Clutch slave mounting bolt broke!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you already have the easy out removed (sounds like you do) I would try using a left hand tap and buy a corresponding bolt for the tap. You can use a socket and extensions to drive the tap. I would heat the area before using the tap in hopes that it would drive the broken bolt out. If the tap does not, I would then try the left hand bolt. Also, I have had the best luck with screw extractors versus easy outs.

get

+1 to these Mike, there is nothing easy about an easyout. The procedure is to drill the biggest on center hole without touching the old threads, tap this tool into what's left of the old bolt (just a shell) heat is your friend. I've never broke one of these yet. Of course you need room too, which is an issue with Tex T.
Good luck Tex on the new purchase.
Steve-o

I picked up the 97 tonight, a little rough around the edges, but might be restorable. Going to have a machinest friend come over and give that clutch slave bolt one more try on the 85, and if we can't get it, I'll start swapping parts on the 97 and see if I can get it running. Will post some pics tomorrow!

VMAXAD.jpg

I picked up the 97 tonight, a little rough around the edges, but might be restorable. Going to have a machinest friend come over and give that clutch slave bolt one more try on the 85, and if we can't get it, I'll start swapping parts on the 97 and see if I can get it running. Will post some pics tomorrow!

Not 100% sure but from the picture it looks like your new Vmax has a 17" rear, blue spot brakes, aftermarket exhaust - add to that the fact it's 12 years newer with improved suspension etc - I would say that you've made the right decision

Also, if you get the '85 back running you can sell it on to feed the mod monkey :punk:

The 97 should be a good platform to keep. Move over what you need and sell the rest!

Hey texas-ss-tornado, I live semi-close to you. I live in Noble, OK which is on the south border with Norman, OK. Anyway, I looked for that listing and could never find it. I use Statesidelist for craigslist by state. Am looking for opportunities with vmax every day so I don't know why it did not show up on my searches.

My concern is that I am not seeing all the offerings out there. Thanks.

Might need to buy his 85 and make a project out of it! I have a couple of "Project" bikes too if you are interested. It's very rare to see them that cheap though.

Sean

Hey texas-ss-tornado, I live semi-close to you. I live in Noble, OK which is on the south border with Norman, OK. Anyway, I looked for that listing and could never find it. I use Statesidelist for craigslist by state. Am looking for opportunities with vmax every day so I don't know why it did not show up on my searches.

My concern is that I am not seeing all the offerings out there. Thanks.

It was literally on Craigslist for 5 minutes, I saw it right after he listed it, called him, told him it was sold, and he deleted the ad. Probably wasn't out there 30 minutes total.

Has your '85 got original side covers? I really should keep a spare set in case something happens.
Let me know if you break it up! :biglaugh:

Well, spent about 4 hours today working on the 97, it's up and running GOOD! All that was wrong with it was a bad coil, I had one on the shelf, slapped it on and fired her up, runs like a Swiss watch! Went ahead and replaced the spark plugs and changed the oil and filter, just cause I figured it had been a long time, anti-freeze looks pretty good so I left it alone. Man, that 4 into 1 exhuast sounds great too, I don't know what kind it is, but it's LOUD! Didn't have to steal anything from the 85, not the carbs, not even the battery! $700 bucks for a running VMAX, can't beat that! 2nd gear is good too, made sure of that, the V-Boost is working, fan kicked on, didn't overheat, isn't leaking anything, damn I'm good! Now all I have to do is clean it up a bit, it's also got some crazy kind of aftermarket headlight on it, I will probably put an original back on it, and a small factory shield, got one of those on the shelf too. It came with a set of polished wheels, so those are going on too, the wheels on it are in real ugly shape, looks like it's spent some time out doors. The faux tank has a nice dent in it, and one of the side covers too, but I can deal with the cosmetic stuff. A good friend of mine is coming over Sunday to see if we can get the that bolt out of the slave cylinder, if that doesn't work, I'll be parting it out, will post up here first of course! Turned out to be a fine day here in Dallas, 75 degrees and sunny, think I'll go ride it up to the car wash and get the first layer of dirt off of it! :punk:

Great to hear of your steal.......... I mean deal, sounds like you earned it!

I'm dejected, defeated and ready to move on. Bike will be parted out. Has a BEAUTIFUL freshly rebuilt set of stock carbs on it, will post a thread in the for sale section.

002-44.jpg

Back