Emulator Kit - worth it?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Success!! After a slow response from Race Tech to get the right size emulator to me (bunch of stoners), I got them installed myself yesterday. I think the hardest part was actually drilling the holes in the damper rod. This forum's awesome; wouldn't have done it without the info provided here. I went with 15wt oil, 64lb preload spring, and two turns in. I was afraid I was going too stiff (.95 springs), but I have a nice firm sporty, yet plush feel. I've only put 15 city miles on them, but I can't think of any changes I would do to the emulator (maybe after a couple hundred miles). My front end feels DIALED! I can actually turn the bike now by torquing the handlebars (couldn't do that before). I was casually taking turns last night at speeds that seemed aggressive before.

As good as the springs, emulators, and fork brace make the front end feel, it instantly makes you feel how awful the back end of the bike is. I get so much more response and feedback from by handlebars than my pegs or saddle right now. I'm also regretting putting a 170 tire on the back (that's definitely not helping with any response).

As piss pour as the customer service was with Race Tech I definitely appreciate a well-designed product; totally worth it. Now I just need to explore options for the rear. Maybe Race Tech again if they can give me another decent discount and not be fools about sending the right product. If they can improve the rear as much as the front I'm sold. After dropping the front tubes 3/4" in the trees, I may decide to drop the back .5" and go with some 12.5" springs.

For now I'm just going to ride it, appreciating my front and hating my back. Thanks for all the help and advice.

ya man, just ride and enjoy right now. as far as the back, consider the ones by Progressive Suspension. They seem to be the most used and well-received brand by the forum. Congrats on the build. wasn't so bad, huh? makes you think what else you can diy, huh? i think you may now have the bug. hahahahaha

Back