engine bearings

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Short answer - don't know.
Possibly a daft question but have you established that the clearances are out of spec? i.e. plasti-gauged?
If they are have you measures the journals?

IMO it isn't a case of slapping the thickest bearing in and hoping for the best.

Yamaha used to publish the size of shafts, housings and bearings in parts books such as that for the XS1100 and for that model at least the blue bearing was the thickest. Table two here appears to be incomplete, but you can see enough to know that blue is thickest anyway.

1728744001810.jpeg

Sorry for not knowing every thing I thought this was a place for learning. So you do know that the blue bearing is thickest.
Who does know everything? To reiterate my previous answer, I don't know which is the thickest.

IMO it doesn't matter which is the thickest bearing. What does matter is that whichever bearing you fit gives the correct clearance - 0.021 to 0.043 for the connecting rods and 0.020 to 0.044 for main bearings.
As you have no doubt read, how this is established is explained in the Service manual. I would assume that provided the journals are within spec then you can use the methodology to establish which bearings you need.

It would also be helpful if you explain what you have already done so those trying to help don't go over the ground you have already covered.
Without this we are left to second guess the purpose of the question.

Latest posts

Back