Brake upgrade

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i love EBCs solid rotor. put one on my old '94 and on my 03. matches the front but is non-floating. night and day vs stock.

I believe they also work up front as a direct bolt on for 92 and under forks.

Attachments

• 7229_529531113519_27801519_31523424_3212637_n.jpg
    7229_529531113519_27801519_31523424_3212637_n.jpg
    53 KB
i love EBCs solid rotor. put one on my old '94 and on my 03. matches the front but is non-floating. night and day vs stock.

I believe they also work up front as a direct bolt on for 92 and under forks.
Did the same thing last year. priced well and way nicer than stock.

Maybe something I need post post on my website. A FAQ section.

The 93+ forks can use:
99-03 R1 Front Calipers (Blue or Gold Inserts)
99-03/04?? R6 Calipers (Blue or Gold Inserts)
Warrior Calipers (Silver Inserts)
Raider Calipers??

Most of these are identified by the fastening bolts going sideways through the fork leg and thread into the caliper. The radial brake versions will not fit and have the bolts going through the top of the caliper and thread into the fork.

The eariler FZR and other model calipers will also fit and came in a variety of colors but there will be no performance advantage with them. The r1/r6 calipers won't give a huge upgrade but nice simple conversion

The race 750's for a few years had the 6 piston setups and were a bolt on for the 93" forks. I have 2 sets on hand right now.

Sean
Sean, what brakes would you have or suggest for my '90 front forks ?

Sean, what brakes would you have or suggest for my '90 front forks ?
Sean offers brackets which allows us with the 41mm forks to mount 1998 to 2004 (I think??) hayabusa calipers. I am going that route this year myself, I can hardly wait to see how much better it will stop w/ the 'busa's, HH pads and SS lines. I'm staying with stock M/C for now to see if this combo works for me. My last brakes started cupping the front tire(shinko) at around 6k from new so I'm going try a ME880 up front to see if it's any better.

Yes, my conversion (that he may not know about) is far better then the R1 conversion. You can use the first gen busa (and I think maybe some of the other models) 6 piston calipers. So you need my adapters, a set of calipers, and a set of newer vmax/FJR/R1/R6 Rotors. Far cheaper and better braking then anyone else previously offered.

I have everything but of course I will be more then if you get the parts used on ebay. I have used and new stuff.
Sean

im just looking to piece one together. i found r1 calipers for 60, and rotors for 50. but looks like my brackets are gonna be the $$. i only want the blue dot cause of the looks. im not really complaining about stopping power. Can u piece an r1 kit together and how much for your busa kit?

The busa parts are the rotors (you already have) and then my adapters ($40-$50 depending on finish) and then the calipers ($150-$200 from me but you can score them for less on ebay sometimes).

You end up with better brakes then the R1 when it's all done anyway.

Sean

What do u have price wise on rotors. im only getting ready for the swap because rotors are severly worn. Almost like someone let them grind then pad slapped them.

I have just installed hayabusa calipers w/ Sean's adapters, SS lines, HH pads and wavy rotors from Hong Kong on my '92. Once I had the brakes bled properly I found the brakes to be great. Two fingers to stop and can even lock them if I try with two fingers. I'm contemplating installing '03 FJR masters but will see after this season of usage.
I picked up the calipers off of Ebay for $72, Sean's adapter(can't remember price but I think they were $40-50), the rotors were $180 for 3. Great upgrade on the cheap.

Attachments

• IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    83.9 KB
  • IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    84.5 KB
what are the possibilities of fork swaps on the early to late model. can u change just the lower fork from 93+ on the 92-inner tubes? or do the clamps and tree have to be changed?

also what were the the other forks that were a direct bolt to the vmax. not change the stems or any fabbing just bolt on.

Only bolt on is the 93-07 front end (at least for an improvement). You need triples on down (You can reuse the wheel and axle but not rotors). You can buy aftermarket triples and then you can "bolt on" sportbike forks.

Sean

So someone does make aftermarket triples specificly for the bike to fit others. guess i need to dig deeper. want to do it all right the first time and what i want so im not spending to much. and i talked to you about the trans a few months back. I am still interested but its def going to be a winter project.
Any better thread on forks and usd forks on here or where i can find the after market triples

Keep your stock front end. Just put Racetech, Busa calipers, late model rotors, Morley's 'Busa adapters and you are golden...IMO.

The aftermarket triples are expensive (looking at $1200-$1500) so not an option it sounds like you are looking for. As Mark noted a good set of springs (racetech or progressive) and the brake upgrade stuff and you'll have a new bike.

Sean

I know its an improvement but i really think i was just looking at them for the looks. i know thats silly but i thikn i have plenty of braking. im talking to a guy at work and his buddy does cnc maching work. so i think i may be able to figure the brackets out if i can get measurements. or possibly borrow someones bracket. id hate to order overseas just to copy them and send back. Maybe start selling them if anyone has these we can measure or if some one can post pics and measurements up?

As some noted:

1 - Busa Calipers ARE the way to go. They are six piston and need more fluid to work which takes a bit of the harshness out of the Vmax setup. Plus the increased pad surface area and larger rotors really brake awesome. So more lever travel but better feel for what the brakes are doing and much less effort. 2 fingers (I can use 1) will brake you as fast as you want. They are 6 piston calipers. They do require my adapters ($30 for stainless, $40 for coated, and $50 for chromed).

The R1 adapters cost considerably more and don't give as good a brakes (though a hell of a lot better then stock 92 and older).

2 - They also require 93-07 Vmax rotors (as well as the early years R1/R6/FJR fit). These are a bolt on and need no adapters to work. If they say they will fit those bikes then you are in business.

3 - Pretty much any master will work from any metric series bike with 7/8th handlebars. The FJR will give an even stronger braking power but not needed. The stock vmax masters work well with the busa setup.

4 - As noted, HEL or Galfer both make that color (check thier site and tell me what color of lines and fittings you want when you make the order). Also, do you want 2 line (a little cheaper) or 3 line system (similar to stock).

5 - We have used one of the custom mounts that you see online which lets you use the R1 calipers. Looks cool and lets you use the bigger rotor again. We have not tried the busa rear but I bet it would work quite well and maybe also take away some of the overkill when hitting the brake sharply. But, it will be easier to lock them up if you get aggressive. If you want to try one and are willing to get an extra caliper (or take the time to install the one you get for the front first) I will send an extra adapter for free.

Sean Morley

ok, I have a couple questions

can I use any year busa calipers? ( i have some 08,09's )
do I have to change rotors? another vmax site said my 85's would work.
although I know bigger is better, and floating is even better.

I plan on getting Sean's adapters for the swap.

ok, I have a couple questions

can I use any year busa calipers? ( i have some 08,09's )
do I have to change rotors? another vmax site said my 85's would work.
although I know bigger is better, and floating is even better.

I plan on getting Sean's adapters for the swap.
I recently did the Hayabusa upgrade to my '92. You'll of course need Sean's adapter, set of Hayabusa non radial calipers (mine were from a 2002) and a set of larger rotors (298mm).

Attachments

• IMG_0721.jpg
    IMG_0721.jpg
    104.3 KB
  • IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    77.8 KB
Back