Doofus backed into Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnMax/Magniac

Reaction score
I was sitting in the barber's chair, minding my own business, when this guy backs his jacked-up pickup into the front fender of my Max. Luckily, my wheel was straight and he hit it straight from the front, so it did not fall over and the damage was confined to the fender only. Knocked a chip off the front about 3/4" deep and 3" across. I could grind or file a rounded front back onto the fender, but it's an '85, serial no. 000369, with only 18,000 miles, so it's collectible and a modified fender would reduce it's value significantly (to a collector). :damn angry:
Yamaha wants almost $300 for a fender from a '90, which is the closest color but not identical, so it would have to be painted to match for another $200 or so. (The '85 fender is no longer available from Yamaha.) I think the paint code is on the bike somewhere, but I'm not sure where. Anyone know the location of a tag or plate on the frame or panel that would have this info? :ummm:
The guy's insurance co is sending an adjuster, and I want to have my ducks in a row before he comes. I figure they'll try to lowball me on everything, so I want all the ammo I can get. Thanks for any info.

I hate stupid drivers..... sounds like this guy was one of them!! Good luck with the adjuster, don't settle for anything but back to the way it was!!

if they start screwing you around, maybe look into how jacked up his truck is. lots of places people go well past the law on what they can do, tire size or sticking out. the big one is they dont add to the bumper to lower it as they are soo high in the air, cars and bikes can go under the vehicle instead of hitting the bumper. that might have been a good thing in your case as then for sure it would have pushed your bike back and off the stand. anyways just in case you need more ammo. Bastard wrecking a classic 85 :damn angry:

You should be ok though - even at $300 for a new fender + $200 to match the paint, it's still only $500 and an '85 in good condition sells for $2500 - 4000 any day.

good luck!

Maybe you could do a salvage yard search for an 85 red fender that is still in good condition?

Then after you get that insurance check, take the old one and shove it up the guys ARSE for putting you through this ordeal to begin with.

As an owner of a stock 85 red one, I think I just shed a tear reading about this mishap.

Good luck with the insurance company.

I have an 85 front fender in maroon......

Its not in great shape though.....I haven't cleaned it up yet.....

I bought the fenders and sidepanels and airbox cover as a paint set......:confused2:

You want to see a picture???

I'll see what I can do:punk:

I had a guy knock over my Max while I was in a convenience store. He actually picked up the bike, put it back on the side stand and took off. A witness saw it and descibed the truck and direction of travel. I caught up to the guy and one year later, tha Gecko paid off $2,700 in damage. Anyway, get a perfect fender on Ebay or this forum and look up ColorRite.com. They have the exact factory color for you including the clearcoat. Bad Bing, your good as 1985! Your painter might appreciate starting with a flat black fender from a 97 I think. Scuff, prime and paint and get a perfect match. Good luck friend.

I have a suggestion , I used to work at a body shop for years , most insurance adjusters are scum bags , so make sure you have bail money readily available , because your going to wind up kicking his fucking ass ! ........ THIS IS NO JOKE !

Hey, I've got an 85 (#434) that I don't mind having a later model fender on. I painted it yellow but if you want an original 85 fender, I'll trade ya for a straight one, no matter what the year, no charge. I've got more yellow paint.
Good luck,

Hey, I've got an 85 (#434) that I don't mind having a later model fender on. I painted it yellow but if you want an original 85 fender, I'll trade ya for a straight one, no matter what the year, no charge. I've got more yellow paint.
Good luck,[/QUOTE]
" WOW " NOW THERES A FELLOW V-MAXER , " STEPPING UP " !:punk::punk::punk:..... THIS FORUM IS AMAZING !...:punk::punk::punk:

I have an 85 front fender in maroon......

Its not in great shape though.....I haven't cleaned it up yet.....

I bought the fenders and sidepanels and airbox cover as a paint set......:confused2:

You want to see a picture???

I'll see what I can do:punk:

A pic would be great. If there are no nicks or scratches in it, how much would you want for it?

A pic would be great. If there are no nicks or scratches in it, how much would you want for it?

It's kinda rough and has some hairline cracks in it......probably not what you want....

I'll clean it up and get a pic up ASAP .......

If you wanted it I'd just swap for another fender.......

It is a paint set so condition/year/color does not matter as much to me....

Well, he has admitted full fault, so his ins. co. will be paying, so maybe I'll hold out for new fender from Yam, and I know a painter who can match just about anything. It's only money.

Latest posts

Back