Brake upgrade

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good question pegscraper. I've also had some conflicting information. On an '85 vmax with a stock front end, can I directly bolt on later model rotors (which, I take it, have a larger diameter), or do I need some sort of adapter for the rotors as well as for the Busa calipers?

You do not need adapters for the rotors. They are a direct bolt on to the wheel. However, if you install the rotors the calipers will not clear so you have to use an adapter to allow for different or relocated calipers.

Sean

I'm unclear on one detail. On your adapters to mount the Busa calipers, do these adapters mount them to the earlier model VMX or the later? If the earlier, what does it take to mount Busa calipers to the later ones?

The adapters I have are for the Busa to early forks. Most people use the R1 calipers on thier newer (93+) forks. They aren't nearly as good in my opinion as what we can do for the early forks but they are a simple bolt on for those guys.

I do think I might have one remaining set of direct bolt on 6 piston calipers for the newer Vmax's. They do not need adapters but are very hard to find.

Sean

Ok 2 out of 3 steps done. Pictures taken and now uploaded on computer. I will attempt posting them when I get home from daughter's soccer practice. Stay tuned.

Ok, here is my first attempt at posting pictures so bear with me.

Attachments

• 279.jpg
    279.jpg
    85.8 KB
  • 280.jpg
    280.jpg
    76.2 KB
  • 281.jpg
    281.jpg
    71 KB
  • 285.jpg
    285.jpg
    109.7 KB
  • 286.jpg
    286.jpg
    99.3 KB
  • 287.jpg
    287.jpg
    100.8 KB
  • 283.jpg
    283.jpg
    85.7 KB
The adapters I have are for the Busa to early forks. Most people use the R1 calipers on thier newer (93+) forks. They aren't nearly as good in my opinion as what we can do for the early forks but they are a simple bolt on for those guys.

I do think I might have one remaining set of direct bolt on 6 piston calipers for the newer Vmax's. They do not need adapters but are very hard to find.

Sean

Can an adapter be made to fit the 6 piston tokico's to the 93 and up forks since it is so hard to find the ones that are a direct bolt on?

It can be done but I believe it would take a machined adapter to make it happen. Much more expensive to make then what we have.

Sean

Sean

I do already have the R1 calipers and love them. But if the 'busa calipers are better still, then I want them. There's no such thing as too much stopping power.

Okay, I've searched and searched on this board and I give up. What brand are the bolt on calipers and what bike do they come from or where do I look for them?

What would you want for your set? PM me please if you don't want to put that out here. I probably cannot do them right now, but I'd like to know what to expect.

I have a large mill. If I were to make some adapter brackets for the more common 'busa calipers, what thickness of material should I use for the adapters? What is the mounting bolt spacing on these more common calipers?

I believe the calipers are yzf750R which I don't even know if they made stateside. I don't remember if I have a pair left but will try to remember to check.

.100 is about the thinnest you would want to go on the material but I don't think the offset will right at that thickness. I'm thinking it would have to be a milled part and probably in the 0.500" or thicker.

Sean

Sean

I just wanted to let you guys know that if you are interested in doing the same conversion as in the pictures I posted above, I have a guy from the Warrior forum who is selling a pair of 05 rotors with only 800 miles on them. PM me if you are interested.

Okay to get this straight in my pea brain, Busa calipers / adapters WON'T work on 93+ forks?

What year R1 calipers are a direct bolt on?
I see that the older R1's are 2 piston and the 07-08 R1's are a 3 piston caliper.

Maybe something I need post post on my website. A FAQ section.

The 93+ forks can use:
99-03 R1 Front Calipers (Blue or Gold Inserts)
99-03/04?? R6 Calipers (Blue or Gold Inserts)
Warrior Calipers (Silver Inserts)
Raider Calipers??

Most of these are identified by the fastening bolts going sideways through the fork leg and thread into the caliper. The radial brake versions will not fit and have the bolts going through the top of the caliper and thread into the fork.

The eariler FZR and other model calipers will also fit and came in a variety of colors but there will be no performance advantage with them. The r1/r6 calipers won't give a huge upgrade but nice simple conversion

The race 750's for a few years had the 6 piston setups and were a bolt on for the 93" forks. I have 2 sets on hand right now.

Sean

Sean, You mention that the R1/R6 wont give a huge performance upgrade. Are they any better than the stock V Max calipers?

Yes, a little for sure. Just not as dramatic as the upgrade I can get the earlier fork guys.

Sean

do you guys really feel the front brakes dont' brake hard enough. I've never felt like the front brakes are under powered at all. pound for pound i gotta imagine they brake pretty damn good. its never gonna stop like a sport bike b/c u got an extra 200 lbs....

(93+ brakes)

the rear brakes on the other hand i hate the stock rotor. love the new EBC rotor and ORGANIC (thanks sean!) pads. beautiful combo.

You need to try the 6 piston setup from the 750's I have. Softer hit when first applied but more stopping power. I will send them to you for testing if you want to try them out. If you like them you can buy em. If not send them back. Then you can post the info on here.

Email me if you want to try it. I can send them with the header.

Sean

You need to try the 6 piston setup from the 750's I have. Softer hit when first applied but more stopping power. I will send them to you for testing if you want to try them out. If you like them you can buy em. If not send them back. Then you can post the info on here.

Email me if you want to try it. I can send them with the header.

Sean

i'll call u later if ya don't mind.

Anybody using EBC floating rotors on the old style front ends?
I did the 4 pot Nissin's and like um. Light and strong. The brided lines help alot too.

They work fine too and it's been awhile since I used them on the front. My last pair of fronts ended up on two different bikes on the rears! I haven't priced them in awhile but I sell about all the EBC stuff too.

Sean

Back