricates the upper end of the engine more effectively...I want to do that since this bike has gone from sitting unused for years to being driven 75 miles 5 days a week at freeway speeds.

I think this damn thing is just too old and I need to sell it and get a later model. It just needs too much work in too many areas.

I saw an '06 w/<4K miles on it for <$6K. PM me if interested.

And, here's another one: http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2007-Yamaha-Vmax-1200-110835886
2007 Yamaha Vmax 1200, THIS IS A VERY NICE AND EXTREMELY FAST BIKE WITH LOW MILES. I HAVE NOT HAD THE TIME TO RIDE IT NEARLY AS MUCH AS THE BIKE DESERVES. THERE IS A BIT OF PAINT DISCOLORATION ON THE RIGHT BRAKE RESERVOIR FROM BRAKE FLUID. SMALL CLAMP MARKES ON THE HANDLEBARS FROM A FORMER WINDSCREEN. $5,250.00 phone 540-354-1916 in PA.

Last edited:
I'm interested in this two stroke additive thing. Sorry your bike is being shitty, John. I'd be happy to come up and help fiddle with things on Sunday if you'd like... Or some other upcoming weekend. At least we could both stand around looking at it and scratching our heads if nothing else.

I'm interested in this two stroke additive thing. Sorry your bike is being shitty, John. I'd be happy to come up and help fiddle with things on Sunday if you'd like... Or some other upcoming weekend. At least we could both stand around looking at it and scratching our heads if nothing else.

You know, every once in a great while, that approach actually works!! :rofl_200:

Just wondering, did you ever take a look in the tank? Any rust there?

Like few guy's said rusty tank can let small flakes get through to the carbs, Also gas tank vent can rust closed. The vent on top of the gas tank small vent hose need to pull off to check. Carbs may need to be re-clean. I been through this before man what a pain. Now I been taking long trips on the bike.

Danny and few other's help me work on the bike to work it out my self... I learn a hole lot few months ago.

Also I have gotten bad gas before to few months ago.

Attachments

• vmaxbadgas.jpg
    vmaxbadgas.jpg
    43.8 KB
  • vmaxdirtygasfilter.jpg
    vmaxdirtygasfilter.jpg
    42.1 KB
I use a little bottle of 2 cycle gasoline additive that makes a gallon of fuel for a chain saw because i enjoy pouring it in there.

It's blue and I like blue.

That makes me laugh, not at you, but in delight at the human condition and propensity for doing things simply because we "wanna"

Rock On!!!

TraumaHawk was kind enough to drive down from his home and look at my bike. He lives a couple of hours from me.

He's a really nice guy.

He told me a lot of things about my bike that I did not know...and that my former mechanic should have known.

I have air forks. The valves are missing so no air in them. My mechanic should have known that.

My fuel filter is very old. He should have replaced that when he rebuilt the carbs...as he should have replaced the air filter.

He reported that one of the coils was cracked. I assumed he replaced it. he did not.

My final opinion on this matter is that the COP mod will solve my problems. The current ignition system is too old and prone to compromise by moisture.

However, now the clutch is about to go out. So I am no longer riding this bitch until some other things in my life are straightened out.

I was very nice meeting JohnBlaid in person. That is one of the things that I really like about this forum, is meeting people in real life, after having contact on here with them.

Like I had said during the get together, its not a bad bike at all, I rode it. It runs strong, doesnt smoke, and sounds good. It just has some issues.

I let him ride my bike...so that way he can get a good idea of how they are supposed to run, and what they are capable of.

All in all it was a great day.

Yes and after activating VBoost on his bike, I need new underwear. Mine doesn't do that by a long shot.

Latest posts

Back