clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t3ttp

Reaction score
received new to me barnett hub and springs. i also purchased 7 new yamaha friction plates. should i change the 1/2 size friction plate to a full size? i do not have any instructions with the the barnett hub and springs. if i change the 1/2 to full friction plate, do i eliminate any parts (like the wire retainer)?

You don't have to change out the half size plate. You can if you want to,

If you want to change it to a full size friction then you thow away the old half size one, and the two parts under it which are the clutch boss spring, and clutch boss spring seat. You also would throw away the retaining wire. Don't forget to soak the new frictions in oil

Full size gives more holding power.

Not sure on any of these comments but I've read the following. Removing the clutch boss spring eliminates the factory built in "cushion" in the clutch. Replacing the half disk makes the clutch less likely to slip but something else more likely break

Go here for more info http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/clutch.htm

I have it all stock with the Barnett plate and it works great. If you're racing, you'll want to replace the half size, but if you're just on the street, I'd leave it as is.

Chris

How's the Barnett work against stock? Is there any noticeable difference in the lever pull or "feel" of the clutch? I'm kind of interested in one after hearing lots of people say even a good stock clutch slips on hard accel.

Holds a little better than stock. Not as well as the Double D
Lever pull is pretty similar to stock, maybe a bit more effort req'd.
Some people don't like diaphragm spring type clutches and say that coil springs offer more "feel" to then and say that a diaphragm style is more on or off.

I've got a coil spring conversion that uses OEM yamaha parts if you're interested.

Holds a little better than stock. Not as well as the Double D
Lever pull is pretty similar to stock, maybe a bit more effort req'd.
Some people don't like diaphragm spring type clutches and say that coil springs offer more "feel" to then and say that a diaphragm style is more on or off.

I would agree with that. It's a little harder to pull on, but I like the more linear feel of it over the diaphragm style.

I have the DD mod and only noticed the heavier pull for a couple of weeks then it became "normal" to me. I don't ride in heavy traffic or in any traffic really but if I did maybe I would notice it more.:confused2:

I also have the DD, and will never go back. Pull is twice as hard, and just like someone else said, ON or OFF is the clutch feel. You get used to it, traffic ain't bad
No slipping at high rpm, and if you want neck snapping tire chirping shifts through the first 3 gears....you'll be happy.

Latest posts

Back