Did shotgun... have questions...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry its early, its main purpose is to draw air into the carbs main circuits. Im no carb pro, but these circuits are needed to for the air to fuel mixtures of the carbs. With any restriction to these, which happens often, performance will hinder. By doing the shotgun at least once a year will keep them clean and clear of debris

I'm doing the shotgun because for some reason while in storage this winter the bike developed a problem when taking off from a start. When I try to take off it wants to stall so I thought doing the shotgum would help, can't hurt.

Gotta pull out the jet block and clean out the pilot fuel jets or all the rest is for naught.

What are the Jet Blocks and where are they located? why does the instructions on the shotgun which everyone says is a good procedure does not mention what you just referred to ???

Shotgun is good for general maintenance but if the bike has been sitting for a long time without use the fuel gums up the pilots preventing fuel from flowing through it. Follow the manual for the procedure of removal. It is more involved as you have to disassemble the carbs to get to them.

This I will try the shotgun before thinking about rebuilding my carbs

What are the Jet Blocks and where are they located?

The jet blocks are inside the fuel bowls, they are the bits the main jets are screwed into.

To get to them you need to remove the carbs and open the fuel bowls. Check my carb rebuild thread to see it all in pictures. I can't remember for sure but I think you need to break up the carbs (ie separate them) to get to all the fuel bowl screws. Then you can remove the jet blocks and blow them with carb cleaner and compressed air. Lots of tiny holes there, which is why they easily get gummed up.

Doing so is not a full carb rebuilt, but it'll most definitely help, and give you a chance to check all your seals and o-rings are ok, as well as checking your float heights on the bench and making sure your needle valves are in good condition.

The jet blocks are inside the fuel bowls, they are the bits the main jets are screwed into.

To get to them you need to remove the carbs and open the fuel bowls. Check my carb rebuild thread to see it all in pictures. I can't remember for sure but I think you need to break up the carbs (ie separate them) to get to all the fuel bowl screws. Then you can remove the jet blocks and blow them with carb cleaner and compressed air. Lots of tiny holes there, which is why they easily get gummed up.

Doing so is not a full carb rebuilt, but it'll most definitely help, and give you a chance to check all your seals and o-rings are ok, as well as checking your float heights on the bench and making sure your needle valves are in good condition.

Since Sean rebuilt my carbs right before I put the bike in storage for the winter and it was running perfect then... I'm hoping that when I do the shotgun all my problems will be done. I have about 3 weeks to get this stuff done because I have my first surgery June 10th..

That was why I was going to sell my bike but then Saturday when my Ebay auction ended I decided to keep the bike, since Sat. I have had 2 people email and say they are interested........lol I told them it wasn't for sale any longer.

I'll feel really good if I can get everything strightened out before I have my surgery even if I can't ride it after....

OK I needed to vent........lol

Thanks
Ron

I just saw something that is a bit confusing, I am going to do the shotgun later this weekend and I was looking at the manual and saw this pic

shotgun.jpg

When I pull out the diaphragms is that a needle that come out with them??

I just saw something that is a bit confusing, I am going to do the shotgun later this weekend and I was looking at the manual and saw this pic

shotgun.jpg

When I pull out the diaphragms is that a needle that come out with them??

yes it is attached at the bottom of the slide.

Thanks, This now has me thinking.... can a jet kit be installed with the carbs on the bike or do you have to remove them?

Thanks, This now has me thinking.... can a jet kit be installed with the carbs on the bike or do you have to remove them?

depends if u change your mains. if you change your mains you just have to turn them upside down but not take them 'off the bike' perse.

if not doing mains or float levels you should be fine. to leave them on the bike.

I'm thinking about taking a road trip later this summer to Sean's and have him put one of his kits in. It's a long trip and I don't plan on riding my VMAX, I'll put it in the back of a pickup and take the road trip.

I liked the stage 7 I had in 2 other of my VMAX'S but that was when I had a mechanic who knew what he was doing... Now up here I don't trust any of them.

Anyways that is a wish list for later this summer

Latest posts

Back